Veneer on Yahoo Burny?

Side Burns

Reaction score
It does look like 2 different seams. If i had to guess it looks like a solid top with a veneer. Wait for a second opinion tho

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Kind of hard to tell from that pic but it looks like the seams don't line up. Tell the seller you need a pic where the cavity is lit up better. Ask for a pic of the side of the cavity. That way you can see if the grain matched the top grain.

BKS

Reaction score
Looks veneer to me but not 100 % shure on that. Don't really see the seam run down in the centre. But in other spots it looks like top grain matches the side. Picture is not clear enough.

64F100

Reaction score
Whatever's going on there, the grains in the pickup cavity do not line up with the center of the top. It does kind of look like one piece of wood under the veneer, but I think the grains just got lucky and lined up. The veneer center is slightly right of underneath's center.

Side Burns

Reaction score
Its a solid top, not just a veneer on mahogany.
But after sharpening and brightening up its easier to see the seam that i penciled an arrow on doesn’t seem to line up with the top seam by a mm or so.

2BD048A5-8A14-4BA6-B5AF-3F74FE4B02AE.jpeg

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I'd agree here. Solid top. The rounded smooth maple gives the illusion of a veneer.
I think that's not what he said.
I think with solid top he means 'full thickness maple cap', no matter if there is a veneer or not. And that's the definition I have in mind aswell.
Since there are also models with no maple top, just the veneer.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I can't tell. from the photo. The seam might be the light colored line that does line up with the top one.

I have one here that I think is a solid flamed top and there is only one out of 3 spots that you can easily follow the seam all the way down. The other 2 places I'd expect to see it, it's really, really hard to be certain it's there.

Side Burns

Reaction score
Don't think that's a seam to be honest
I could be wrong.

I wouldn’t be turned off by it. If if the finish is nice with no plans to refinish than i guess no biggie. Plus is a veneer any better or worse than thick poly clear as far as nit picking

Side Burns

Reaction score
I can't tell. from the photo. The seam might be the light colored line that does line up with the top one.

I have one here that I think is a solid flamed top and there is only one out of 3 spots that you can easily follow the seam all the way down. The other 2 places I'd expect to see it, it's really, really hard to be certain it's there.
I did have to doctor the photo to get it to pop.

What about the lighter edge? Idk we need a higher resolution pic if its.
:hmm:

Roxy13

Reaction score
I did have to doctor the photo to get it to pop. :hmm:
I had to look at mine with a lighted, magnified visor and I also used my thumb nail to feel the seams just to be sure of what I was looking at. Some are harder than others to tell and when you have a solid flame top that has very light flame it's not as obvious as the heavily flamed ones.

iguana15

Reaction score
I’ve noticed a few veneered Super Grades that have veneer that’s starting to separate a bit, so I’ve been hoping to find a solid topped example with a bit of flame. Unfortunately the seller has not responded to my request for more photos. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s far more likely that it’s a veneer. Thanks a lot for all your eyes on!
Here’s an old story from my youth. In approximately 1982, I traveled to a nearby big city in search of a used Les Paul. I tried a few, couldn’t find one that I really loved. Then I picked up what looked like a real nice flame top, I played it a few seconds and exclaimed “ I found it!“. Then I looked up at the headstock. To my dismay and horror, it said Burny on the headstock....I passed. I was prejudiced against anything that didn’t say Gibson. Boy I wish I snagged that guitar now. It was probably a used Flg 90 or 150.

Latest Threads