Video: P90 out of phase

BluesZep

Reaction score
Hello!

I recorded a video comparing the "in phase" and "out of phase" tones on my Gibson Les Paul Special.
I did the magnetic mod, rotating the magnets.

In the video you can hear the tones in and out of phase, and in the end how I did the mod!

Cheers!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG09HtFui6M]YouTube - ‪In Phase and Out of Phase tones - How to do with P90 pickups‬‏[/ame]

jfm07

Reaction score
Nice vid. Jeez, those things are easy to swap.

TKOjams

Reaction score
I'm a little hazy on the whole "out of phase" thing.
Is that tone achieved when the pup selector switch is in the middle pos.?
Does it affect the tone of the neck pup when it's used alone?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
That video makes the out of phase sound FAR more of a significant change than I've ever had in real life. I'm not sure if it's the video or the P90s, but whatever it is - nice job!

BluesZep

Reaction score
I'm a little hazy on the whole "out of phase" thing.
Is that tone achieved when the pup selector switch is in the middle pos.?
Does it affect the tone of the neck pup when it's used alone?
Yes, the tone is achieved with switch in middle. When used alone, pickups aren't affected.

BluesZep

Reaction score
That video makes the out of phase sound FAR more of a significant change than I've ever had in real life. I'm not sure if it's the video or the P90s, but whatever it is - nice job!
Thanks!
In this video, the only post recording edit I did was to adjust volumes, because pickups in phase sound louder.

TKOjams

Reaction score
Yes, the tone is achieved with switch in middle. When used alone, pickups aren't affected.
That's pretty cool. I am working on two guitars right now, both with p90's and I think at least one of them will be betting this treatment.:thumb:
Thanks for posting this.:D

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
In this video, the only post recording edit I did was to adjust volumes, because pickups in phase sound louder.
Yes, that could well be the difference then. Very nice! I like the way the P90s sound together in phase as well.

WolfeMacleod

V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Nice vid. Jeez, those things are easy to swap.
Cripes, you don't even have to take the base-plate off. Just loosen the screws and use a screwdriver to slip the magnets out the side, rotate, and back in.

bluesguitar65

Reaction score
thanks for this cool video. I think I'll try it out on my 50s Trilbute Les Paul Studio. Does it matter which pickup, neck or bridge, you reverse the magnets on?

BluesZep

Reaction score
thanks for this cool video. I think I'll try it out on my 50s Trilbute Les Paul Studio. Does it matter which pickup, neck or bridge, you reverse the magnets on?

Doesn't matter which one. But do it with only one pickup

Reaction score
Nice! This is one of the best comparison videos I have seen.
I love my OOP tone, it really stands out when you engage. Those of you fellas who are
on the fence about it, just try it...its something that you can swap back very easily.

Latest Threads