Verdict on the Un-Potted Custom Buckers in the New R8's and R9's?

bridger

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't played either, and inter web forums are 50/50 that they are either harsh & microphonic, or offer an enhanced "open" & midrangy tone.

I can't imagine Gibon would put out a "squeally" microphonic pickup just for the sake of being historically accurate??
What sayeth you?

Attachments

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
No experience with the new non-potted ones, but I'll gladly be the guy to say the regular potted CBs are badass pickups, and if they only made the change to be more historically accurate and it created noise or squeal problems that's a damn shame.

goldtop0

Reaction score
I 'unpotted' mine in '13/14....... two historics back then.
They're really good pups so no problems at all.

ARandall

Reaction score
Half the guitaring world (especially the ones into strat and superstrat styles) thinks the whole concept of a Les Paul is putting out a badly designed guitar just to be historically accurate.......

As to the pickups - the thread premise is meaningless. If you play high gain they will squeal....its the nature of the beast. But play low gain (what the pickups are slanted toward in the first place) and they wont. You cannot separate out individual experience from the way opinion is formed.

And until you try them for yourself, its best not to form opinions.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got mine, I like them. They are pretty clear and defined, I haven't had a chance to measure the resistance, but the have that slight teetering on the edge of feedback at times. Yes I play with elevated gain but not insane levels. They sounded great thru my BE100...

I'll say this about the overall electronics on the 19's though, it's nice to have a FUNCTIONAL volume and tone controls out of the box. Far better sweep and range than previous years. Comparing to my MSSC equipped guitars, the 19's are decent, still MSSC edges it a tad but for something mass produced and stock, they're much improved than what we have been given.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Half the guitaring world (especially the ones into strat and superstrat styles) thinks the whole concept of a Les Paul is putting out a badly designed guitar just to be historically accurate.......
Fender is no different and there is obviously a large market for bad designs but I agree with you about this thread. They'll be no different than the hundred unpotted aftermarket PAF options.

TrippyStormtrooper

Reaction score
What year did they start doing that?

Because my 16’ R8 sounds like the pickups are unpotted. Fairly noisier than I’ve heard with a humbuggy before and there’s an interesting hum when in the middle position and the volume knobs aren’t set to the same values; IE neck is at 8 and bridge at 10, etc. If they’re equal they’re dead silent.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
What year did they start doing that?

Because my 16’ R8 sounds like the pickups are unpotted. Fairly noisier than I’ve heard with a humbuggy before and there’s an interesting hum when in the middle position and the volume knobs aren’t set to the same values; IE neck is at 8 and bridge at 10, etc. If they’re equal they’re dead silent.
2019 is the first year for unpotted CBs...prior years were potted. But that doesn’t mean they can’t still be quite lively. If you’re getting excessive squeal though it could be that a cover is loose. That can cause squeal on any pickup, potted or not.

Regarding your description of the hum, etc, in the middle position...that could indicate some kind of wiring issue as what you describe doesn’t sound particularly normal.

dspelman

Reaction score
Gibson has, for many years, put potted pickups in guitars. The pickups they sell in the aftermarket, however, are usually unpotted.

I was told that the unpotted pickups were a source of a lot of customer complaints, which was why they started that policy in the first place.
As mentioned above, potting doesn't eliminate noise from a cover banging against a bobbin; a properly attached cover usually has a spot of something like clear silicone caulk between the bobbin and the inside top of the cover to take care of that.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Gibson has, for many years, put potted pickups in guitars. The pickups they sell in the aftermarket, however, are usually unpotted.

I was told that the unpotted pickups were a source of a lot of customer complaints, which was why they started that policy in the first place.
As mentioned above, potting doesn't eliminate noise from a cover banging against a bobbin; a properly attached cover usually has a spot of something like clear silicone caulk between the bobbin and the inside top of the cover to take care of that.
..or a strip of double stick tape clamped between the cover and bobbin. Less invasive than a fully potted pickup, and can stop the squeal that can happen between the cover and the pickup bobbin.
Al

TrippyStormtrooper

Reaction score
2019 is the first year for unpotted CBs...prior years were potted. But that doesn’t mean they can’t still be quite lively. If you’re getting excessive squeal though it could be that a cover is loose. That can cause squeal on any pickup, potted or not.

Regarding your description of the hum, etc, in the middle position...that could indicate some kind of wiring issue as what you describe doesn’t sound particularly normal.
There’s no squeal per se. Just noise. When both volume pots are set equal in the middle position it’s dead quiet. Adjust either individually above or lower equal and you get a hum.

Wiring looks fine as far as I can tell but I’m no expert.

8D9F1819-6143-4E5A-B674-6F4E3AB1DE37.jpeg

jlb32

Reaction score
Potted or unpotted, IMO it is not going to make a huge tonal difference.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
There’s no squeal per se. Just noise. When both volume pots are set equal in the middle position it’s dead quiet. Adjust either individually above or lower equal and you get a hum.

Wiring looks fine as far as I can tell but I’m no expert.

View attachment 365600
Everything looks fine, but the reason I said it might be a wiring issue is because when I got my 2018 R8 I was experiencing some of the same issues you’re describing. Everything looked fine, but when I took it to an authorized Gibson repair facility it turned out that the neck pickup lead and the three-way switch lead were switched and connected backwards (ie, the switch lead was connected to the pickup lug & the pickup lead was connected to the switch lug). Again looked totally normal, but with those two things switched it was doing strange things. I got it fixed under warranty so no big deal (and I’ve since put a ThroBak vintage wiring harness in it anyway so it doesn’t really matter). May not be what’s going on with you, but just wanted to say that looks can be deceiving cuz even though it looked right, mine was still not right. May not be what’s going on with yours, but just wanted to say that looks can be deceiving cuz even though mine “looked right”, it wasn’t.

Last edited:

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
On way to help squealing is to put some tape on the inside of the cover, yes you must remove the cover. This is just on an un potted pickup. With covers obviously.

It helps ...