veneer ?

mhz

Reaction score
I've always wondered how to tell if my epi has veneer. I read that you can look at the pickup cavity to do that. Can someone see if I have veneer on my epi from the photos below? I hope that I took the pictures correctly.

5885938724_5c1c17aba1_z.jpg

5885939156_319024e98a_z.jpg

5885370389_e606437ce8_z.jpg

Sionyn

Reaction score
my 03 Korean custom plus is like this too

Tollan

Reaction score
What model is that? Is it an Elite/Elitist?

purevilpleasure

Reaction score
If it's a flame it's a veneer. If it's a plain top it might still be a veneer.

Sionyn

Reaction score
i don't know if there's any merit to this but i saw a claim back about 2004 in epiphone forum (before it was changed to gibson domain) that the last guitars in Korea (ones with grover tuners) have real flame maple caps with the wood left over before production was moved to their china plant.

it seems possible i guess this was around the same time when a fake epiphone picture was put that had a cardboard top resulting in epiphone chopping a ebony custom to show how it was constructed.

the poster did sand down his pickup cavity and it did indeed look like flame maple.

is there any merit to this ?
i have my doubts

qpHalcy0n

Reaction score
If it's an elite it should be a maple cap all the way to the top. No veneer.

I've got an 03 Elite and it's got no veneer.

Tollan

Reaction score
it's an elite.

What's pg off on ?

Thought so :) The plaintops definitely don't have a veneer and although a lot of people say that the plus tops have a veneer, I'm not so sure. Not sure at all. I have seen something recently that makes me think that they don't. Still yet to SEE any conclusive evidence that shows that they do have veneers.

PG = pick guard

purevilpleasure

Reaction score
If it's an elite it should be a maple cap all the way to the top. No veneer.

I've got an 03 Elite and it's got no veneer.

If it's a plain top.

The Flames where still veener as far as I know. Infact even the OBG had photoflame tops too if I remember right.

qpHalcy0n

Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder where this idea came from. It may be the case where some are and some are not. I have an 03 Elite Std Plus and it most certainly does NOT have a veneer. It's very clearly got bookmatched grain from the inside and no evidence whatsoever of a veneer.

Now my 1960 V3, on the other hand clearly does have a veneer. From within, the maple also looks much different. You would not see any evidence of bookmatching unless it were a plaintop on these particular models.

purevilpleasure

Reaction score
Epis never had any photoflames....

they always had real veneer :thumb:

I know that, but the OBG's and the MIJ Epi's where built at the same plant. I know no Epi's had a Photo. I was just stating that if I remember right even the Elites had a veneer on flame tops.

Tollan

Reaction score
I know that, but the OBG's and the MIJ Epi's where built at the same plant. I know no Epi's had a Photo. I was just stating that if I remember right even the Elites had a veneer on flame tops.

I've heard this before, but never SEEN any evidence of it. I have an Elitist plus top, but it's in another country at the moment so I can't check... but the photos I've seen from others really don't look like there's an veneer. I think the Elite/Elitist legend of the veneer may well be false... it needs to be PROVED, photographically :dude:

GammyBird

Reaction score
Looks like veneer to me....nothing wrong with that though.

Latest Threads