Verdict on the Un-Potted Custom Buckers in the New R8's and R9's?

ChuckNOS

Reaction score
So I just experienced my first go in a jam setting with these 60th Anniversary R9 unpotted PAF clones. They do squeal quite a bit and need to be tamed win either distance or less gain. Less gain in a jam when other guitarists get too loud is less than an ideal situation. When you cannot hear your own playing, that’s an issue. That said, mostly I don’t get out to jam so the levels don’t get too high. Mostly I play in my home with friends and the levels are relatively tame. That said, these PUs deliver the sweetest, thickest tone and sustain forever when not pushed to the point of feedback. I love the sound. Not so much the squeal. Looking for ways to shield these pickups with needing to mod the guitar. I have a spare pair of the 1st edition Bonamassa PAF clones but I’d rather not modify this guitar.

ARandall

Reaction score
There is no such thing as 'shielding' for pickups.
Squeal feedback is a mechanical reaction, so you have to have a physical fix - which usually involves removing the cover at the least.
As already described in the thread, you are either taping the cover so that vibration to the bobbins is dampened, or potting of some description.

The only minor ray of hope is that you might have the baseplate rattling via screws/spring being loose. Some foam stuffed in the gap between cover and spring might do the trick, but its more of a longshot for the typical spring length used.

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
So I just experienced my first go in a jam setting with these 60th Anniversary R9 unpotted PAF clones. They do squeal quite a bit and need to be tamed win either distance or less gain. Less gain in a jam when other guitarists get too loud is less than an ideal situation. When you cannot hear your own playing, that’s an issue. That said, mostly I don’t get out to jam so the levels don’t get too high. Mostly I play in my home with friends and the levels are relatively tame. That said, these PUs deliver the sweetest, thickest tone and sustain forever when not pushed to the point of feedback. I love the sound. Not so much the squeal. Looking for ways to shield these pickups with needing to mod the guitar. I have a spare pair of the 1st edition Bonamassa PAF clones but I’d rather not modify this guitar.
I am fortunate to have one of the great pickup gurus in rock history leaving nearby, and I have spent hours hanging out at his home shop and talking all things guitar. His advice is exactly what it sounds like you have ascertained: unpotted pickups are fine for playing at lower levels at home, mostly clean, but are problematic when playing out, cranking up or using increased levels of gain. Interestingly, he feels the benefits of unpotted pickups are so subjective that they don't outweigh the noise/squeal disadvantages, so he pots all his pickups by default.

bridger

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I am fortunate to have one of the great pickup gurus in rock history leaving nearby, and I have spent hours hanging out at his home shop and talking all things guitar. His advice is exactly what it sounds like you have ascertained: unpotted pickups are fine for playing at lower levels at home, mostly clean, but are problematic when playing out, cranking up or using increased levels of gain. Interestingly, he feels the benefits of unpotted pickups are so subjective that they don't outweigh the noise/squeal disadvantages, so he pots all his pickups by default.
I understand that UN-POTED hum buckers may be more prone to squeal than potted ones, but I can't imagine that the 2019 Gibson Historics are only meant to be played at home, clean, and at low volume levels..??
So, if anyone wants to gig with a new R-8 or R-9 their going to be left with a squeaky mess?

ARandall

Reaction score
Plenty of people throughout history have played with absolutely cranked backlines with unpotted humbuckers.
Individual guitars can vary, leading to an increased chance of squeal, and of course the process of fitting a cover is hardly a precision step.
One person's opinion is simply that.........there has almost endless contradictory evidence to show that it is not the case all the time. Hence it should be taken with a large dose of salt.

treatb

Reaction score
isn't it for the true historic line? they are doing more hide glue too. if you wrap the coils tight enough or in a way that the wire doesn't move, then they won't squeal. with just the right amount of squeal, you can dial in the pickup's tone more by tension and wrapping style.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember Mr. Page, complaining on forums about squealing pups, back in the '70.
Yeah.... while using his bow and an echo-plex :rofl:

ChuckNOS

Reaction score
Not just my "opinion" that they squealed, that was a fact. That said, once one knows of such a tendency then steps can be takebn to stop or control the out of control feedback. For me, I was playing along just famously, with no discernible feedback through the guitar, but then I changed the position of my equipment so that was closer to the amp. Viola, feedback. A tweak or two, a bit more distance and everything was back under control.

michaelinokc

Reaction score
I have a set in my R8 and another set in an SG Standard. Couldn't be happier with them. No squealing here.

GearHo

Reaction score
Next years improvement, Gibson reissues with potted pickups.....

It's not that they sound bad, I have unpotted pickups I love, but in the right environment they can squeal. If that bugs you less gain solves the problem, not gibson reissuing them as an improvement. Historically closer to original, but that's it.

ChuckNOS

Reaction score
Part of the charm for me splurging on the 60th Anniversary R9 was the promise of historical accuracy. The feedback doesn't totally freak me out, it's just something I hadn't known to expect. And frankly, had I been savvy prior to my purchase, maybe I would have re-thought the wisdom of the buy.

However, I repeat. I LOVE this guitar and its tone. The loud and sharp call is now part of its charm, a beast to be wrestled into submission and tamed, to the extent it will be tamed. Being ever careful to not turn your back too much lest the beast recall its wild instinct and pierce the night air with which would be sounds of ecstasy if heard coming from one's lover(s).

treatb

Reaction score
i thought all burstbuckers were unpotted?

Side Burns

Reaction score
My MIJ Burny had unpotted pickups and it was unusable jamming with the band until I pulled the covers.

ACEit

Reaction score
i thought all burstbuckers were unpotted?
the common knowledge is that the ones mounted on guitars are potted.. the ones sold as aftermarket parts are unpotted.

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
I haven't played either, and inter web forums are 50/50 that they are either harsh & microphonic, or offer an enhanced "open" & midrangy tone.

I can't imagine Gibon would put out a "squeally" microphonic pickup just for the sake of being historically accurate??
What sayeth you?
Since Gibson, apparently, only makes about 3,000 Rx a year, and we're only a third of the way through, I'd question how many of those people commenting on how they sound have actually heard one.