USS Fort Worth, not enough gear oil!

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Member
Reaction score
"The ship faces $23 million in repairs and maintenance. The Commanding officer was relieved of duty in March; new chief has taken over."

The maintence crew did not sufficiently lube essential gear mechanism. The USN called it “an engineering casualty.”:D
With a yearly military budget of about $600,000,000,000 that still leaves $599,977,000,000 for 2016 :dunno:

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
The LCS (the fleet calls 'em "little crappy ships") have been a disaster right from the start. This casualty is very likely down to the absurd "minimal manning" concept which gives them crews too small to perform even basic preventive maintenance;* the idea was to "save money." (Yeah, because having the work done by civilian yardbirds will save money....)

Add to this the nitwit decision a few years ago to scrap all the destroyer tenders, whose very function was to handle the maintenance and repair of small ships without having to bring them all the way home.

*Or to perform damage control; the procedure if they take a hit is "an orderly abandon ship." They don't even bother to shock-test them, a standard part of Navy acceptance trials.

mtgguitar

Reaction score
The LCS (the fleet calls 'em "little crappy ships") have been a disaster right from the start. This casualty is very likely down to the absurd "minimal manning" concept which gives them crews too small to perform even basic preventive maintenance;* the idea was to "save money." (Yeah, because having the work done by civilian yardbirds will save money....)

Add to this the nitwit decision a few years ago to scrap all the destroyer tenders, whose very function was to handle the maintenance and repair of small ships without having to bring them all the way home.

*Or to perform damage control; the procedure if they take a hit is "an orderly abandon ship." They don't even bother to shock-test them, a standard part of Navy acceptance trials.
Now I understand.:)

THDNUT

Reaction score
What's a matta? Some one don't know how to read a dip stick?

THDNUT

Reaction score

That would make a nice yacht for the person who has everything.

lunchbox

Reaction score
Needs a g-force auto luber, a cool holographic image of George Wahington, US Navy scribbled down the side, a wider deck and adjustable nuts.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you'd think they'd make these things self lubing?

I mean, if women could figure it out.........

pwhite

Reaction score
whoops someone gun-decked their PMS card.

My Les Paul Classifieds