Very Early Production 1983 Gibson Les Paul Pre Historic '59 Reissue

Intubator

Reaction score
SOLD
Selling my beautiful Pre-Historic 83' Les Paul via these venues below which have many pics on them. PM or email me if interested: [email protected]. Thanks for looking.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/d/very-early-production-1983/6606996127.html

https://reverb.com/item/12770246-very-early-production-1983-gibson-les-paul-pre-historic-59-reissue

Pristine, mint, nearly unplayed and still smells new, 1983 Gibson Les Paul 59' Pre-Historic reissue in Cherry Sunburst. This two owner 35 year old guitar has a full provenance with receipts showing it was originally purchased from Guitar Trader of Redwood N.J. on 10/1/1984 as a partial trade.

This guitar exemplifies Gibson's earliest attempts to reintroduce the features of the 59'Les Paul in the early eighties and has been well publicized throughout the years by period experts like Mike Slubowski.

This particular guitar is one of the first twenty ever produced and has a hand inked serial number in a font specified by Guitar Trader for their allotment (The last serial digit in the photo is covered for security). Guitar Trader also specified for their allotment that no cavity serial numbers would be stamped, unlike the more common run pre-historics and standards of the era.

Construction is a one piece mahogany neck, one piece mahogany body with correct 59' top-carving contour details on highly flamed beautiful Maple book matched top. Binding is thin in cutaway and shows virtually no bleedthrough throughout and just a few hairline checks near the small dot markers. The Neck is straight and very comfortable with a profile I'd describe as between a 59' and 60' in thickness, it has a small headstock set at a 17 degree angle, and the beautiful, dark fretboard appears to be Brazilian rosewood. The frets show no wear. The "Gibson" logo is hand jigsaw-cut with a closed "b" and "o" , the headstock veneer is holly, the "Les Paul Model" logo is silkscreened and just below the serial number is "Made in the USA" stamped in the wood. This guitar weighs 9.4Lbs.

The amazing finish is glossy and near flawless free of gouges or visible scratches. The flame pops and it's three dimensionality moves and brilliantly changes in different lighting conditions. To note, there is very small 1mm round spot on the top which appears to be solvent "pop" and likely came from the Gibson factory that way. It is barely visible.

The nickel hardware is in excellent condition with a hint of patina and looks almost new. An old style ABR wire bridge is attached on studs directly into the top. Both pickups are "Tim Shaw PAF's" and dated 1983.

The original case is a brown Lifton alligator skin style with an unfaded deep ruby red interior in near perfect condition. The outside of the case is in very good condition with no rips, tears or heavy abrasions. Some mild rust/oxidation shows on the brass plated hardware. Comes with original unused strap as well.

Specifications:

- Serial number 9 001X

- "7-83" and someone's initials penciled in control cavity

- "A" and "V.C.S" stamped in Neck cavity

- Initials "MUIXYN"? penciled in bridge cavity

- "SLLC" penciled in tenon cavity

- Volume and tone pots dated 1983

- Shaw pickups: Neck resistance 7.9 ohms, Bridge 7.7 ohms

- Pickups inked "137 6 83" and "138 1 83"

- No breaks or alterations in any solder joints

- Single line Klusons

Shipping: $120. I will ship either USPS or Fed EX insured CONUS, Alaska or HI. The guitar will professionally packed and insured by shipper. Local pickup is possible as well.

This amazing 35 year old vintage guitar is a true time capsule which is virtually unplayed. It is 100% original and unaltered with the exception of brand new strings. It sounds amazing with absolutely no playability issues and can soon be the centerpiece of your guitar collection. Please contact me for more information or questions.

This guitar is being advertised for sale on other internet venues and may be sold by the time you attempt to purchase it. Contact me prior to purchase to ensure it's availability here.

$5500 plus Shipping.

Chris

Last edited:

Intubator

Reaction score
Sorry PeteR,
I'll edit it with the price. Thanks for your heads up on that.

Chris

Latest Threads