Views on headstock repairs?

TCFA

Reaction score
I'm idly browsing LP Studios (I've particularly always loved wine red LPs (and alpine white too) plus I like the idea of an ebony board and I can combine the two for a good used price maybe ...) and I'm coming across a few with repaired headstocks. Sometimes the repair's a bit messy, other times neater, but long and short is that it saves on the ££s

Used LPs with headstock repairs - good deal or something to avoid?

ps I know I'm fussy with the lacquer damage on my LP trad in another thread but that was brand new and big numbers - I've got a different take on used guitars!

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Get one with a good repair job and you shoukd never have an issue.

SlapChop

Reaction score
I think it depends on the type of break it was. A long, clean break that's been repaired is just as strong as new.

My wine Studio had a break and it was repaired and plays amazing still. Still my favorite guitar and I have a few other nice guitars.

Lightningflash

Reaction score
I have no issue with a headstock repair.
Like someone else said, a guitar is glued together slabs of wood, so what's the big deal about a little more glue at the headstock.

TheX

Not my real pic.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy, repair and KEEP them.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
There's a local luthier/tech I go to when I can't fix a problem. Neck repairs are his specialty. He repaired the neck on a Epi LP Prophecy owned by a former student. The break was near perfect after repair, it was only on a very close inspection that you could see it. And the guitar was as good as new. :thumb:

Blinkers

Banned
Reaction score
I have a repaired headstock and it works just fine for me. No issues to speak of....

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '54 Goldtop had a nasty break in its history, but it's solid as a rock. As others have said, if it's well done, it's not a deal breaker, but should be priced accordingly.

rich85

Reaction score
Each one needs to be treated individually. I would not hesitate to snap up a bargain les paul with a good headstock repair.

If you are going to be a les paul enthusiast you basically have to come to terms with these things in my opinion. We cant just quickly buy a new neck off ebay like those strat guys.

Nobody WANTS a headstock repair, but a good one especially where timber braces have been routed across the break are actually going to be stronger than the original.

RobV

Reaction score
The best sounding most resonant slickest playing guitar I have ever played & owned was a neck broke SG Standard with BB Pro's. I bought a brand new SG Standard and it didn't feel the same. I should have kept that guitar but I was new to guitars & it was my 1st "good" one & I wanted to try more out so I traded it for a sweet P90 LP Special that was really nice but I still miss that SG.

ant_riv

Reaction score
One of my favorite LPs ever has a repaired headstock break.

No issues and it is a great guitar. The repair was so well done that you need to look for it to tell that it has been repaired.

Chris B.

Reaction score
I probably wouldn't buy one online. But if I could check it out, then maybe.

Pesh

Reaction score
+1 to Chris B; if the price was right, and I could see and touch it, then I'd be happy getting one.

Weirdly enough I think I'd be happier buying a visible repair guitar than one with a scarf jointed neck - the aesthetic of them puts me right off for some reason.

HEADKNOCKER

Banned
Reaction score
The only headstock break Les Paul I ever bought I still have & got a great deal & the repair is without a doubt stronger than the wood itself..
It may have even helped the tone of the guitar & the springiness of the headstock too..

I'd buy another if I could see what I was buying..

The last one was bought with just a few pictures from a couple hundred miles away..
With the option to return if not 100% satisfied, Which I was..

Still one of the best bargains I have ever come across..

judson

Reaction score
it always depends on the deal...i honestly dont think it makes a difference but i would have to get one hell of a discount....

i returned one online purchase that maybe i should have kept but it was the second guitar i bought online where the dbag seller did not say anything about a crack or repair......

i still have one of them because it is a great guitar and i dont think about it except like now when someone brings up the topic........

dam i hate that seller but i love the guitar...

ZWILDZR1

Reaction score
Two things, a nice discount and a proper repair if done. Would probably pass on a guitar with a home hack job.

Latest Threads