Video About How to Solder

SD Pickups

Reaction score
These videos are great stuff. You would be shocked at how many known pickup makers products I have repaired that were full of dead solder joints. Obviously they never learned or understood the subject, one guy had even used acid core solder and all the solder joints had eaten the wire.

I use a Weller soldering station, I used to think they were a waste of money and I loved my little single wattage irons, but alas they would all burn up their tips over time and no tip replacements easily available. For cheap irons, Fred Meyer's electrical department has a big iron for about ten bucks that works great for covers and back of pots, its 40 watts but is as hot as a 60 watter. Then I used a 20 watt weller pencil iron but as I said, the tips eventually burn down to a nub and tips are hard to find. I still use my Fred Meyer iron to remove and install covers, I bought about 4 of them and sometimes they die but are generally good long lasting irons for cheap.

5F6-A

Reaction score
knowing how to solder saved me yesterday almost 50 pounds. My laptop adaptor died at the plug. A new power supply would cost me 50 pounds (around $70) at places like PC world. A new plug ($2) and 30 mins soldering solved the problem.

:thumb:

michael2003x

Reaction score
This thread is superb, so much great advice. I don't have the dexterity of a surgeon but these vids and pics make me think I may be actually able to do this. It will open a whole new world of modding and repair possibilities.:naughty:

5F6-A

Reaction score
Soldering can be tricky from time to time, even if you know the right techniques

FrankTheThird

Reaction score
Hey guys, i recently decided to learn how to solder, the videos are a must watch, but I was wondering if any one had thoughts on buying the premium wiring kit from Stew-mac or should I buy separate, and I if i buy separate should there be any components that differ from the stew-mac kit.

KP11520

Reaction score
I found this site in 2007. This guy put up a bunch of very useful videos about soldering and equipment and other beginner to intermediate electronics DIY. I hope these help someone!!!!

Tangent Tutorials

Ddavid

Reaction score
Pay per view soldering video?! Shouldn't this be in classifieds now?

dcooper830

Reaction score
I think it helps to have a nice soldering station like a Hakko FX888-D or a Weller WESD-51 ... and a nice chisel tip on your iron. The chisel tip transfers heat much better than a conical tip.

Also I really like the brass mesh tip cleaners.. I seem to get much better results with that than a damp sponge.

Probably not helpful at all.. but here's a video of me soldering up a strat... with nice close-ups of the solder joints. I enjoy watching the solder flow so nicely.. lol.. im wierd!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rnGHg45U6o[/ame]

jrharrigan

Reaction score
apparently you have to rent or buy the video now. only .49, but still...

chasenblues

Reaction score
apparently you have to rent or buy the video now. only .49, but still...
Message from vid's maker at the bottom with new link.:thumb:

"(youtube won't let me change this back to free, that video is the same)"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpkkfK937mU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpkkfK937mU[/ame]

Mickey_C

Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to pay to watch that.

fwiw, I learned to solder in the US army signal corps in 1977, we all had to get nasa precision soldering certifications to work on the crypto gear (cryptography was all done in hardware back then, super static sensitive bubble mosfets, really state of the art - for then!). the new crypto units were going in all the microwave radio sites back then.

I am going to make a really bold assumption:

Soldering correctly hasn't changed in the intervening 40 odd years.