Video Doorbell Systems

Reaction score
Are they any good (I realize they are not a replacement for dedicated camera security system) just looking to see if anyone has any experience with them.

Tdurden032

Reaction score
I bought a Ring doorbell a year or so ago and highly recommend it - easy to install and integrates with the ring home security system (if you go that route). We’re like Fort Knox now and it only took like one day to get the whole thing up and running.

irocdave12

Reaction score
Ring here too but there are several models and some stuff to know. First you need a good strong WiFi signal. I had struggles at first with mine and had to buy the Chime pro which gives you the audible ding dong in the house and boosts the WiFi to the doorbell. Also my model is the battery powered unit because we live in a town house and your not allowed to drill holes and run wires. So of course I said F them and drilled holes. I just didn’t run hard wires to power it because frankly the battery option is much easier but I wasn’t just sticking a $200 doorbell to my house with just double sided tape. If you get one trust me you’ll be an expert on it because in the first days you have to dial it in a bunch with setting adjustments or the motion notifications will drive you mental. So you can adjust fields of view that the motion detectors picks up and that takes some trial and error depending on how much action goes on outside your house. I like the doorbell enough I also got the Ring camera for the living room so I got them paired together so once the doorbell is triggered the other camera comes on to capture whoever coming inside too. I bought mine because I literally have packages going in and out everyday worth a lot of money and live on a major street so its great piece of mind that I get a phone notification when the mailman walks up and I can talk to him and ask him to hide boxes in my courtyard etc if I won’t be home for a while. But its a great thing to have on a lot of levels. Just don’t go cheap. I’m definitely looking forward to getting the Ring flying drone camera once that comes out. That should freak out the family when they come over to visit nicely and worth the cost alone.

Reaction score
Ring here too but there are several models and some stuff to know. First you need a good strong WiFi signal. I had struggles at first with mine and had to buy the Chime pro which gives you the audible ding dong in the house and boosts the WiFi to the doorbell. Also my model is the battery powered unit because we live in a town house and your not allowed to drill holes and run wires. So of course I said F them and drilled holes. I just didn’t run hard wires to power it because frankly the battery option is much easier but I wasn’t just sticking a $200 doorbell to my house with just double sided tape. If you get one trust me you’ll be an expert on it because in the first days you have to dial it in a bunch with setting adjustments or the motion notifications will drive you mental. So you can adjust fields of view that the motion detectors picks up and that takes some trial and error depending on how much action goes on outside your house. I like the doorbell enough I also got the Ring camera for the living room so I got them paired together so once the doorbell is triggered the other camera comes on to capture whoever coming inside too. I bought mine because I literally have packages going in and out everyday worth a lot of money and live on a major street so its great piece of mind that I get a phone notification when the mailman walks up and I can talk to him and ask him to hide boxes in my courtyard etc if I won’t be home for a while. But its a great thing to have on a lot of levels. Just don’t go cheap. I’m definitely looking forward to getting the Ring flying drone camera once that comes out. That should freak out the family when they come over to visit nicely and worth the cost alone.
I was going to ask about the ring spot cameras also. I'm assuming these a simple enough to set up / pair even for dummies like myself......eh?

DADGAD

Reaction score
Got the Ring doorbell 2 the one with the battery. You can mount it anywhere. I was at work and was able to instruct a delivery driver to leave a package via the two way speaker. I have nothing but good experiences with it. Heck you could even mount it inside the home as a motion activated camera.

fleahead

Reaction score
Another vote for Ring. After lots of teens body-slamming front doors at night, vandalism, etc I got a front and a second cam for the BY. A LOT more piece of mind (matter of fact, I'm watching my front porch right now cuz there've been some kids smashing pumpkins and doing some damage in the last few days, and as long as I'm up....)

Capture+_2020-10-14-00-10-29_resized.png

fleahead

Reaction score
I will say it's interesting to see the coyotes walk across my porch once in a while....

peobryant

Reaction score
I have the Nest doorbell and love it. I prefer the aspect ratio over the Ring camera and since we have multiple Google Home devices in our home, I felt the Nest was the better choice. It has familiar face detection, so if my parents are coming over to visit and ring my doorbell, it says "Dad is at the front door" on the Google Home devices in out house, which I think is pretty damn neat.

The Nest video and audio quality is also excellent, no complaints whatsoever from me.

meatball

Reaction score
My buddy talked me into the Nest also ,, love it ,, I also have the Nest in my living Room to watch the back door .. So I can see all sides . Now my wife told Me that I had better not be watching her during the day ... it works great and its in color.. I highly recommend the annual service .. its 5 bucks a month ...Nest is the way to go

Bluesky

Reaction score
Are they any good (I realize they are not a replacement for dedicated camera security system) just looking to see if anyone has any experience with them.
Will they prevent any crimes? Can't say......possible deturent. BUT I know for a fact dozens.....hundreds of crimes are solved with them.

Guy gets his home burglarized.....we do a neighborhood canvas . A house down the block with a ring doorbell caught the fuckers
Walking/driving/riding a bike.

If the crime is serious enough the detectives will search 3-4 blocks away and find all kinds of stuff captured on these simple cameras.

Bluesky

Reaction score
I try to pretend that this info is only available to police if I opt-in. I wonder if that's true.
Its not available to anyone. We have to ring the doorbells and solicit people for it. They look it up on thier phones during a time frame and give it to us. Most people are very happy to help.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ring.
$30/year per camera, or $100/year for unlimited cameras AND monitoring on your security system if you get the Ring alarm... which installs as stupid easy as the doorbell, and has a battery and cellular backup if your power and WiFi go out.
The door/window, motion, and freeze/flood sensors are wireless to the hub, so they are not dependent on your WiFi or power.

Latest Threads