Very Rare Murphy Lab Guitar!

LPaddicted

Reaction score
What was the price for this unfinished guitar that was not supposed to leave the factory ? $50 ?

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
its an interesting find for sure, but it's a sure pass due to the no serial number and difficult to move on down the line factor for me....

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
its an interesting find for sure, but it's a sure pass due to the no serial number and difficult to move on down the line factor for me....
^This. With weak provenance, it is going to be a hard sell down the line. Still, buy it as a guitar to be played. OP, you haven't said a thing about how well it plays or how it sounds.

Things are sometimes rare for the wrong reasons. This looks like one of them.

Darkscience

Reaction score
Sorry didn't bother reading all the way, I stopped at the rare / Gibson said one has never left the factory but still has a COA part. I just got lost in the story, makes no sense to me what your saying. The guitar looks decent, but looks a little rough? Does it it have a finished feel to it or does it feel as rough as it looks?

Idk man like I tell others, if you love it and it was worth it to you congrats. I am not sure I could ever shell out any kind of cash for this, being rare, by accident?

What was the "hunch" you and your buddy had? That it's a rare ML? Sorry man just none of this makes any sense.

Darkscience

Reaction score
I actually kind of bad for you, I went ahead and just read everything and looked through the comments. The guitar is not even cool looking for it to be worth anything. Is it suppose to have no poker chip? What year is it suppose to replicate or is it just what it looks like, (a student practice guitar). There is no way Tom Murphy even finished this, if he did, it looks more like he was just practicing.

It looks like you got it from a reputable dealer though, do they have a return policy? You really should think about it if you can, just think about it, I feel bad because I honestly believe they took you for sucker on this one.

There is little value in the story/guitar for it to even be considered a collectors item and unless it happens to be the best playing and sounding LP ever made, there is no reason to buy this ever. You never even mention anything about playability or sound, it's like you only cared about it as some sort of rare collectible...buy man it's stamped MOD? :wtf:

Colnago1

Reaction score
Finally a heavy relic guitar that I like! The relic job stopped at the headstock! Yay!

I don’t understand any of the providence, but nice looking guitar.

My Guitar Weeps

Reaction score
Cool guitar! Won't find that one everyday running the racks at the local store or the Gibson Garage. Beautiful top!
As another member stated above... if you dig it, who GAF what anyone else thinks? Never a shortage of "experts" here on the forum. Pretty cool to have a piece of ML history though - Congrats on the new guitar!

Last edited:

Radbloke McShreddington

Reaction score
So the hot take here is this guitar is more valuable because it's less like the other custom shop models that they sell on the virtue of being as close as possible to the originals? Good luck with eventual sale, I guess?

Latest Threads