Very best pickups you've ever heard or played.

50WPLEXI

Reaction score
I know tone is a very touchy subject. I'm not looking for a debate, just your opinion. I don't care if they were cheap, expensive, made by gold egg s**tting unicorns etc. So let's hear it, and if you still have them!

I'M TALKING ABOUT HUMBUCKERS ONLY PLEASE

Llayton

Reaction score
Gibson - T-Tops :thumb:

Fender Fat 50's :thumb:

Do not like copies of any sort (self proclaimed "boutique" pups..

:wave:

foxtrot

Reaction score
I don't even know if I have an opinion on the best! Hurts thinking about it ;)

TheZ

Reaction score
The X-1 bridge pickup made by Fender in the early 80's was/is amazing. It's a single coil.

Al Walker

Reaction score
I had some old Mighty Mite high output (vintage 1978) that sounded Great in my '66 Melody Maker. Had to remove them cause of them being unpotted. The feedback took out the Celestion in my Legend R&R 50.

Clifdawg

Reaction score
Haven't played too many, to be honest, but for some reason the stock pups on a PRS Tremonti SE just sing... I am 100% sure that there are "better" pups out there, but they were strangely a cut above many I have played... Including Seymour Duncan JBs, Distortions, various GFS models, the cheaper Gibson 490s, and they were right up there with the Dirty Fingers. I shoulda gutted them and sold the guitar without the engine...

It should be noted that I do not have the money for custom shop products. Which is why the Dirty Fingers are probably as close to "boutique" as I've played, and that was on a used Epi SG I was eyeing at a shop one day. :laugh2:

d1m1

Reaction score
Original pafs
Wizz
Ox4
Tom holmes
Seymour duncan joe bonamassa
Tim shaws

S_G_D

Reaction score
73 Gibson stamped cover ttop. I am a terrible player and the note separation and clarity in the neck position still amazes me... Now if only it was mine.

ARandall

Reaction score
73 Gibson stamped cover ttop. I am a terrible player and the note separation and clarity in the neck position still amazes me... Now if only it was mine.
I have a pair of these, and I agree. I think the bridge would most probably benefit from a 250K vol pot though.

Other great pickups:

Wizz
ReWind
Zhangbucker
ECP
D.Allen

Quill

Reaction score
Humbuckers only?

Ok. I got nuthin'.

LtKojak

Reaction score
* Electric City Pickups Freedom set, formerly known as the RD-59 Hybrid set. (have)
* Shed Pickups PAF Daddy set (played)
* A4-modded Duncan Antiquity set. (have)
* A3 neck modded Seth Lover set. (have)

HTH,

Latest Threads