Vintage 1956 Goldtop With Cornell Dubilier Tone Caps

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
Great-looking goldtop! Congrats!

I had never seen those caps before. Learned something new today! :)

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Holy moly what a gorgeous GT! :hyper::h5:

Congratulation!

Mike Irvin

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you ever need to let that one go, please let me know!!

The 56 GT is one of Gibson's best creations!

Congrats again for a seriously sexy guitar!

zappa1777

Reaction score
To my totally amateur eye those solder joints look maybe a little too shiny to be 63 years old, although the company that made the capacitors has been in business long enough to have made them for your '56. Can't wait to find out for sure from those in the know.

ETA: Did you buy your from Vintage Guitar in Germany? They have a '56 for sale with the same caps.
Correct. They were the first company ever to manufacture capacitors actually

Monkeybunch

Reaction score
Grey tigers were made by Cornell Dubilier. Not Sprague
Thanks. Sprague made a version of them that I usually see
BFF7904C-4388-4C77-A338-E55BC7CC0FFC.png
in early 50’s Gibson’s. Heavily waxed. I’ve never seen the version of Cornell Dubiliers being discussed here in a Les Paul before. Until now. Ha ha!

Last edited:

Mike Irvin

Premium Member
Reaction score
MB, I liked your post so much I had to change my avatar!

P-90's rule! :dude:

TM1

Reaction score
I’ve seen the white caps before. Not often, but in maybe 4 or 5 guitars over the last 50 years. I’ve seen probably 75-80 bursts and probably a100 Goldtops a nd way to many Specials & Jr.s.

MyGuitar

Reaction score
To my totally amateur eye those solder joints look maybe a little too shiny to be 63 years old, although the company that made the capacitors has been in business long enough to have made them for your '56. Can't wait to find out for sure from those in the know.

ETA: Did you buy your from Vintage Guitar in Germany? They have a '56 for sale with the same caps.
Caps and especially black tubing are looking to fresh (shiny) after 63 years... Maybe you cleaned them?

Monkeybunch

Reaction score
Caps and especially black tubing are looking to fresh (shiny) after 63 years... Maybe you cleaned them?
Maybe just the way the light is hitting it. I didn’t clean anything. This guitar probably hadn’t been opened up much if at all. Just played and loved. Everything was untouched.

Monkeybunch

Reaction score
I’ve seen the white caps before. Not often, but in maybe 4 or 5 guitars over the last 50 years. I’ve seen probably 75-80 bursts and probably a100 Goldtops a nd way to many Specials & Jr.s.
Thanks, Good to know. I had never seen them before which is the reason for this post. Always nice to get other testimonials from people that have seen things you haven’t. Nobody has seen everything. I’ve been buying and selling and playing these guitars for a long time. Managed a few vintage shops. I’m always discovering something new. Thanks again for your interest. In my research on this topic I’ve found several other factory stock capacitors Gibson used that I’ve never seen as well. Fun stuff! Thanks again.

zappa1777

Reaction score
Thanks. Sprague made a version of them that I usually see View attachment 414295in early 50’s Gibson’s. Heavily waxed. I’ve never seen the version of Cornell Dubiliers being discussed here in a Les Paul before. Until now. Ha ha!
Guitar hq is a wonderful source of info but there are mistakes. This is one of them. Grey tigers were made by Cornell dubilier, not Sprague

Monkeybunch

Reaction score
Guitar hq is a wonderful source of info but there are mistakes. This is one of them. Grey tigers were made by Cornell dubilier, not Sprague
No doubt about that lots of inaccuracies and things that need to be updated on that site. Thanks for your interest. Here’s a similar Sprague version that has been seen in Gibson’s. Although I don’t believe they say Grey Tiger on them. Sometimes Gibson did parts sharing with the amp facility. Other guitar companies did the same. That is not my picture by the way, found it online
DFF1E2A6-C067-475B-A439-499DBAD83FD2.jpeg
DFF1E2A6-C067-475B-A439-499DBAD83FD2.jpeg

Last edited: