Verdict on the Un-Potted Custom Buckers in the New R8's and R9's?

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows the numbers, but it's for sure A LOT more than 3K/Yr....

Gibson4NJ

Reaction score
I have the first MHS unpotted pickups in a Memphis ES Les Paul. They immediately made me hate my Red 335 with Burstbuckers. The potting isn't the whole story but I without question feel more of the guitar coming through - especially in that transitional "tubes breathing" zone.

Huge, complex, sweet sound. Just can't play them through a Dual Rectifier slammed with an HM-2. Boo hoo.

They also pick up on every tiny detail of your left and right hand technique. Like an acoustic amp. Sometimes a little jarring when you have as a little talent as I do

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since Gibson, apparently, only makes about 3,000 Rx a year, and we're only a third of the way through, I'd question how many of those people commenting on how they sound have actually heard one.

D296C252-DC35-4411-BFB9-B941B59F9565.gif

I’m sorry,... but that is such a hellacious underestimate.... 3000 guitars wouldn’t even cover the costs of having a Custom Shop Historic program.... for example there was 300 of each Collectors Choice model.... in 2014 there was at least 10 CC models released.... besides all the unlimited regular reissue Historic models.... 2014 alone may have reached 50k Historics being produced.... I may have overstated (cuz Gibson won’t say) but I doubt it..... the 2015 True Historics May have been very limited.... under 5000? ..... maybe.

Last edited:

VicodinDream

Reaction score
I have the first MHS unpotted pickups in a Memphis ES Les Paul. They immediately made me hate my Red 335 with Burstbuckers. The potting isn't the whole story but I without question feel more of the guitar coming through - especially in that transitional "tubes breathing" zone.

Huge, complex, sweet sound. Just can't play them through a Dual Rectifier slammed with an HM-2. Boo hoo.

They also pick up on every tiny detail of your left and right hand technique. Like an acoustic amp. Sometimes a little jarring when you have as a little talent as I do
THIS!!! It nails it. I play a decent acoustic and I find unpotted electric pickups just grabs the nuances best. I believe the Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers are unpotted as well. There is many on the market. They are not meant for high gain on stage playing. They are meant for studio, small gig, small amp setups.

I want a set of these custom buckers because I like the Alnico 3 style sounds.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
I believe the Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers are unpotted as well.
Indeed they are! But you can order them potted, lightly potted, etc. I'd say they work best for touch-sensitive styles without a ton of preamp gain and volume.

Bearded Rainbow

Reaction score
They are very lovely pickups if you are into the sound of a late 50s Les Paul. I can compare them to one of my early T-top humbuckers in terms of responsiveness and microphonics. For example, tapping the pickup ring with a plectrum will produce an audible click through your amp. There’s a good reason why DiMarzio was a success in the 70s as people started playing with higher gain. If you play higher gain you might want to look for some pickups designed for that.

cnote

Reaction score
If you think unpotted humbuckers are the ticket, you should try unpotted strat pickups in your strat.

Anyway, my feeling is that earlier this decaded Gibson's Custom Buckers were less heavily potted than prior versions. There was plenty of vintage tone and squeal. Unless someone removes the unpotted and potted CB pickups and does a controlled A/B it will be hard to tell. LPs vary so much on so many other factors.

DanD

Reaction score
View attachment 375503

I’m sorry,... but that is such a hellacious underestimate.... 3000 guitars wouldn’t even cover the costs of having a Custom Shop Historic program.... for example there was 300 of each Collectors Choice model.... in 2014 there was at least 10 CC models released.... besides all the unlimited regular reissue Historic models.... 2014 alone may have reached 50k Historics being produced.... I may have overstated (cuz Gibson won’t say) but I doubt it..... the 2015 True Historics May have been very limited.... under 5000? ..... maybe.
I'd say well under 5k for TH.

One must remember that when THs were put out there that 2014 R spec models were still being cranked out.

Just from perusing the used ebay/ reverb ads it's easy to see that THs weren't and aren't that numerous.

Ebay currently has 11 True Historics for sale in the US. :hmm:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd say well under 5k for TH.

One must remember that when THs were put out there that 2014 R spec models were still being cranked out.

Just from perusing the used ebay/ reverb ads it's easy to see that THs weren't and aren't that numerous.

Ebay currently has 11 True Historics for sale in the US. :hmm:
Absolutely.... if I remember correctly the 2015 TH9 and TH8 were advertised under 800 each and the remaining TH models BB7 TH6, TH7 and others were well under the 800 mark.... I could be wrong tho.

EL-34

Reaction score
If you play loud, with gain or without, they will feedback in a bad way. I had an unpotted humbucker installed and I don't use that guitar for jamming now. I plan to replace it.

The verdict is out on whether it adds air to the tone. I'd like to see a before and after comparison of resistance and magnetic field without and with potting.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Many of us played very loud on small stages, standing close to our amps, with unpotted pickups...often with hollow guitars.
We figured it out.
And many of us weren't even particularly smart.

ARandall

Reaction score
If you play loud, with gain or without, they will feedback in a bad way. I had an unpotted humbucker installed and I don't use that guitar for jamming now. I plan to replace it.
So you've tried 1 unpotted humbucker and assume they all do it:slap:

The verdict is out on whether it adds air to the tone.
No, the verdict is not out, its well documented what potting does to tone.

EL-34

Reaction score
Why do you think pickups are potted? Just for fun?

I don't have the desire to debate this bullshit.

Reaction score
Half the guitaring world (especially the ones into strat and superstrat styles) thinks the whole concept of a Les Paul is putting out a badly designed guitar just to be historically accurate.......

As to the pickups - the thread premise is meaningless. If you play high gain they will squeal....its the nature of the beast. But play low gain (what the pickups are slanted toward in the first place) and they wont. You cannot separate out individual experience from the way opinion is formed.

And until you try them for yourself, its best not to form opinions.
Is Metallica considered high gain? I assume Kirk Hammet hasn’t swapped pickups in Peter Green’s Les Paul given the provenance. Looks like he plays it on stage...

ARandall

Reaction score
Thats pretty high gain really.....even now.

And no, there is no way on god's green earth that he would have done anything to that guitar.
And he sold at least 1 other burst to buy Greeny too......one he played live as well.

ARandall

Reaction score
Why do you think pickups are potted? Just for fun?

I don't have the desire to debate this bullshit.

Its pretty simple really. Just because it is unpotted doesn't mean feedback is guaranteed. It just means it is possible - especially if the cover has been put on poorly. There is endless evidence of unpotted pickups being fine.
Potting will reduce squeal in most situations if it is a problem. Another really simple concept to grasp.

jktxs

Reaction score
I swear if I see 'touch sensitive' one more time...
What superlatives won't Gibson use to sell their stuff? I hope people aren't so naive as to think their reissues aren't sounding burst-y enough because of potted pickups lol

Without any reference how would the average listener know something like this is potted? Sounds jangly, touch sensitive and dynamic, just like the wax dunked CBs I'm used to. The can o' bees level of gain on the Friedman is reassuring in that yes, these pickups can be run through a Recto with an HM-2, feedback free! Haha

I'd rather have more usable amps than harnessing the barely perceivable powers of air only manifested through unpotted pickups. My experience with garden variety PAF types like the '59s, Seths, Ants, BBs and CBs tells me it is ultimately the wind that matters more.

jktxs

Reaction score
Looks like he plays it on stage...
He also has techs in case sh!t hits the fan. Given Greeny's track record of being played on high gain with Gary Moore I doubt it'll happen but hey, better safe than sorry. No one wants uncontrollable feedback blaring through the PAs at stadium levels.

Heck, even Slash got the A2 pros on his Appetite for Destruction Derrig repotted. Some of the most iconic LP tones were recorded with potted, symmetric wind Duncans PAF aficionados would scoff at.