Verdict on the Un-Potted Custom Buckers in the New R8's and R9's?

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows the numbers, but it's for sure A LOT more than 3K/Yr....

Gibson4NJ

Reaction score
I have the first MHS unpotted pickups in a Memphis ES Les Paul. They immediately made me hate my Red 335 with Burstbuckers. The potting isn't the whole story but I without question feel more of the guitar coming through - especially in that transitional "tubes breathing" zone.

Huge, complex, sweet sound. Just can't play them through a Dual Rectifier slammed with an HM-2. Boo hoo.

They also pick up on every tiny detail of your left and right hand technique. Like an acoustic amp. Sometimes a little jarring when you have as a little talent as I do

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since Gibson, apparently, only makes about 3,000 Rx a year, and we're only a third of the way through, I'd question how many of those people commenting on how they sound have actually heard one.

D296C252-DC35-4411-BFB9-B941B59F9565.gif

I’m sorry,... but that is such a hellacious underestimate.... 3000 guitars wouldn’t even cover the costs of having a Custom Shop Historic program.... for example there was 300 of each Collectors Choice model.... in 2014 there was at least 10 CC models released.... besides all the unlimited regular reissue Historic models.... 2014 alone may have reached 50k Historics being produced.... I may have overstated (cuz Gibson won’t say) but I doubt it..... the 2015 True Historics May have been very limited.... under 5000? ..... maybe.

Last edited:

VicodinDream

Reaction score
I have the first MHS unpotted pickups in a Memphis ES Les Paul. They immediately made me hate my Red 335 with Burstbuckers. The potting isn't the whole story but I without question feel more of the guitar coming through - especially in that transitional "tubes breathing" zone.

Huge, complex, sweet sound. Just can't play them through a Dual Rectifier slammed with an HM-2. Boo hoo.

They also pick up on every tiny detail of your left and right hand technique. Like an acoustic amp. Sometimes a little jarring when you have as a little talent as I do
THIS!!! It nails it. I play a decent acoustic and I find unpotted electric pickups just grabs the nuances best. I believe the Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers are unpotted as well. There is many on the market. They are not meant for high gain on stage playing. They are meant for studio, small gig, small amp setups.

I want a set of these custom buckers because I like the Alnico 3 style sounds.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
I believe the Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers are unpotted as well.
Indeed they are! But you can order them potted, lightly potted, etc. I'd say they work best for touch-sensitive styles without a ton of preamp gain and volume.

Bearded Rainbow

Reaction score
They are very lovely pickups if you are into the sound of a late 50s Les Paul. I can compare them to one of my early T-top humbuckers in terms of responsiveness and microphonics. For example, tapping the pickup ring with a plectrum will produce an audible click through your amp. There’s a good reason why DiMarzio was a success in the 70s as people started playing with higher gain. If you play higher gain you might want to look for some pickups designed for that.

cnote

Reaction score
If you think unpotted humbuckers are the ticket, you should try unpotted strat pickups in your strat.

Anyway, my feeling is that earlier this decaded Gibson's Custom Buckers were less heavily potted than prior versions. There was plenty of vintage tone and squeal. Unless someone removes the unpotted and potted CB pickups and does a controlled A/B it will be hard to tell. LPs vary so much on so many other factors.

DanD

Reaction score
View attachment 375503

I’m sorry,... but that is such a hellacious underestimate.... 3000 guitars wouldn’t even cover the costs of having a Custom Shop Historic program.... for example there was 300 of each Collectors Choice model.... in 2014 there was at least 10 CC models released.... besides all the unlimited regular reissue Historic models.... 2014 alone may have reached 50k Historics being produced.... I may have overstated (cuz Gibson won’t say) but I doubt it..... the 2015 True Historics May have been very limited.... under 5000? ..... maybe.
I'd say well under 5k for TH.

One must remember that when THs were put out there that 2014 R spec models were still being cranked out.

Just from perusing the used ebay/ reverb ads it's easy to see that THs weren't and aren't that numerous.

Ebay currently has 11 True Historics for sale in the US. :hmm:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd say well under 5k for TH.

One must remember that when THs were put out there that 2014 R spec models were still being cranked out.

Just from perusing the used ebay/ reverb ads it's easy to see that THs weren't and aren't that numerous.

Ebay currently has 11 True Historics for sale in the US. :hmm:
Absolutely.... if I remember correctly the 2015 TH9 and TH8 were advertised under 800 each and the remaining TH models BB7 TH6, TH7 and others were well under the 800 mark.... I could be wrong tho.