Value of a 335 w/ Repaired Headstock?

The_Wretched

Reaction score
Hey guys, random question. So I have a 335 in Pelham Blue that I was trading about a year ago. Long story short, it arrived damaged by FedEx. They covered the damage after a few months of arguing, They packed it, so it was their fault. I ended up buying the other guitar, plus keeping the damaged guitar.

I had the headstock repaired and other than a hairline crack that is visible, you can't even feel it, it plays perfectly fine. The reason I was trying to trade it was that I really wasn't playing it. I barely touched the thing in like 2 years. It's a great guitar, I just moved on to P90s and Jazzmasters mostly. I still have a LP Jr. that I play but I rarely touch the 335. It does play and sound like it did before. No tuning issues.

Is it a lost cause or should I try to sell/trade? Waste of time? Nobody will want it? I'll have to explain/reexplain and consider lowball offers?

Hang it up on the wall as art?

It was repaired by a reputable and experienced luthier in Tampa. Guitar Repair of Tampa Bay, by someone who used to be a luthier at Dean Guitars for many years.

If I could sell, what would be a realistic number or trade value?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3417.jpg
    IMG_3417.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8662.JPG
    IMG_8662.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8661.JPG
    IMG_8661.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 53

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Ballpark, starting point?
What does that model & color go for used, then cut that amount in half and maybe add a couple hundred bucks.

And if you sell it online I wouldn't feel obligated to show the break pictures, the final repair is good enough. That'd be like bringing X-rays of your trimalleolar ankle break to a first date with a girl :)

bum

Reaction score
I mean, I have a 335 and honestly, I would buy that, no question - If I got good vibes about the repair.
There will be people who absolutely lust after a Pelham Blue 335, a smaller crowd maybe but that will be someone's ideal guitar, I am certain of it.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
Before the COVID price gouge BS started, I paid 1560 for a 2002 ES-335 in Tobacco Burst with a repaired headstock. I hope that helps.

mjross

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I think a lot of what you can get out of a headstock repaired guitar depends on who repaired it. I have a Les Paul Custom that I purchased back in 2006 (new) that was repaired by Seuf’s and I did not hesitate a minute. You really have to look to find the repair and the average person would never know anything happened. Have had ZERO ISSUES with that guitar and it plays like butter (what ever that means). Depending on how OCD the prospective buyer is you might be able to sell it pretty easily if it was repaired properly.

The_Wretched

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Appreciate the insight. Guitar plays and sounds great. I even loaned it to a buddy of mine at church and he kept it for like 4 months while I forgot that I lent it to him. That's how little I play that guitar. It's not it's a bad repair or I'm trying to get rid of it, it's just not my thing anymore. It's a shame too, because I have so many people tell me that it's beautiful. I get more compliments from that guitar than any other guitar. I have Novo, Danocaster, and R9 and a couple of Gretsches. Combined.... I don't get half the compliments of that pelham blue 335! hahaha

The_Wretched

Reaction score
I mean, I have a 335 and honestly, I would buy that, no question - If I got good vibes about the repair.
There will be people who absolutely lust after a Pelham Blue 335, a smaller crowd maybe but that will be someone's ideal guitar, I am certain of it.

She definitely is pretty. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8479.JPG
    IMG_8479.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8480.JPG
    IMG_8480.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 10

bum

Reaction score
It really is a very handsome guitar, congrats on it!

Latest Threads