Van Halen III

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Roth Era: Well, it's the Roth Era, and Dave seemed to have driven the EVH boat in some very good directions. Rock/Pop/Dance/Novelty songs most under 4 minutes that had balls no matter how freaking nice.

Or could drive like a truck through the front of your house and somehow work in some of the best harmonies in hard rock.

Sammy Era: Van Hagar. It's Hagar with access to EVH's brain producing some great Pop/Rock. Less balls but still fun, great sounds and kicks some ass.

III: EVH in the driver seat. Michael Anthony mostly sidelined, no producer to say no, and no singer with an ego big enough to edit Eddie.
A lovely bit of music.
And enough music for at least two songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT8RdKN8u9w

Just remember, it's a freshman record. It's truly a Eddie Van Halen album and worth about three listens as there are some good ideas, but it will kill you when those good ideas end up in the trash.
And Gary's lyrics are more incoherent than a drunk Dave who dropped his notebook and just improvised.

Reactions: Who

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Gary can sing.

But listening to this I get the feeling that EVH on III wanted to be the next Extreme as he sounds more like Nuno than EVH.

PeteK

Reaction score
I still maintain that this is a good song and if it had been any band but Van Halen, it would have been a hit.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I still maintain that this is a good song and if it had been any band but Van Halen, it would have been a hit.

I agree but if they had kept it down to 4 minutes, 5 tops. And I'm not sure where Gary is going vocally as he's done some stellar stuff and should have dialed it back a bit IMO.

This is one of the songs that has too many good ideas for one song.

Van Halen III Cherone says "was written as we went along. It could have been developed more. Mike Post produced it. He's great guy with a lot of success in TV, but in retrospect, maybe not the right guy to do it. It’s not the most enjoyable listen as far as the production. There’s a couple of good songs on that record that could have [worked], maybe if they were tightened up in arrangement. I think of 'One I Want,' I thought 'Once' was something new. 'A Year to the Day' – there was some great guitar in that song. Looking back, was 'Without You' the right song to release (as the album's first single)? You know, you really never know."

Read More: The Troubled History of Van Halen's 'III' With Gary Cherone | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/15-years-ago-van-halen-release-iii/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Maybe, as it doesn’t sound like a VH song, though there is a lot of good stuff in it. I give Eddie credit for chasing his muse and wanting to finally run his ship instead of Sammy, Dave and producers, but he really should have found a trusted person to act as a sounding board or partner in crime like George Martin was to the Beatles.

PeteK

Reaction score
This song is also not horrible. Just got wrapped up in the being on VHIII record that everyone loved to hate.

Bluesky

Reaction score
Wow......thats different. Definitely not worth me listening to .......not because its truly bad, its not, but with such great records available in the VH catalog , why ?

How did anything on that record make VH's top 100 on that last poll?

ADKOT is OK.....supposedly leftover stuff from the 70s? My only thoughts are.....If that was the best he had in 2009......whats left of all the recordings he made? MAYBE Ted Templman can come out of retirement and save the day. String a bunch of ideas together.....If Sammy can't, no one can.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Wow......thats different. Definitely not worth me listening to .......not because its truly bad, its not, but with such great records available in the VH catalog , why ?

How did anything on that record make VH's top 100 on that last poll?

ADKOT is OK.....supposedly leftover stuff from the 70s? My only thoughts are.....If that was the best he had in 2009......whats left of all the recordings he made? MAYBE Ted Templman can come out of retirement and save the day. String a bunch of ideas together.....If Sammy can't, no one can.
I think Eddie suffered from what a lot of musicians do, they get lost in coming up with great ideas and never develop a song around them. Probably a lot of us here have recordings of song ideas that we never developed,
Guys like Satriani, Vai, Dimeola, Page, Lukather, Hatfield and Jason Becker actually use their chops to compose music. If they have an idea in a song that they can’t play they develop more chops so they can.
I’m hoping there is enough in his vault that Sam, Dave and Wolf can put together a few good VH albums with Alex and Michael Anthony. Maybe even Gary can get a few in. The Beatles managed to pull one really good song out of a demo by Lennon so anything is possible.

JTM45

Reaction score
I liked Gary with Extreme a lot, he fit that well, with Eddie not so much. It wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t Van Halen

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Van Halen, Mk 1 or Mk 2? Mk 1

Kiss, Mk 1 or Mk 2? Mk 1

Jimi Hendrix, Mk 1 or Mk 2? Mk 1

Deep Purple, Mk 1 or Mk 2? Mk 2 (Well there are exceptions)

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
not one of their best moments....Gary WTF are you doing...

The infamous goose step and salute event, but damn did he work his ass off.

I think he was right saying they should have done a tour before doing the album.

JTM45

Reaction score
‘he looks like a drunkin lizard looking to get fucked

Latest Threads