Value of a 1968 Les Paul Custom, player and so on?

comcf

Reaction score
I am no collector and buy to play. But I do care about resale value as I don't want to lose too much when moving on to the next one.

I have a lead on a 1968 LP Custom. It's player grade with mostly original finish, a well done headstock repair, no original pickups, two original pots and both caps. The bridge is original, no idea about the tailpiece. Someone put some of those 70s mini switches near the pots. It needs a refret, which I am not afraid of. Lots of mojo. I do have a couple of pre t tops I can put into this one. Really, really comfortable to play.

I see good condition examples listed at $16K+. The seller is asking $8K. What are people's ideas about the price? Would appreciate if anyone can reference a guide or links with comps from the last two-three months.

This isn't the guitar, but just to give some idea:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't say wether is good value or not, its well under any price i have seen for one. There are two of similar age for sale in uk, no breaks though and they are both double that price.

Deftone

Reaction score
I'd jump on it for that price. Verify it is real.

comcf

Reaction score
Im leaning towards it; just want to ensure I dont end up too upside down in the event if a future sale...

vklobucar

Reaction score
Perhaps I am missing something (and have not followed the market that closely) but a 1968 LP with a headstock break, non original pickups and body drilled out for mini switches cannot be worth 16k can it?

I would think that the above mentioned mods and break drastically reduces the price no?

Reactions: Who

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Perhaps I am missing something (and have not followed the market that closely) but a 1968 LP with a headstock break, non original pickups and body drilled out for mini switches cannot be worth 16k can it?

I would think that the above mentioned mods and break drastically reduces the price no?
This particular example is going for 8k.

comcf

Reaction score
If you’re “buying to play” then there is no reason to pay three to four times as much as other Customs just to get a 1968.

If you’re spending that kind of loot, it’s because of the rarity of 1968 models, not because of any superiority.

It’s a broken beaten instrument. You can easily find a broken beaten Custom for $2,000. Your decision is... do you want to pay $6,000 to say you have a 1968 Les Paul?
Im still wondering how $8K for a 1968 Les Paul in that condition fits with the current market.

Jon W

Reaction score
I thought a 1960 Les Pau Special would be really cool to have. I've played a few. However a used but like new 2019 Custom shop reissue special came up for 1/4 of the price of an actual 1960 model. I thought, should I hold out for an actual 1960? I'm a player and want the best tool for the buck. So I bought it and saved a lot of money whie achieving the same if not better level of function.

So I now have a guitar that I played before I bought, it is resonant, has great note separation, a nice mid range voice, perfect frets, straight neck , is every bit as good if not better than any of the old ones i've played and it has ZERO issues. Even if I could afford one, I doubt I'd ever put down that kind of cash just to have something that is old.

Last edited:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a '68 (a real one, not a reissue) back when it was just an old guitar, paid $400 for it. It was a nice guitar but really nothing special.

With a headstock break, non-stock pups and needing a re-fret???? - - there would be no way I'd pay $8k. NFW.

ETA: I could be wrong, but I think the market is peaking. Guitars aren't moving as briskly as they were a month or two ago. There are a couple goldtops that I'm dying for, but I'm going to wait on the if-come that prices will start to come down.

Last edited:

Marshall50w

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't buy a guitar with all of those issues especially without the original pickups. In general you will see a better return on a guitar with no issues in the longer run. You will also likely enjoy the guitar that bit more. I do think the R8's R9's are excellent guitars, are close enough to the originals often with better playability at a fraction of the outlay.

BSeneca

Reaction score
The bridge is not original either. I have both vintage and reissue guitars. There is something "different" about my vintage ones. But I like you am a player first. I had ridiculous deals on both of my vintage Gibsons or I would never have owned one. I will say this: the reissues I have had hold their own with my vintage guitars. Are they the same? No. But they are amazing instruments in their own right. I think a rule of thumb is headstock break takes 50% off which is where you are but there are NUMEROUS other issues. If it speaks to you I get it. But you may be hard pressed to get 8k back when you sell it if you do. Keep in my market shifts. Clean Juniors were about 5k a couple of years ago now they are 8k. And could easily drop back down at any time. Dont know if any of this helps but ive only had one cup of coffee. Good Luck, Brian

Latest Threads