Very best pickups you've ever heard or played.

mdubya

Reaction score
I'M TALKING ABOUT HUMBUCKERS ONLY PLEASE
That pretty much kills the "best" tone argument, doesn't it?

The mini-hum in the neck of an early 70's LP Deluxe sounded pretty good.

Every Wolfetone pickup I have played has sounded very balance and warm while still being clear and having enough bite, too.

I have two sets of Tom Holmes H455/450 pickups and they catch the ear of listeners more than any other (aside from P-90's). I find them to be bright and brash, but I guess that is what catches attention. They ALWAYS cut through.

M@nChild

Reaction score
Electric City RD 59 hybrids. Wish Bill was still makin pickups!!

David Garner

Reaction score
I couldn't possibly pick one, though I guess in a sense I have. I still have the Custom Shop Pearly Gates set from the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop in one of my LPs, so I guess that's my pick.

But I'd be remiss not to give honorable mention to the Duncan Antiquities and the Wolfetone Dr. Vintage set. Both are phenomenal.

I also have a JB/59 set in my other LP, and for heavier music it's wonderful.

Last edited:

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I haven't swapped a ton of pickups around, but the stock buckers in my R9 are probably my very favorite. At least, that guitar sounds better than any of my other guitars, and I've owned a lot of Les Pauls over the years.

I once had a 2009 Traditional and 2004 Standard at the same period of time (basically the same guitars, before they changed the Standards). I liked the feel of the Traditional more, but definitely liked the sound of the Standard. So for the best of both worlds, I swapped the 57 Classics in the Trad for the Burstbucker Pros in the Standard, then sold the Standard. So I guess I like Burstbuckers more than 57 Classics.

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
LP-Trad'59-HBs2.jpg

Yeah mate, hard to believe, but those reside in my 2015 Traditional, replaced the useless Gibson '59s.
The second best surprise were the stock pups in my 1995 Orville. Mindblowing.
Last not least Bill Lawrence L500s from 1984

In 57 years fiddling with pickups, '58 PAFs, Shaws ...you name it, I had them. All I can say is there is always only ONE specific guitar that boosts or gets boosted by a particular pickup. You can only try and find the match. And it sure is no matter of price nor elaborate make.
Often enough I had to take an overwound coil, reduce the windings and, after several trial runs arrive at the tone I wanted. Ahhh, and matching the coils of two hambuckers for phase reverse is another story altogether...

Deftone

Reaction score
I really like Duncan JB's, EMG ZW set (81/85), and the T-tops in my '79 LPC.

I just received a Blisterbucker from Wolfetone. Haven't tried it yet but if it's anything like his P90's it will be amazing.

Marco78

Reaction score
Now I don't have any LP, but if I should to buy another PAF style pickups I'd get OX4 again. I tried many expensive brands (K&T NOS, Wizz NOS, Rewind, Kloppmann) and other cheaper (like Sigil and Leosound) but Ox4 are the best of the bunch and are cheaper too of some brands way overpriced without any reason.

AJK1

Reaction score
I couldn't possibly pick one, though I guess in a sense I have. I still have the Custom Shop Pearly Gates set from the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop in one of my LPs, so I guess that's my pick.
I have a set as well and they are my all time faves
Nothing comes close

jwinger

Reaction score
Sorry to say it but, original set of pafs. Closely followed by some optg, OX4 and bareknuckle stormy Mondays however

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
There was a forum member named Kevin - I think his handle was Fuelie.

Anyways, he was all about the physics of PAFs and all that stuff - kind of a strange dude in a good way. He was difficult to actually get my pickups from and seemed to be dealing with some personal stuff, but true to his word he came through.

They were well worth the wait. Real PAFs and boutique stuff never stacked up for whatever reason. I eventually got a wild hair and foolishly traded the 93 Tobacco burst Standard they were in. Coincidentally the best LP I've ever played - it was dead as a log acoustically, hahaha.

I'd buy from him again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

ezra1

Reaction score
In 2020....Electric City Dry, stock pups in my 2013 R9 , WCR Darkburst...but it depends on the guitar . I have a 78 Tokai LS80 that they are fantastic with Darkburst and another that they are just ok.
I want to try Geppetto Nomads, Amber 59s and Ornamac Windery.

Jasper

Reaction score
My ears have led to a set of Seymour D's Hot Rodded Pickups in my 2019 Les Paul Studio. I've heard good and bad about them, but they sound awesome as humbuckers, single coils, clean and distortion. One thing I've learned from the other members in here it's a matter of what sounds good to you.

Attachments

Benjammin

Reaction score
I knew a guy who had some Stephens Design pickups in his LP, they were incredibly good, I was embarrassed to play them

Gclef

Reaction score
Best pickups I have used, as a brand, is harmonic designs.

JLT73

Reaction score
Bare Knuckle Nailbombs
Dimarzio Super Distortion
Duncan Pegasus/Sentient

peach64

Reaction score
I set the record for OTPG PAFs, I also had a set of `63 Pat # w/50's Long bar magnets, low wind, Holmes, Rolph's, Voodoo PAFs, Sheptone Tributes, and Wizz - I love these.
But when all is said and done and I had to sell off some of these PAF's, I have to tell it like it is...Stephans Design are amazing pickups ...Dave is a weird dude, but his PAF's are incredible.
Kalamaoo Pickups from Jonsey are excellent. I also have Rewinds which I just installed in a triple pickup Custom. They're fantastic too

Latest Threads