Verdict on the Un-Potted Custom Buckers in the New R8's and R9's?

agquake

Reaction score
THIS!!! It nails it. I play a decent acoustic and I find unpotted electric pickups just grabs the nuances best. I believe the Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers are unpotted as well. There is many on the market. They are not meant for high gain on stage playing. They are meant for studio, small gig, small amp setups.
I’m sorry, but it really gets old reading this type of thing. People really need to stop spreading misinformation such as this.

VicodinDream

Reaction score
I’m sorry, but it really gets old reading this type of thing. People really need to stop spreading misinformation such as this.
Misinformation? Which part? Seth Lovers ARE unpotted. Unpotted pickups are NOT meant for high gain loud playing due to feedback issues.

Potting dampens vibrations which cause feedback. Potting also darkens the tone and changes the characteristics of the pickup. Which is why potted pickups ARE meant for loud, high gain, large gig playing.

Last edited:

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
People do manage to use Seths and other unpotted pickups for high gain/high volume situations, but they are probably using the wrong tool for the job, and not getting the most out of such a dynamic pickup if it immediately hits the compression of high preamp gain. But some manage to make it work.
You can also use a brick as a hammer, though.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ In those situations having a low output but more controllable sound makes sense. There was some very heavy band using 59's IIRC. Clarity in the tone for high gain but no microphonics.

EL-34

Reaction score
Misinformation? Which part? Seth Lovers ARE unpotted. Unpotted pickups are NOT meant for high gain loud playing due to feedback issues.

Potting dampens vibrations which cause feedback. Potting also darkens the tone and changes the characteristics of the pickup. Which is why potted pickups ARE meant for loud, high gain, large gig playing.
Exactly. Pickup experts on this site are generally non-existent. I go elsewhere for serious pickup expertise and opinions.

I've been in this forum and other various guitar related forums to know where to go for each piece of gear.

The garbage in this thread just goes to confirm what I already know.

No offence to the pickup vendors in the know who post here-this is not aimed at you.

buddy7168

Reaction score
I haven’t tried the new unpotted custombuckers, but I have unpotted BKP mules and riff raffs that don’t squeal with high’ish gain (boosted Marshall) at loud volumes. I do get the good kind of feedback, controllable and in tune, but no squeals so far. Maybe BKP does something else to prevent squealing.

VicodinDream

Reaction score
The part that I highlighted:

“They are not meant for high gain on stage playing. They are meant for studio, small gig, small amp setups.”
And I am saying state evidence and facts. Not just "I use them and get away with it".

ARandall

Reaction score
Unpotted pickups are neither designed, nor 'not designed' for any application. It is simply misguided to think that there was any application during the 50's, 60's or 70's where they were the only choice from Gibson that they were excluded from in terms of applicable use.
When you consider that the 60's to 70's included some of the loudest setups out there, and the pickups work quite happily for all of those big bands and gigs, there is no legitimacy to say lack of potting makes big gig/loud applications unusable for such pickups.

StudioFan

Reaction score
I like how Gibson makes Custom Buckers and a few nerds decide what they are made for !

You all need to take a look at Ted Nugent and what he can do with a frigging hollow body .

You think Teddy really gave one fuck at all about feedback ? NO

He made the arenas his bitch because he is a man .

StudioFan

Reaction score
I haven't played either, and inter web forums are 50/50 that they are either harsh & microphonic, or offer an enhanced "open" & midrangy tone.

I can't imagine Gibon would put out a "squeally" microphonic pickup just for the sake of being historically accurate??
What sayeth you?
Above.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
I like how Gibson makes Custom Buckers and a few nerds decide what they are made for !

You all need to take a look at Ted Nugent and what he can do with a frigging hollow body .

Yes

He actually walks around stage preconcert with guitar in hand and amps cranked, marks spots on stage where feedback occurs (good controllable feedback) with taped “X”

jenton70

Premium Member
Reaction score

Oops. Rule #18 broken here. Any evidence submitted in a discussion, designed to prove a specific point, and which uses Ted Nugent as a positive example, is hereby rendered inadmissible due to Ted Nugent being Ted Nugent. This is also sometimes colloquially known as the "Wango Tango" rule.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oops. Rule #18 broken here. Any evidence submitted in a discussion, designed to prove a specific point, and which uses Ted Nugent as a positive example, is hereby rendered inadmissible due to Ted Nugent being Ted Nugent. This is also sometimes colloquially known as the "Wango Tango" rule.
Wait until Ted becomes President........ we won't be able to talk about him at all.

StudioFan

Reaction score
Yes

He actually walks around stage preconcert with guitar in hand and amps cranked, marks spots on stage where feedback occurs (good controllable feedback) with taped “X”
That is what I mean he uses the feedback .

And his Volume knob !

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Exactly! Learn how to use your equipment if you’re going to gig. Be a pro, rehearse in a “live” type of environment and learn what works and what doesn’t

It’s not that hard

VicodinDream

Reaction score
Ted has had problems with squealing in the past. Around 2003 he began using Burst Bucker 2 pickups. Which are in fact potted. There is feedback which is normal. Then there is squealing caused by microphics.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Feedback and microphony are yes different and BOTH are controllable with experience

VicodinDream

Reaction score
Feedback and microphony are yes different and BOTH are controllable with experience
This sounds like the same thing car dealers say about some lemons they sell. "Experience means you won't have to worry about the airbags". Use the right gear for the job and the experience can be made on the talent and the business side of things where it needs to be.

New technology does not always mean better for everyone. But old technology does not mean desirable.