Very best pickups you've ever heard or played.

Snakum

Reaction score
Old 80s Dimarzio SDs for Classic Rock/Metal(ish)
Mojotone PAF clones
Real PAFs
and believe it or not ... Gibson 490s.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Got a Greco EGF1200 a fortnight ago, with its original Dry Z 'buckers. I never equated a Les Paul- style guitar's tone with a Tele, until I got this. The woods they selected are a huge part of the result too, haunting tone.

R1sky

Reaction score
Only paf style I’ve played are the iron gear blues engines, £35 each and they are better imo than Burstbuckers ... not boutique but there damn good go the price!

I am currently ordering some Ox4s so will let you know ...

R1sky

Reaction score
Oh and I’ve just also ordered sone dimarzio 36th annis for a ‘78 burny , they sound terrific in videos and a great price.

Alligatorbling

หัวเราะดังลั่น
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh and I’ve just also ordered sone dimarzio 36th annis for a ‘78 burny , they sound terrific in videos and a great price.
I had a set in one of my SGs. I loved them.

vklobucar

Reaction score
1- Real PAF's
2- My Pat # PAF's as rewound by James at Rewind
3-Tim Shaws
4-ThroBack PAF's

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I know tone is a very touchy subject. I'm not looking for a debate, just your opinion. I don't care if they were cheap, expensive, made by gold egg s**tting unicorns etc. So let's hear it, and if you still have them!

I'M TALKING ABOUT HUMBUCKERS ONLY PLEASE
My Gibson LPS of course Zesty and powerful like they should be.

jbash

Reaction score
New stuff- 57/08s.

Old stuff- a PAF set in a 57 or 58 Goltop , and a Pat# set in a '63 ES-335

Have to update my list- I still agree with those but additionally:

Another vote for James @ Rewind- I have a T top set he did for me that is just amazing. The bridge model resides in my 335 Studio at this time. If it had a neck pickup, James' other T top would be in there too.

For a value set- Tone Riders. They sound better than most of the big name production line PAF type pickups from those winders whose last names start with a "D". And the Toneriders take all kinds of magnets like a champ.

And for Telecaster pickups- years ago I had a set of Rumpelstiltskin 1950 Black Ropes (A3 flat pole broadcaster types) that were tweaked a bit to my specs (wound to around 10K resistance in the bridge and some tweaking on the neck pickup and a nickel steel cover instead of brass). Incredible- In the bridge, Back off the gain and you've got Zeppelin 1. Wind it up and you can pull off Scorpions and Maiden convincingly (and with BITE). In the neck , Trower all day long. Clear as a bell even with the gain wound up. Underrated winder for sure.

Sadbu2ru

Reaction score
Favorite is SD SH-11 Custom Custom bridge and 496t Neck. CC Doesn't work in all guitars though.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In the right guitar, TV Jones Powertrons and Classics

Gretsch Filtertrons

Pair of Seymour Duncan Limited Edition Custom Shop Joe Bonamassa "Skinner Burst"

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
I am pretty simple. Either an Alnico II Pro neck humbucker or Classic Strat Stack in a Strat.

Mike Irvin

Premium Member
Reaction score
I had Wizz PAF's in my Bloomfield R9 that were great sounding pups for that guitar!

However I've since sold that and all of my Humbucker Gibsons, and replaced them all with P-90 Gibsons.

I find the P-90's just work better for me and sound more musical.

Yes you can get some hum in some situations, but these days I'm just playing with friends or at home, and Hum is not an issue for me.

I'm a convert!

MCT

Reaction score
The best sounding PAF pickup set that I own is one I bought off Eryk on this forum- a set of Sigil Holy Grail LTD ‘59s, with NOS wire from 1959. Sonically, it’s just like the clip from the Doug and Pat show- airy, but with a definite snappiness. Bravo, David Bowes.

My Tyson Tone Precious and Grace, JM ‘58 Rolph Pretenders, and OX4 Carter Vintage sets are up there too. And got a set of Tyson Tone Deacons enroute which I’m sure won’t disappoint. But all my Sigil’s have been top tier- Chicago ‘68’s, Black Magic’s, etc.

For non-PAFs, I second the Rumpelstiltskin Black Ropes (now known as the Old Black Knight) for the Broadcaster sound. Just nails it.

In terms of best pickups I’ve heard but don’t own (yet), Stephens Design PAF clones sound heavenly. Maybe one day.

Barnaby

Reaction score
Best buckers? The pair in a Suhr Modern satin, whatever they were. Completely amazing. My brother bought that guitar.

After that, a set of original PAFs in a genuine '59 Burst in Tokyo here. I've played several, but one particular guitar stands out in my mind.

That being said, the best pickups I've ever played were P-90s in a beat-to-hell '54 goldtop Les Paul for sale in a vintage guitar shop (again, in Tokyo). They were asking silly money for it, but I nearly bought the damn thing simply because it sounded unbelievable.

Used the money for a house deposit instead. Still wondering if I made the right decision.

Latest Threads