Victory amps. What are they like?

LPMAN91

Reaction score
I live in the USA and they’re not exactly common. I tried to look it up and as far as I can tell there isn’t a Victory dealer within a 300 mile radius of my location. I have only seen one in person used at my local Sam Ash which was the RD1 Rob Chapman head but I never got to try it. I’ve heard good things about their amps and checked out some videos on YouTube. The RK50, Sheriff 22, and Duchess DP40(Danish Pete model) have all caught my interest but I have no way of trying them before purchasing. What do you guys think of them?

Jim Klein

Reaction score
I've been using the guthrie govan lunch box head for a year and its a great amp. V30 mk II the countess now they call it the jack.. marketing dept..go figure..40 watt for the gig 7 watts for the living room. play it on a Dr.Z 2x10 cab ..its been reliable and i love the distortion ..sweet to mean and inbetween. cleans go from sparkle to fender with some tweaking of the gain ..i highly recomend trying one.. i like it better than the matchless head i had. bought it thru zzounds good return policy...if you don't like it. hope this helped. good luck. jk

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't have any firsthand experience, but it seems like a number of prominent YouTubers use them and they sound great in their videos.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a previous amp designed by Mr Kidd, was a decent amp, for what they are, they are decent value in the U.K. not sure about stateside thought, the cornfords were nearly double U.K. retail.

drew365

Reaction score
I had a Countess for a little over a year. It was a good amp, but I didn't need it, and rarely used it, like a lot of equipment that I buy, and moved it on. I think I bought it from a dealer in Texas IIRC.

fry

Reaction score
I didn't need it, and rarely used it, like a lot of equipment that I buy, and moved it on.
Curious if you had trouble moving it. I think these look like great amps, but they don’t seem to have really caught on here in the US. I would imagine that resale is not very good. There are two fairly priced heads on my local CL right now, but they’re not moving.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
i think its a lack of marketing.. i've had marshall and fender and mesa and matchless all good sounding amps . my victory head just does such a good job ..been reliable and i can get anything i want from it.. i do like to use a 2 amp set up with a clean fender along with the victory . spreads the sound out and it fun to blend them. i;d buy another victory in a heartbeat. good amps. resale ? who knows.. well made stuff should hold its value.. but the guitar world is a fickle place..my mesa ta 15 was supposed to be the big new deal ....2 years later its discontinuned..and the resale ugh..

drew365

Reaction score
Curious if you had trouble moving it. I think these look like great amps, but they don’t seem to have really caught on here in the US. I would imagine that resale is not very good. There are two fairly priced heads on my local CL right now, but they’re not moving.
It's been a few years now, but I don't remember it taking me too long to sell. I would have had it up on Reverb. I think more people have heard about Victory, than you realize. Mine had EL 34's in it. It was pretty compact compared to the 50# heads I had at the time. I think it was the arrival of my Helix, that pushed it, and a couple of other amps, out the door.

jeggz

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a Kraken that I got in a trade deal. I figured it would be a small lighter weight 50watt head for gigs, but in the end, there was just something about it I couldn’t dial out, so off it went. I believe I got $800 for it.

JohnnyN

Reaction score
I have V40 The Dutchess and I'm very happy with it. Sounds great and can be set to half power and even lower using just one output tube. So useful at home as well as on stage. And very easy to carry :)

The V40 is made as a pedal platform, but deactivating the loop and reverb it's able to get quite some overdrive by itself.
Like any modern amp everything is on PCB's but they are made very sturdy, so I doubt it will be a problem to repair if ever needed.

I've had it for over 2 years and never had a problem!

pillbug

Reaction score
Don’t know where you’re located but Cremer Guitar Works in North Aurora IL has them in stock quite regularly. Saw a head there recently and a combo there awhile back. I’ve seen them in other local shops (Naperville Music, I think had one), as they are made in Chicago and have a great reputation.
ive always been too chicken to try them out fearing it would lead to an impulse purchase.

LPMAN91

Reaction score
Don’t know where you’re located but Cremer Guitar Works in North Aurora IL has them in stock quite regularly. Saw a head there recently and a combo there awhile back. I’ve seen them in other local shops (Naperville Music, I think had one), as they are made in Chicago and have a great reputation.
ive always been too chicken to try them out fearing it would lead to an impulse purchase.
You’re thinking of Victoria amplification. Those are good amps and I’ve tried a couple of them. I’m referring to the amp company from the UK. They’ve been shown a lot on YouTube especially Andertons. I’m located in the suburbs of Chicago. Near O’Hare to be exact. Victoria I’ve seen in some shops but for Victory as I stated in my post there isn’t a Victory dealer within 300 miles of me.

pillbug

Reaction score
You’re thinking of Victoria amplification. Those are good amps and I’ve tried a couple of them. I’m referring to the amp company from the UK. They’ve been shown a lot on YouTube especially Andertons. I’m located in the suburbs of Chicago. Near O’Hare to be exact. Victoria I’ve seen in some shops but for Victory as I stated in my post there isn’t a Victory dealer within 300 miles of me.
Oops, you’re right ... my bad, sorry!

LPMAN91

Reaction score
Oops, you’re right ... my bad, sorry!
No worries. I’d love to see Victory amps make their to some shops in Chicago at some point. I know they’re a smaller company but, Chicago wouldn’t be a bad place to see if your amps can sell here.

LPMAN91

Reaction score
I like the way the DP40 sounds on the Andertons videos, but Danish Pete could make just about anything sound great. :dunno:
He’s definitely a great guitar player. After watching him play I’ll never look at a purple Telecaster the same again. In a good way.

timmytVA

Reaction score
I wanted something British-voiced but not a Marshall or Vox clone and spent some time deciding between the Copper and Sheriff, ending up with a Copper head. Eventually I got the V4 Sheriff preamp pedal too. The Copper was bought new from Victory's website. Shipping was fast. The Sheriff was bought used from Guitar Center's website. I like them both.

The Copper is in the Vox camp but not a clone. It'll do chiming cleans with a Tele and outright raunch with Les Paul. It excels at mid-gain rock tones perfect for the Petty/Stones stuff I like. The B/M/T tone controls are subtle. The real tone shaping options are the bass cut and mid-boost toggles and the Tone control, which works like a powerful reverse cut. With the gain cranked, the low end can get woofy. Bass cut cleans that right up. Mid-boost makes it cut a bit more. Generally I run the B/M/T knobs close to straight up and tweak the Tone knob for guitar/pickup differences. I'm not a reverb nut so a touch of the digital reverb works for me. Purists might prefer the tube-driven spring reverb in the Copper Deluxe.

The V4 has two Marshall-esque channels: one that goes from Hendrix-y tones to 70s hard rock, the other from 70s metal to boosted 80s. It sounds "Plexi-ish" vs "like a Plexi". A lot of the Plexi tone is the phase inverter and big bottle power section. The Copper is 4xEL84. It's ... not the same. But it's pretty fun.

I run the V4 in four cable mode, which bypasses the Copper's preamp when engaged. This gives three channels: the Copper's preamp when the V4 is disengaged and the V4's two channels when engaged. I've set up Copper on edge of break up (think Mike Campbell ), V4-Ch 1 for Bad Co/Thin Lizzy type crunch, and V4-Ch 2 for Green Day roar. It's flexible and would make a good gig rig.

All in all, I'm happy with both though the V4 may not stay for long. It doesn't work as well with my other amp with a loop - Dr. Z Jetta. I think it's the unique 7591 power section in that amp. It might, however, get replaced by a Sheriff 44 head.

Oh! Forgot to mention - the first Copper I got had weak reverb. Victory's tech support was outstanding and their return process was simple and fast.

Tim

Last edited:

zebras

Reaction score
I recently picked up a sheriff 22 with a 1x12 cream back cab and it's absolutely glorious. A friend of a friend told me it was the best amp he ever played which got me looking into it, and then the form factor, two channels, and .3 watt mode for home practice pushed me over the edge. It's basically the perfect amp for me, small enough to be easy to lug around, yet has more than enough power for gigs. It sounds fugging awesome, is wonderfully dynamic, and has "that" sound that plexi fans enjoy. I used to run various preamp and boost type pedals for leads, but the second channel has rendered them obsolete. Unless I need an effect, my setup is now Les Paul and amp.

Latest Threads