Value Gibson lpj 2014?

Zentar

Reaction score
Is it a nitro or satin finish? Nitro sells for more. A lot more.

BKS

Reaction score
He wanted to trade for my hohner L59...

Zentar

Reaction score
I would think you'd like the LPjr. It's a fabulous guitar used by a ton of the best rock stars.
Remember that song Mississippi Queen by Leslie West? He used a LPjr.
Lonesome Dave in Foghat.
All the stars used a LPjr

MSB

Reaction score
condition and whether it comes with a case would depend my estimate.

BKS

Reaction score
I would think you'd like the LPjr. It's a fabulous guitar used by a ton of the best rock stars.
Remember that song Mississippi Queen by Leslie West? He used a LPjr.
Lonesome Dave in Foghat.
All the stars used a LPjr
LPJ not a Jr.

endial

Reaction score
To clarify- or am I missing something?

Is Satin not a lacquer finish? I'd bet my LPJ (not Junior) that it is indeed a lacquer finish. I'm fairly certain that the "Satin" moniker refers to the sheen, not the product. Satin being "not so shiny" whereas "Gloss" is glossy. All done in lacquer (product).

LPJ's have a THIN Satin, lacquer finish. If 2014's came in a glossier finish, it would be thicker than the thin finish they used for the Satins (2013, I can confirm.), but doubtful it's a thick gloss like what is on other regular production guitars.

Last edited:

jstarr823

Reaction score
Yes. All Gibsons are nitrocellulose lacquer... whether they’re satin (faded) or gloss. The satin/faded finishes are simply missing the high gloss nitro top coat.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I've seen them as low as $450 and as high as $800. Whether they sold at the higher price or not I have no clue.

stringbender11

Reaction score
I agree with most of the estimates, and will add.. selling used gear these days usually sucks, better to be the buyer. I've really become careful lately what I buy, so i don't have to sell it later. Just such a glut of gear these days. I see many of those LPJs for sale used, too. Nice guitars imho.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Most all Gibsons have a nitro finish.
I had a 1998 Les Paul Special SL in the past that had a poly finish.
SL = Sans Lacquer.

Faded and Satin finishes are nitro, just not as thick as Gloss finishes. Faded finishes are Satin finishes, but not all Satin finishes are Faded finishes. Faded finishes always have the grain unfilled. Some Satin finishes, usually the solid colors can have the grain filled.

"Satin" finish can be a confusing term because of the grain. The SG pictured below middle has the grain unfilled, which is the same as a Faded finish to the left of it, yet the official description for that model is "Satin Cherry." The SG on the far right has the grain filled and and the official description for that model is "Satin Ebony".

Last edited:

akuster777

Reaction score
I bought a good condition 2013 LPJ brown satin for $300 in 2016 and sold it for $400 in 2018. It was a good guitar, but my others LPs are better. Probably could get 500 for it nowadays.