Video About How to Solder

5F6-A

Reaction score
I'd share some info about how I solder.

- I use an Italian soldering iron Ewig with temperature selector. I set it just above 300ºC.
- I wait until the iron is hot enough and in the mean time I put a TINY bity of extra flux over the area we are soldering onto. I mean a very thin layer. :rolleyes:
- Then I heat the part to solder and as soon as the flux "burns" ( you'll see the fumes ) I add some solder which will be atracted to the iron tip. Positioning the solder wire and the iron tip in opposite directions (ie facing each other) will result in a "centered" solder union.
- Then it's time to take away the solder and a spilt second after the hot iron. Count to three. Do NOT blow over it and voilà! perfect, shiny result.

Soldering it's not difficult but like anything else needs some instruction, patience and practice.

peter679

Reaction score
b-squared thanks for stickying this I'm trying get edumacated

5F6-A

Reaction score
BTW, this is what I use for soldering pots
I stuck an old speed knob on to a wooden square ( I use a drop of Franklin's hide glue ) and left it to dry. Then when I need to hold a pot properly to solder a cap onto it or whatever I have a stable base to work on.

KP

Reaction score
I went a slightly different direction...

I measured out the placement of the holes and created this....

5F6-A

Reaction score
something I¡'ve postd somewhere else, but I think it's important:

"wattage and temperature has little to do with each other. To cut a long story short, a 40 watt iron won't be necesarily twice as hot as a 20 watt one, but it'll be twice as efective at keeping the set temperature"

ck42

Reaction score
Excellent tutorial. :thumb:

Having worked in the electronics manufacturing industry for many years before, and actually being what would be considered an industry expert in the field of soldering (process engineering with customers and teaching soldering classes) I can tell you that everything that was covered in the video was spot-on accurate.
He covered pretty much every key point too....and did an very nice job of explaining things and gave good visual representations.

So...my contribution here would be to say that take what has been covered in this video as being very accurate and very reliable information!

To the tutorial author, whoever you are, kudos!

randelli

Reaction score
Hey great tips!

I have done my share of soldering but this really taught me the right way. I knew about heating the work first; but tinning the tip was new for me. Well, I knew you should tin the tip, I guess I thought it was just for new tips. I didn't know that you should do it all the time.

This would explain why there is one small spot on my iron that heats enough to melt solder...........

Thanks for the great post!

Marto

Reaction score
Hey, thanks. I really want to learn how to solder. The vid you posted will be a big help.
Marto