Value of 1956 Les Paul Junior refinished?

HarryQ

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark value Of a 1956 Les Paul Junior? It used to be a sunburst that has been refinished in opaque TV nitro. It used to have a tunomatic and stop tailpiece, but was restored back to original type when it was refinished. All hardware is recent except the pickguard, truss rod cover, and early fifties Kluson tuners. There are no neck breaks or cracks. The neck angle is excellent and it's been refretted with medium width tall frets. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the MyLesPaul Forum!
:thumb:
Can you post any pics?

bsmiley

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark value Of a 1956 Les Paul Junior? It used to be a sunburst that has been refinished in opaque TV nitro. It used to have a tunomatic and stop tailpiece, but was restored back to original type when it was refinished. All hardware is recent except the pickguard, truss rod cover, and early fifties Kluson tuners. There are no neck breaks or cracks. The neck angle is excellent and it's been refretted with medium width tall frets. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Harry, can't speak myself but for $50 I had Gruhn's do an appraisal on my 56 Special. Sent them some photos and detail and they provided an fair market value price.

:hmm:
If you're looking to unload one please disregard the above and I'd say it's worth $500, PM me and I will gladly take it off your hands! :laugh2:

HarryQ

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I have a digital camera, but I'm one of those technically challenged guys who hasn't learned how to link pics yet I'll try to get one of my friends to help me get a pic up. For reference, it looks very similar to one currently showing up in the completed auctions on Ebay.

jimi55lp

Reaction score
Welcome Harry, If your looking at a 56' refin convered to TV model, you really haven't given us enough info, but perhaps you could jpeg a photo to someone that is able to post it? I'll take a stab sight unseen, a say that the issues you listed (missing changed modern parts, refinish wrong color and non translucent, and moved tailpiece placements) I think it's safe to suggest 50% off just for the refin and an estimated price for the original parts that are missing,Tailpiece and studs 550.00, harness 250.00, jackplate 250.00, P90 300.00, strap buttons 40.00. If you check the cost of an original 1956 Junior on Ebay and subtract the items I've listed you'll have something to go with even though I haven't touched on the moved and plugged tailpiece issues. Did the refin include the headstock and no serial#? The estimated cost of parts are just what I've seen lately, and could be had for less if you watch very hard, and all the costs don't suggest your having to pay a luthier to make the repairs, but perhaps you'll be able to make yourself. Just took a stab since you weren't getting any pricing and I'm thinking you needed something to bargain with. Good luck and be carefull.

HarryQ

Reaction score
Thanks for your very informative reply, Jimi55lp. This is my guitar that I've had since the early eighties. When I got it, it had no finish except a clear varnish type finish, and an archtop bridge and a cheesy japanese type tailpiece. The original serial number and front of peghead logos were still there, just with a varnish coat on top. It also had a humbucker instead of P-90. Like any self respecting rocker I sprayed it fire engine red and put a stop tail and tuneomatic on it. I sold it a couple of years later to a friend, who sprayed it white over the red. About 6 or 7 years ago he very kindly agreed to sell it back to me ( for a bit more than he paid me, of course!). I restored it to as close to original as I could with the exception of the TV finish, which I did to cover the tailpiece plugs and various ding repairs. The guitar still has the original peghead decals under the varnish. I know it's tough to value a guitar like this, which is why I wanted to ask those with more knowledge than me in this area. Again, thanks to everyone for this and any other advice!

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw an original 57 LP Jr. at a guitar show a few weeks back walk out the door for 4500. No mods, all original. Was beat up a little, but not bad. Played real nice! Had THE Mojo!

You can buy squeeky clean ones out there for 6500 +.

Don't mean to make you feel bad, but there's lots of them available, and sounds like yours had the mojo stripped and modded away a long time ago.

A friend of mine had a 56 LP Jr. he had stripped the finish from, and left it bare wood, many years ago. I offered him 2000 for it, but he wanted more for sentimental reasons. He owned it since the mid 70's. I would not offer a penny more unfortunately.

I would just keep it, play it, love it! :thumb:

bsmiley

Reaction score
Welcome Harry, If your looking at a 56' refin convered to TV model, you really haven't given us enough info, but perhaps you could jpeg a photo to someone that is able to post it? I'll take a stab sight unseen, a say that the issues you listed (missing changed modern parts, refinish wrong color and non translucent, and moved tailpiece placements) I think it's safe to suggest 50% off just for the refin and an estimated price for the original parts that are missing,Tailpiece and studs 550.00, harness 250.00, jackplate 250.00, P90 300.00, strap buttons 40.00. If you check the cost of an original 1956 Junior on Ebay and subtract the items I've listed you'll have something to go with even though I haven't touched on the moved and plugged tailpiece issues. Did the refin include the headstock and no serial#? The estimated cost of parts are just what I've seen lately, and could be had for less if you watch very hard, and all the costs don't suggest your having to pay a luthier to make the repairs, but perhaps you'll be able to make yourself. Just took a stab since you weren't getting any pricing and I'm thinking you needed something to bargain with. Good luck and be carefull.

I have a 56 Special with a Quan BadAss tailpiece, I went to find an original 56 tailpiece out there - and $500 was the minimum on them - unfortunately some of these guitars if not 100 point original are worth more in parts. I would image, as stated above, having less of the original parts would reduce the price considerably.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
On the upside, it's prob worth more in TV yellow than when it was fire engine red.

jimi55lp

Reaction score
"Resale Red", you will have to look hard if you want the parts, or pay through the nose if your in a hurry. The search is half the fun, and so worth the effort.

Latest Threads