Video About How to Solder

xsouldriverx

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i used some plumbing flux and havnt had issues. its not that orange color but it looks like a more yellow aged petroleum jelly. after tinning the tip i usually brush a little on to get my solder gun nice and clean

xGotchax

Reaction score
Thank you, this is just what I needed to install my new pickup. This is a first time for me and am questioning everything lol. I think I will post up for some info and feedback from others.

5F6-A

Reaction score
glad you found it interesting

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Eh...just use this stuff....it's the right size, and you don't have to worry about overheating a component while waiting for the solder to melt...it's good stuff..

The_Sentry

Reaction score
what is it exactly?
Radio Shack .022 gauge silver bearing solder.

Seriously...until I got into this kind of solder, my jobs looked like hammered dogshit. The stuff is very thin, but it doesn't come off in big gobs once you heat it. It really is worth checking out if you're doing your own pots and caps.

5F6-A

Reaction score
My solder joints seem to end up looking shiny with the regular stuff but I might give it a try if I manage to find some.... :thumb:

cheopsnet

Reaction score
Great. I messed up some soldering when changing pickups, hopefully it won't happen again..

PINKBITS

Reaction score
:thumb: Excellent, just starting to do my own soldering. Never had the balls to do it before for fear of stuffing something up.

tin dirigible

Reaction score
Excellent info!! I only thought I knew how to solder before! :laugh2:
I've been practicing using what I've learned here with excellent results!
I should be ready for my new PUP's when they get here next week.
BTW the Radio Shack desoldering braid works great for seperating the old connections.

Mr_Wormwood

Reaction score
Best thread evah...

Except it makes me think I should go take apart everything I have ever soldered and re do it. I knew that mine never looked as good as factory stuff but now I am thinking the mod I did to my amp is eventually going to fail due to my sloppy workman ship.

Good thing I saw this stuff before my Wolfetones came in the mail for my LP.:)

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score
A very informative video ... I'm a horror with a solder iron ...........

teefus

Reaction score
very helpful. i use a hakko 936 esd which is a great and reasonably priced iron.

Latest Threads