Verdict on the Un-Potted Custom Buckers in the New R8's and R9's?

porterburst

Reaction score
I've played the new 60th 59 anniversary LP's cranked and didn't notice any issue with micro pu's.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
This sounds like the same thing car dealers say about some lemons they sell. "Experience means you won't have to worry about the airbags". Use the right gear for the job and the experience can be made on the talent and the business side of things where it needs to be.
Okay

I’ll ask, because I’m curious, what timeline I your mind constitutes new technology? Wax potting? New technology 50 years ago.

ChuckNOS

Reaction score
I've played the new 60th 59 anniversary LP's cranked and didn't notice any issue with micro pu's.
I can crank 'em loud playing alone and not experience the feedback issue. Seems it only happens at certain frequencies generated by band mates. Just something to be dealt with.

playloud

Reaction score
I had my 2014 Gibson Custom Shop 1957 Gold-Top reissue humbucking pu's wax-potted by my local tech. They would squeal (not musically!) when playing loud with a rock band. Not nice. My tech repair guy said the pickups were not potted. So he did the job for me and they now have no squeal, and still sound awesome!

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's definitely noticeable in a live setting--especially if you have a fair amount of guitar coming back at you through the wedges. Last weekend I gigged my 2019 R9 at an outdoor amphitheater show and I had to be very careful about leaving the strings unmuted when not playing or it would start to feed rather quickly. I've played this gig before with the same amp and my older guitars and never had such prominent feedback. It's not a total nuisance, but you definitely have to be aware of it on higher gain settings.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
How much volume are you using? How much distance do you have from speaker?

Sounds just like speaker feedback to me, which is much more sensible with unpotted pickups.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is what you get when you want exactly yhe un potted PAF

one way to stop squeal is to place some masking tape on the inside of the cover, just tape on the non screw side. Yes you need to remove covers for this... but it works on most squeally pickupsi.

Clint

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was playing about 10 feet from the amp. The noise goes away if I move further away from the amp or turn away from it. Amp, which is a 20 watt tweed, nothing outrageous. This kind of feedback is the non-musical kind so I'll just have to deal with it or monkey around with the pickups. I do like what it sounds like cleaned up but who really plays a Les Paul without some gain in the mix?

mdubya

Reaction score
Just got a new 60th Anniversary and the pickups sound really clear and bright at low volume but once I use any gain, they sound like the attached clip. Have to roll the tone back to 4-5 on the bridge to avoid this kind of feedback. Never had this problem before with a Historic. Anybody else having this problem? https://soundcloud.com/clint-chamberlin-781383273%2Fles-paul-noisemp3
I am hearing pickup squeal. I can understand how that could be annoying, but listening to it from here, it sounds bloody cool! :dude: Very authentic PAF to my ears. You can tame the squeal with the tape trick and/or with dabs of silicone between the pickup and the cover.

You perfectly demonstrate Gibson's catch 22: make it truly authentic and people complain. Make it not squeal and people complain that it is not truly authentic.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Catch 22

Great Movie !!

But that's exactly it ...silicon would work excellent ...never thought of that...

Clint

Reaction score
I guess I'm getting authentic squeal then :)
BTW these are the CME Spec Custom Bucker "S" pickups which are underwound and supposedly potted.
Maybe the S stands for "Squeal."

Last edited:

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly....!

but the benefits are in the volume knob and a good tube amp...remember that power is nothing without control...

Back off slightly on your (guitars) volume knob and maybe shave a tad of high end off the tone knob and you might be able to find its happy place....

good pots matter

Clint

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm not used to having fussy pickups like these and I've played a lot of historics over the years, usually with the controls full up.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Yeah, I always put a dab of silicone one the bobbin when adding or replacing covers (and use a clamp to hold everything tight and ensure a good seal while I solder the covers on). Absolutely mitigates unpotted microphonics. That said, sometimes the microphonics are the result of how the coil(s) were wound, in which case the silicone won’t help.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Me. :rofl::laugh2:

Anyway, if you follow the Sct13 advice, it should tame a bit the problem. :thumb:

Here too! No dirt, clean as a whistle tone

I was taught by a winder that most of this feedback is caused by the magnet vibrating on the base plate. I’ve always used unpotted pickups. Even when I do add a lot of gain they don’t squeal. Each of these pickups I’ve loosened the 4 base screws, slipped out the magnet, melted parafin wax onto it in a thin film. Reinstalled and voila! No more monsters

Coil wind has minimal effect on feedback

Cover needs to be on firmly...for some adding tape / silicone does the trick...really though, it’s a cover that was put on too loose so the air gap between the bobbins and cover is too cavernous. Add some goop, sure that’ll work, but simply removing the cover, reinstall with clamping it tight then solder it on...that’ll correct the issue in of itself