Using whiskey as a base for dye

ejendres

Reaction score
I'm trying to get an amber colored stain and I'm wondering if dissolving yellow aniline dye into whiskey might get me better results than my current yellow/red combo. Thoughts? Has anyone tried this?

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to get an amber colored stain and I'm wondering if dissolving yellow aniline dye into whiskey might get me better results than my current yellow/red combo. Thoughts? Has anyone tried this?
Well, if it doesn't work you can just drink the rest and forget about how nasty the guitar looks for a few hours ;)

ejendres

Reaction score
Well, if it doesn't work you can just drink the rest and forget about how nasty the guitar looks for a few hours ;)
lol, too true.

I'm a little bummed, my pop recently burned all his scrap and I have been working at his shop on this build. So all my scrap ash is gone. I guess I could test it on a pickup pocket.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Seeing as nitro is easily damaged by alcohol, I think this might not work too well.
Most wood dyes are mixed with alcohol. As long as it's completely dry (all of the chemicals gassed-off), it's fine.

Ripthorn

Reaction score
The typical carriers of denatured alcohol or everclear are extremely pure, much more so than whiskey. My expectation is that you would have problems with dissolution and it would not yield the expected results.

ejendres

Reaction score
The typical carriers of denatured alcohol or everclear are extremely pure, much more so than whiskey. My expectation is that you would have problems with dissolution and it would not yield the expected results.
I was thinking about that. I was considering just mixing in some whiskey to my amber denatured based dye.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about that. I was considering just mixing in some whiskey to my amber denatured based dye.
Are you sure you aren't just liking the idea of having whiskey in your finish?

I can't think of any other reason to use it given all the existing alternatives that are well known to work. The color of the whiskey isn't concentrated enough to make any huge contribution when compared with dyes and stains

Last edited:

charisjapan

Reaction score
Are you sure you aren't just liking the idea of having whiskey in your finish?
Well, there IS a Bourbon Burst ;).

Honestly, I think it sounds cool enough to give it a try, even though the whiskey itself will probably lend little to the color ... and even if it did, would probably fade.

Here in Japan, a traditional stain is persimmon, and many antique furniture, boxes and even musical instruments used it. But the modern woodworkers admit that it fades real fast ... and that all the nice colors are simply because the stuff is old.

"Give me whiskey, whiskey, whiskey, it makes me feel so frisky!" (song we sang on road trips as a kid, but I was too young to drink :( Pretty sure this was before the acid and grass versions :eek:)