Very best pickups you've ever heard or played.

El Kabong

Reaction score
Well, it was made by silver egg-laying unicorns, and that is the Zephyr Humbucker, with solid silver wire (neck version). I haven't tried the bridge version, but if I had the neck version, I'd never use the bridge pickup anyway.
Not sure about that... the bridge is equally as awesome! I really dig these pickups as well... :thumb:

RangerJay

Glam Bastard
Premium Member
Reaction score
In order of preference:

Gibson Custombuckers (Stock in a 2013 Les Paul R8; super articulate)
SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers (Custom Shop MJ set; a very aggressive 2nd place)
Gibson '59 Tributes (transplanted to replace '57 Classics in a Trad; excellent bark)
Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary (underrated, if you ask me)
Gibson '57 Classics (love 'em, but they are a little too smooth for my style; still very good PUs)

Reactions: Jer

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Not sure about that... the bridge is equally as awesome! I really dig these pickups as well... :thumb:
Got mine from the 'bay a coupla years back, the mystique surrounding them meant no other bidders, at a third of new price :thumb:

jbash

Reaction score
New stuff- 57/08s.

Old stuff- a PAF set in a 57 or 58 Goltop , and a Pat# set in a '63 ES-335

PGguy

Reaction score

PGguy

Reaction score
Sigil pickups US bluesman, Ox4, Skatterbrane Earthbranes

Elmore

Reaction score
For a Les Paul, an early 70’s Gibson T-Top in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker in the bridge. With 500K CTS pots and Jensen paper in oil caps.

Last edited:

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
For me, it is Antiquites in a semi-hollow, and the Alnico II Pro in the neck of a solidbody.

Joncaster

Reaction score
One particular set of uncovered 57 Classics on a LP Classic.
That wood, those pickups.
If only I had the money...

Roxy13

Reaction score
The Maxon Dry Zs take the prize in my guitar collection. I doubt I will ever have the honor of playing anything with original PAFs or OTPG.

I also really like:

My 3 sets of Rewinds: one pair of low output PAFs, a triple of the same and the Creme Brulees.
Sigil Chicago Bluesman '68s.
1976 Maxon S stamped pickups with Alnico 8 mags
Gotoh L8001

JohnnyN

Reaction score
OX4 low wind A4
Mojopickups UK PAF clones
Bareknuckle Mules
Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers
Sheptone Tribute II

nitrodave08

Reaction score
I have only had 4 Real Gibsons: 1) '83 Explorer, not sure what was in it, but the Dimarzio Super Distortion went in and lover it 2) 76RI Explorer with the 500s. Sound great for the harder rock, avg when playing clean. 3) TradProII with '57 Classics, after a week I could not get rid of them fast enough. Swapped in SD59s and though that was the "sound" that I was looking for, until 4) 59RI with custombuckers. This is the first guitar that I ever owned that I have not even thought about putting anything else in it.
The only "real" guitar I has was a 86' PRS 24 with stock pickups and they sounded pretty damn good.

Mockbel

Reaction score
Very generic thread... very few of us who really exposed too large number of pups to be able to give an opinion that can really be useful to others. Anyway, here is my vote:
Symour Duncan JB is my usual “to go” pup for bridge position. However, Classic 57 set the best foe Les Paul IMO
For Strat, Texas Special are my favorite

John Ucol

Reaction score
What a necropost, but I'll pitch in anyway.

I've liked Bare Knuckle pickups the most, but even then it depends on what guitars I'm installing them in, and what would I want out of the pickups working together with my guitar and amp.

ie- I have a custom built LP that's really bright, but I want it to have a lot more weight in the low-mids and sound massive. So I opted for an A5 Warpig and Aftermath:

On the other hand, I wanted a really tight sounding set to complement one of my PRS Custom 24's, so I got a Painkiller set:

I also have a C-bomb and a Coldsweat as good all-around pickups in my experience:

Latest Threads