Value - LP Standard Desert Burst vs other finishes?

Jeffva

Reaction score
I'm a new forum member and have a question about the value/desirability of LP Standard Plus models (2008 and later) with the Desert Burst finish. I've noticed that, unlike other Standard Plus model finishes (e.g., Heritage Cherry, Honey Burst, etc), the Desert Burst models are painted rather than stained on the back of the neck and body. I also saw that, in a MLP Forum poll, the Desert Burst finishes were not nearly as popular as some other finishes. I'm looking to buy a LP used Standard Plus and see a number of Desert Burst models available on eBay, but I'm concerned they would not bring the same price as others on the used market. Can anyone help with some thoughts/opinions?

dspelman

Reaction score
Hello Kitty is the most popular.
Supplants the Barbie/Ken paint job.
NASCAR versions are on the rise, however.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
don't worry about it. it is not going to affect re-sale value. I think its the least favorite because most people prefer to see wood grain on the backs vs painted.

fairlanericky

Reaction score
If all you're worried about is re-sale value of a particular finish of a newer LP, you're into guitars for the wrong reason, imo.

Ric

axepilot

Reaction score
I'm concerned they would not bring the same price as others on the used market. Can anyone help with some thoughts/opinions?

Are you collecting or are you playing? :hmm:

Who cares how popular a finish is in a web poll?!

Just get the finish that you want. I think most buyers in the used market are more concerned with condition, not what finish the guitar has.

Don't let perceived resale value become a main driver and steer you away from what might be killer guitars.

ACELUEK

ACE FREHLEY'S BASTARD SON
Reaction score
These reason that the Desert Burst is not at the top of list is we have lots of people with bad taste. ;)

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_00203.jpg

TheImmaterial

Reaction score
Rather than worry about it, buy a used one and take advantage of the fact they have lower resale!

DanL

Reaction score
These reason that the Desert Burst is not at the top of list is we have lots of people with bad taste. ;)

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_00203.jpg

Gorgeous guitar! I do wish the backs were just transparent red or something to match the outer burst color.

jlb32

Reaction score
No one sees the back of your guitar when you are playing anyway. Buy the color top you like IMO.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
You''re buying a Les Paul for it's furture re-sale value?
Very good luck with that.
I would suggest that something which is not valued today will not be in popular supply in the future, which will increase it's value.
Rather than looking at what's prized today, look at what isn't.
Except if you buy a '59 LPS of course.

JMB1984

Reaction score
Are other used ones with different finishes selling for more than the used desert bursts you see? This should answer your question.

JM2112

Reaction score
I'm a new forum member and have a question about the value/desirability of LP Standard Plus models (2008 and later) with the Desert Burst finish. I've noticed that, unlike other Standard Plus model finishes (e.g., Heritage Cherry, Honey Burst, etc), the Desert Burst models are painted rather than stained on the back of the neck and body. I also saw that, in a MLP Forum poll, the Desert Burst finishes were not nearly as popular as some other finishes. I'm looking to buy a LP used Standard Plus and see a number of Desert Burst models available on eBay, but I'm concerned they would not bring the same price as others on the used market. Can anyone help with some thoughts/opinions?

Forget about what other people like, buy what you like because otherwise you won't really be happy.

For me personally, I prefer the solid color finishes, wine red is my favorite. If I had to get a burst finish I would take desert burst in a heartbeat. :dude:

leftyguitarman

Reaction score
Just my two cents, but if you're going into a guitar purchase and the resale value is the biggest thing on your mind, you're doing it for all the wrong reasons. Resale value is the last thing I consider on a guitar.. actually, I have never considered it. I play guitar, not deal them. YMMV.

veeman

Reaction score
I'll take my lesser valued Desertburst over most any time.
5-13-123.jpg

BoogieMan_SC

Reaction score
I just got rid of my 2010 Standard in Desertburst....and I must say, I wish the damn thing had a transparent finish on the back too, although it wasn't too big of a deal. It's still my favorite of the FRONT finishes. My 2012 is a Teaburst which is also gorgeous, but I like the DB just a little bit more....but I like the 2012 more than my 2010 in general, due to the neck and better sonic versatility, etc.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You are best to try before you buy,
don't worry so much about the color,
get the one that sounds and plays the best!

DonP

Reaction score
A painted back might be hiding a two piece (or worse) body.

I like desert burst with gold hardware.

Latest Threads