Verify les paul guitars

RANDALL555

Reaction score
Im new to this site and this is most likely an old question but is thier a website that you can goto , to longin a serial # to verify that a les paul is a true gibson from gibson and the year it was made and what model it is , a custom standard or traditional because ive seen some guitars that i know they was something not right about the guitar they just wasnt correct . And what reason would someone have not to give you the serial # of a guitar they are trying to sell you . A guy on ebay has a brand new les paul forsale with the in and out phase pots but wont give me the serial # so i can check it out ? Does this sound fishy to you ? Is thier a good reason not to give me the # ?

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Post a link to the sale.

Serial numbers can be replicated.

Sinster

Reaction score
I allways use this site: The Guitar Dater Project - Gibson Serial Number Decoder

Why they don't give the serial? Hmm, could be stolen, fake or they don't want someone copying there serial.

Got some pics? We can tell you if it's correct or not.

That site only tell you that the Serial Number is Authentic not the guitar. It's a good site to find out information about the guitar, but bad trying verify if the guitar is legit.

schaapie

Reaction score
That site only tell you that the Serial Number is Authentic not the guitar. It's a good site to find out information about the guitar, but bad trying verify if the guitar is legit.

True :)

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
If it's on Craigslist and its brand new its probably fake. If its ebay just post the auction # and the crack panel here at the mighty MLP will tell you in a second.

KenG

Reaction score

Yes it decodes valid serial numbers correctly. So if you KNOW the guitar is real, it will tell you stuff about it based on that assumption.
It can also be used to help scammers check whether their serials numbers are in the correct range/style or format.
In otherwords the site is useless more or less.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Im new to this site and this is most likely an old question but is thier a website that you can goto , to longin a serial # to verify that a les paul is a true gibson from gibson and the year it was made and what model it is , a custom standard or traditional because ive seen some guitars that i know they was something not right about the guitar they just wasnt correct . And what reason would someone have not to give you the serial # of a guitar they are trying to sell you . A guy on ebay has a brand new les paul forsale with the in and out phase pots but wont give me the serial # so i can check it out ? Does this sound fishy to you ? Is thier a good reason not to give me the # ?

If you can get a serial number for a guitar just call or email Gibson. Pictures help too.

berniedocherty

Reaction score
Yes its true that they can't tell if your instrument is legit , but if you know it is then it can give more detail than the Gibson support team ( Europe ) managed to give me , I ran my studio serial through and it told me it was made in Nashville on 3rd Feb 1997 , number 96 on the production run , where as Gibson were supplied serial & pics of my custom and all they came back with was........2010.

Latest Threads