Vintage 1956 Goldtop With Cornell Dubilier Tone Caps

Monkeybunch

Reaction score
Has any body seen these caps in a 56 Les Paul? They are white paper cylinders. I just purchased this guitar. Appears to be completely untouched. But I’ve never seen these caps before. Usually gray tigers or bumblebees. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Monkeybunch

Reaction score
Here’s a pic. There are no solder joints broken on this guitar. Bone stock. I’ve been in the vintage business for at least 40 years. I’ve seen a lot of anomalies with vintage electronics and such. Just don’t remember seeing these caps. But I know anything’s possible.
7F29AA0D-D03A-4ED9-A649-352A38E561DE.jpeg

Last edited:

Uncle Vinnie

Premium Member
Reaction score
To my totally amateur eye those solder joints look maybe a little too shiny to be 63 years old, although the company that made the capacitors has been in business long enough to have made them for your '56. Can't wait to find out for sure from those in the know.

ETA: Did you buy your from Vintage Guitar in Germany? They have a '56 for sale with the same caps.

Last edited:

Monkeybunch

Reaction score
To my totally amateur eye those solder joints look maybe a little too shiny to be 63 years old, although the company that made the capacitors has been in business long enough to have made them for your '56. Can't wait to find out for sure from those in the know.

ETA: Did you buy your from Vintage Guitar in Germany? They have a '56 for sale with the same caps.
Thanks for your response. No I didn’t get it from Germany. Got it locally from a friend. These solder joints are untouched. If you’re seeing a little shine it would be from glare off the light or whatever. I’ve been in the vintage business for 40 years. I’ve managed several vintage shops. Guitar is totally stock I was just hoping somebody maybe had seen those particular variety of caps in their 50s Les Paul. Just had a little chat with Tom Wittrock on the other Forum and he agreed. Gibson used several different types of caps from time to time, those included. Cornell Dubilier made a version of the Grey Tigers you usually see in Gold Tops. Some are made by Sprague as well. These aren’t that different just not as wax coated as what I’m used to seeing. One thing you’ll learn in the vintage business is nobody knows everything and things turn up all the time that have not been previously seen. Tom pointed out that Gibson often shared parts with the amplifier factory which was close by because these caps can be used in an amplifier too. If they ran out of parts they went next-door and borrowed some there. Thanks for your input though.

Last edited:

Monkeybunch

Reaction score

Hey Vinnie! Hey thanks for the link I just now noticed it! Ha ha! That really nails it down for me that Guitar in Germany is now the only other one I’ve seen with those caps. They made 920 of these in 1956 I would imagine there’s 100 more out there. Thanks again Vinnie. Where the Hell did you find that?? Is that ad current? Is that guitar still available?? Serial number is very close to mine. What I can see of it anyway. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Uncle Vinnie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. No I didn’t get it from Germany. Got it locally from a friend. These solder joints are untouched. If you’re seeing a little shine it would be from glare off the light or whatever.
Figured it had to be something like that.

Just googled 1956 Les Paul control cavity, clicked on images and they popped up nice as you please. We both learned something about LPs today. I have a '96 R6. '56 GTs are my favorite LPs. I'm overjoyed you have the privilege to own a real one, can't tell you how envious I am. Love to see pics when you have the time.

Monkeybunch

Reaction score
Figured it had to be something like that.

Just googled 1956 Les Paul control cavity, clicked on images and they popped up nice as you please. We both learned something about LPs today. I have a '96 R6. '56 GTs are my favorite LPs. I'm overjoyed you have the privilege to own a real one, can't tell you how envious I am. Love to see pics when you have the time.
Ha ha! I tried that! Didn’t see anything. Good work my friend. Thanks so much. Yeah I’ve just recently rediscovered the glory of P 90s. I was going to get a re-issue because I have a A few PAF guitars and they’re excellent. But I wanted something with P-90’s and this came along and it killed me!! Thanks again. Enjoy that R6 they are great! All the best. Let me Know if you ever see any more!

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I think those were in my friend's '53, but I haven't seen it since '79, so I may be mistaken - and, alas, he sold it in '80 or '81 and passed in '17, so confirmation is not an option.

Monkeybunch

Reaction score
I think those were in my friend's '53, but I haven't seen it since '79, so I may be mistaken - and, alas, he sold it in '80 or '81 and passed in '17, so confirmation is not an option.
Yeah they absolutely could’ve been in a 53. I’ve never seen them before until this guitar and the other folks that have chimed in. Thanks for your response.

Mike Irvin

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, please post some photos of your newly acquired 56 GT please!

The 56 Gold-top is one of my all time favorite guitars. Sunday I finally got my first one. A Wildwood spec lightweight R6 that's way beyond amazing.

Congrats on the find! You have a true Gibson gem!

Monkeybunch

Reaction score
Yes, please post some photos of your newly acquired 56 GT please!

The 56 Gold-top is one of my all time favorite guitars. Sunday I finally got my first one. A Wildwood spec lightweight R6 that's way beyond amazing.

Congrats on the find! You have a true Gibson gem!

Monkeybunch

Reaction score
Thanks for your interest. Those Wildwood R6’s are great. All the newer reissues are great I have several R9’s. I still want a reissue R6 to go with this vintage one. I’ll try to get some pics up sometime. I thought I had moved on from vintage stuff but this one was too hard to resist.