Verdict on the Un-Potted Custom Buckers in the New R8's and R9's?

porterburst

Reaction score
I've played the new 60th 59 anniversary LP's cranked and didn't notice any issue with micro pu's.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
This sounds like the same thing car dealers say about some lemons they sell. "Experience means you won't have to worry about the airbags". Use the right gear for the job and the experience can be made on the talent and the business side of things where it needs to be.
Okay

I’ll ask, because I’m curious, what timeline I your mind constitutes new technology? Wax potting? New technology 50 years ago.

ChuckNOS

Reaction score
I've played the new 60th 59 anniversary LP's cranked and didn't notice any issue with micro pu's.
I can crank 'em loud playing alone and not experience the feedback issue. Seems it only happens at certain frequencies generated by band mates. Just something to be dealt with.

playloud

Reaction score
I had my 2014 Gibson Custom Shop 1957 Gold-Top reissue humbucking pu's wax-potted by my local tech. They would squeal (not musically!) when playing loud with a rock band. Not nice. My tech repair guy said the pickups were not potted. So he did the job for me and they now have no squeal, and still sound awesome!

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's definitely noticeable in a live setting--especially if you have a fair amount of guitar coming back at you through the wedges. Last weekend I gigged my 2019 R9 at an outdoor amphitheater show and I had to be very careful about leaving the strings unmuted when not playing or it would start to feed rather quickly. I've played this gig before with the same amp and my older guitars and never had such prominent feedback. It's not a total nuisance, but you definitely have to be aware of it on higher gain settings.