VCCD (Vintage Chainsaw Case Day)

crosstownblues

Wraptail Fan
Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I saw the posting a few days ago and let it fester in the back of my head. The price was right, though I'd have to drive and hour and fifteen to get it. After thinking about how much protection the custom shop case provides vs the chainsaw case, how the custom shop case screams "take me!", I couldn't resist. The inside is clean and fluffy and, other than being a little dirty, the outside is in very good shape. Whichever guitar I decide goes to the gig goes into the chainsaw case for the night. Good times!

58214911045__518BDC63-E2FC-48CD-8C99-7C67A01FAE18.jpg
58214977489__1D4CEE65-F6D4-4347-AD2B-3EC188B132CE.jpg

Uncle Vinnie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Good and practical score.

My '79 Custom came with a chainsaw case, blue interior. I think it had different latches than yours, I believe they were plastic and molded into the case. Not as pretty as the earlier cases, but much better protection for the guitar.

crosstownblues

Wraptail Fan
Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
One thing I noticed, which I'm not sure I like, is that the headstock comes into contact with the padded material on the floor of the case. The historic Les Pauls might have a greater break angle with the headstock than USA Les Pauls of the era the case was made, which could explain that. Does anyone have any insight/input?

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Those are good solid cases, I could even tolerate the poo coloured plush inside good way for guitar to ride around in style. SAFE TOO :dude:

crosstownblues

Wraptail Fan
Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those are good solid cases, I could even tolerate the poo coloured plush inside good way for guitar to ride around in style. SAFE TOO :dude:
The only worry I have is that the headstock touches the padding on the floor of the case. Not so sure that is safe... :(

DarrellV

Caramel Biscuits! - Wooo!
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only worry I have is that the headstock touches the padding on the floor of the case. Not so sure that is safe... :(
I would say no. If possible I would fold a small towel under the neck support till it clears the bottom of the case.

A finish safe one, of course.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Yeah that seems to be a thing with these cases. Im so careful with my LP it rests on an upholstered chair stool with my roomates big old ski glove under the neck to keep it upright :laugh2: So i'd imagine i'd be putting something cushy in that case under the headstocks.

crosstownblues

Wraptail Fan
Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's the plushy stuff that contacts the headstock. I can't say for sure how much pressure is put on the headstock, but I'm not too keen on it. It would almost be worth removing some of the padding under the plush...

DarrellV

Caramel Biscuits! - Wooo!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's the plushy stuff that contacts the headstock. I can't say for sure how much pressure is put on the headstock, but I'm not too keen on it. It would almost be worth removing some of the padding under the plush...
The soft plush by itself is no threat to the headstock, IMO.

The bigger fear to me is what may happen if the case falls over or is dropped on its back.

That plush will give until the head stock hits the hard shell underneath it and then there is no more absorption.

Is it just skinning the plush behind the headstock, or is it sunk in ?

Just touching it should not pose a problem. Sunk in, I'd be worried.