(Video) Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini - Demo

eslover

Reaction score
Your demos seem to really capture the character of the amps you’re playing. Great job!

redking

Reaction score
Nice demo! Once Dave puts out his "classic series" in the next year or two, I will probably get one.

PS. Don't put your keys in your front left pocket - you may lose them! :rofl:

Del Rei

Reaction score
Your demos seem to really capture the character of the amps you’re playing. Great job!
Thanks for that comment, man. I really appreciate it! :)

Nice demo! Once Dave puts out his "classic series" in the next year or two, I will probably get one.
PS. Don't put your keys in your front left pocket - you may lose them! :rofl:
Thank you, man.
I really love this little amp! Sounds good and in a portable size! :D
Yeah, my left pocket is a bit dangerous... LOL

Del Rei

Reaction score
If you’re not busy, I’m curious as to how you record your guitar? Sounds incredible btw, really good job.
Hey, man.
No problem at all.

Used the amp connected into my isobox (Randall ISO 12C clone, but two mics inside) with Celestion Creamback65 + SM57 + AKG P170 (80% SM57 / 20% P170). The mics were connected to my Scarllet 2i2 and I used Reaper (DAW). As my isobox have this "boxy" feel (not som much air/reverberation inside) I added some reverb in Reaper to get a more natural feel.

And recorded two guitars for rhythm (40% pan L/R each one) and the guitar solo was in the center. The bass was an old/cheap Giannini I have here. And drums were EzDrummer.

bgrizz

Reaction score
Hey, man.
No problem at all.

Used the amp connected into my isobox (Randall ISO 12C clone, but two mics inside) with Celestion Creamback65 + SM57 + AKG P170 (80% SM57 / 20% P170). The mics were connected to my Scarllet 2i2 and I used Reaper (DAW). As my isobox have this "boxy" feel (not som much air/reverberation inside) I added some reverb in Reaper to get a more natural feel.

And recorded two guitars for rhythm (40% pan L/R each one) and the guitar solo was in the center. The bass was an old/cheap Giannini I have here. And drums were EzDrummer.
Isobox...very cool. I'm debating on whether to go the load box route or isobox type route. I prefer the idea of an isobox but was worried about the boxy sound you describe being too much and then I wasted all this time and effort on the box. But now I feel encouraged to give it a shot, you just proved it can sound great when done correctly. Experimenting with the speaker and mic placement wound be enjoyable for me. Experimenting with various IR's for a load box isn't the same as experimenting with a real speaker and a mic pointed at it.

Del Rei

Reaction score
Isobox...very cool. I'm debating on whether to go the load box route or isobox type route. I prefer the idea of an isobox but was worried about the boxy sound you describe being too much and then I wasted all this time and effort on the box. But now I feel encouraged to give it a shot, you just proved it can sound great when done correctly. Experimenting with the speaker and mic placement wound be enjoyable for me. Experimenting with various IR's for a load box isn't the same as experimenting with a real speaker and a mic pointed at it.
The isobox was a game change in my recordings. I bought some OwnHammer IRs but didn't work for me. I could not get a decent organic tone with it. Actually it's my fault, because I have not so much patience to tweak digital stuff for 30/40min. I'm a kind of plug n play guy, and a real mic/speaker is much easier (in my opinion) to get a good tone.

But... There are some people in Youtube that have really great tones with digital stuff.... But I like the oldschool method... LOL

redking

Reaction score
Funny enough, I went with the Suhr reactive load / IR method for the same reason (because I thought it was easier to get a quick tone) lol. I must say, your recorded tones are about the best I have heard from one of those Randall ISO boxes. I bought a much smaller iso box called the Axe Trak years ago and had no luck getting good sounds out of it - maybe I should try and play around with it again now that a few years have passed.

Del Rei

Reaction score
@redking
Yeah, I saw that Axe Trak some years ago. But here in Brazil it's pretty hard to get these imported gear.

My first attempt to make an isobox was a very big box that I tried to fit my 1x12 cab inside. I made a very basic project with wood/foam and ordered it from a woodworker. Completely disaster.

After that, I searched for some "speaker fixed" models online... That's when I found Axe Trak, Randall ISO, River Silent Sister and the beautiful white Grossman Fat Box with 3 mics inside. I love white gear LOL - But all of them impossible to import ($$).

So, I contacted a cabinetmaker and decided to order a Randall clone, but with 2 mics inside. At first, all my recordings were not the best, but was better than my IR attempt... After finding the right reverb amount and the best mic positions, I think it's a pretty decent tone.

Thanks man! :)

Latest Threads