V100afd let down

Apocalyptic

Reaction score
Hi all brand new to the forum and was hoping to join with a more positive post. Im a lefty and Ive been playing various budget guitars for a few years now and have found myself aspiring to a les paul copy. The vintage v100afd paradise caught my attention so i decided to go ahead and order one with a large seemingly reputable firm, getting the guitar price matched and next day delivery. Picked it up for £255 and eagerly awaited delivery. To my major dissapointment the first thing i noticed when removing it from its protective sleeve was a factory 'repair' to the veneer cap. Basically when installing the cap someone has broken 2 pieces off it which they subsequently glued back into place and laquered over. A small area (around the size of a penny) but not attractive nonetheless. Also a volume knob fell off and one came off in my hand( not major but added to the upset!)
Anyways, i returned it so am now les paulless!:shock:
Ive read a few other similar issues and having owned 2 vintage sg copies which are fairly decent i hoped for better.
Im determined to get a good one so will look elsewhere, however i would have to go mail order again which im now very dubious about (large debated involved about payment for returning the guitar)
In the meantime i have a local store who stock an epiphone standard ebony. A good price at 249 with free setup. Im tempted to get that and cool of on the v100afd for a while and maybe add one to my collection later.
I feel like the epiphone will face me with less problems, are there generally any issues with them or is this a good solid guitar for the money?
Cheers for reading

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Hi

and welcome here @ MLP

moved your thread to the Epi-section

probably the place you'll get more responses about Lefty Epis

:wave:

jay1williams

Reaction score
Welcome to MLP!

I have had numerous Epiphones over the years and never had an issue with the finish. usually just a quick setup is all that is needed.
personal tastes vary and you might be inclined to swap pickups and pots, but I find them to be an all around good fiddle for a little bit of $$$$

good luck

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
get an amber/natural colored Epi.

Drop some A2 Zebra pups into it and slap some gold reflector knobs on it,..and enjoy your custom, kickass, Slash guitar.

:dude:

Vintage are.......hit or miss. Very inconsistent from what I saw. They don't even serial number the guitars, because they're built everywhere.

maybe you get one from Korea and it's good? Maybe you get one from Indonesia that's pure garbage. ..there's no way to know what you'll get because they're made all over.

Hell mine was chambered and was supposed to be fully solid.

I'm sure my advice means nothing, but from my experiences I kept trying pretty much everything other then Gibson/Epiphone (I already had an Epi),..I tried Agile, I tried LTD, I tried Vintage,.....nothing was ever right or felt right.

You know what feels and sounds like a Les Paul? An actual Les Paul. It's just not worth the headaches dealing with the look alikes.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
get an amber/natural colored Epi.

Drop some A2 Zebra pups into it and slap some gold reflector knobs on it,..and enjoy your custom, kickass, Slash guitar.

:dude:

though :slash: isn't a LEFTY :naughty:

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
these are from Amazon, but you get the idea...

get this..
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-PlusTop-Electric/dp/B007AGZZTS]Amazon.com: Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul PlusTop PRO Electric Guitar Antique Natural: Musical Instruments[/ame]

install these...
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Duncan-Rodded-Humbucker-Pickup-Harness/dp/B00ROAVT40/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1421191607&sr=8-5&keywords=Zebra+style+guitar+pickups[/ame]

and put these on (make sure you get Metric size, unless you replace your pots with CTS/American sized ones.)...
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Style-Top-Guitar-Knobs/dp/B00G70TRII/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421191676&sr=8-2&keywords=Gold+reflector+les+paul]Amazon.com: Gibson Style Top Hat Guitar Knobs - Gold/Silver (Set of 4): Musical Instruments[/ame]

..and rock out. Rock hard.

And feel good knowing you're playing an actual Les Paul. :dude:

Ramsayjim

Reaction score
Hi sounds like a bad experience with the afd..i tried one in my local store around a week ago and for the 255 gbp i was blown away with it to be honest..pickups sounded great..neck and general feel of the guitar was great..id say try n find anothe before making your opinion final..also vintage do serial their guitars..

Apocalyptic

Reaction score
Hi thanks very much Paruwi. (i did realise after posting it might fair better in here! :doh:)
@jay1williams good to hear. Never owned an epi. I had them down as a poor quality copy before i started really researching guitars(maybe they were back in the day!) but it seems they have a quality reputation these days. I wouldn't expect many flaws to get through QC with bigger names like epi and ibanez etc. i have a grg170 ibanez which has superb build and finish for a sub £200 guitar. Guess vintage are a bit slack with the QC it seems. Im not really a tone chaser, i have maybe 3 sounds i like to play and thats it really. Not really experienced enough to tell a big difference between pups. As long as the pickups are doing there job, responsive higher up the neck il be happy.
I was wanting a cherry burst ideally to mix things up (already own black guitars) but seems the only option in a lefty is now the plus top pro for around another £100. Im not sure on the major difference from the standard, seems better pups and coil tapping? Im after best bang for buck and the ebony for 249 seems a great deal. Not sure the plus top pro offers me anything more that i will need other than the prefered finish. Im going to have a look at the ebony tomorrow so il be sure to report back if i go ahead and buy

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from a fellow lefty. I own that guitar.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epi...ole-epi-electric-my-collection-heres-why.html

DSCN2642_zps9d1f7d48.jpg

A good price at 249 with free setup.

Do it.

A G-400 is also a nice guitar, but the LP is a little bit better!

Rock on!

BTW:

You can expect some high frets near the 17th fret. (normal on these guitars). You might also have a high spot between the 7th and 9th fret on the E/A strings. Check the guitar carefully after the setup. These guitars are also great for modifying later if you want to customize it.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
dang, forgot the Lefty part.

Yeah not seeing any Amber/Natural Leftys,...plenty of Cherryburst and Ebony though.

must be frustrating, keep searching specifically for left handed models and it keeps returning right handed results.

Roman4405

Reaction score
Mal, didn't Vintage offer your some kind of sponsorship dealy-thing? Next thing I knew you had an R8, I thought you hit the big time.

And yeah, OP, get an Epi. People like to dismiss them as cheap guitars but if you don't mind a funky shaped headstock they make some great guitars.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
must be frustrating, keep searching specifically for left handed models and it keeps returning right handed results.

that is my world, Malikon. :laugh2:

That deal at the local shop for 249 is good. He can probably even talk the guy down a bit based on how long that lefty has been sitting there.

Apocalyptic

Reaction score
Many thanks for all the replies guys. MALIKON , yes unfortunately its generally black, black, or black, or cherry for us lefties! :(
Ramsayjim, i have spotted one for 255 but its a couple hours away so again would be mail order. Im itching to get a good one though, i couldnt stop looking at it, really stunning and it played well apart from some minor fret buzz on the low E. Did sound a little richer and better quality than my other budget stuff but im only playing thru a Vamp2 at the moment.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Mal, didn't Vintage offer your some kind of sponsorship dealy-thing? Next thing I knew you had an R8, I thought you hit the big time.

And yeah, OP, get an Epi. People like to dismiss them as cheap guitars but if you don't mind a funky shaped headstock they make some great guitars.

Yeah for one year, that contract ended about a year ago and I didn't re-up.

I made them the song/video and that was about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjAbnMQly9U

They are not bad guitars, I just found ones I liked better.

Apocalyptic

Reaction score
@The_Sentry thanks for the insight. Interesting read on your link. The £249 seems like a cracking deal to me especially being local, i can try it and have it setup with choice of strings etc. I might go for it and add a v100afd when i get over the dissapointment of my first one!! I was trying to whittle the amount of guitars down instead im adding to them.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
@The_Sentry thanks for the insight. Interesting read on your link. The £249 seems like a cracking deal to me especially being local, i can try it and have it setup with choice of strings etc. I might go for it and add a v100afd when i get over the dissapointment of my first one!! I was trying to whittle the amount of guitars down instead im adding to them.

The bonus of a local buy:

If something goes wrong with the guitar you can take it back to him and have it fixed. :) Rock on!

Apocalyptic

Reaction score
The bonus of a local buy:

If something goes wrong with the guitar you can take it back to him and have it fixed. :) Rock on!

very true! Always prefer this way with personal things such as guitars, however the flippin internet is such a temptress:hmm:
think i'd be foolish not to give this epi a whirl for the price. Il just have to steer myself away from the bursts...

The_Sentry

Reaction score
very true! Always prefer this way with personal things such as guitars, however the flippin internet is such a temptress:hmm:
think i'd be foolish not to give this epi a whirl for the price. Il just have to steer myself away from the bursts...

that won't be too hard. They kinda look plastic-y in person. :laugh2:

The_Sentry

Reaction score

As far as the lefties go?

This is based on personal experience...

this is my old EP LP plus. I sold it a few years back...

DSCN1456.jpg

With some Phat Cats...

DSCN1792.jpg

The HBC finish looks like plastic. He's better off with the black. Otherwise, he'll be tempted to take sandpaper to his poor guitar! :laugh2:

Latest Threads