Using an extension cab with my deluxe reverb

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I don't know if Fender will give you a solid answer, now that you've used someone else's OT. But who knows? They might...

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Doh! I missed that part about the changed OT. Need better glasses.

Duane24

Reaction score
Appreciate all the help guys. I suppose I'll just run the cab only tonight just so I push more air.

I believe all of you with the whole deal of the old ones being able to handle a 4ohm load, but even if this was an original, that would scare the crap out of me since it goes against ohms 101 and everything you've ever read! Plus if it was an original, I'd have way more $$$ sunk into it!

Six Gun

Reaction score
Remember you guys, if you have a 2nd combo amp with a nice speaker in it, you can put them both side by side and simply run a jumper speaker cable from the disconnected speaker on the 2nd amp and run it to your Ext. Speaker Jack.

I do this sometimes with my Princeton Reverb w/12" Celestion G12H30 and Jump it to my 1965 Deluxe Reverb with the Celestion Gold. My Princeton Reverb is in a JD Newell Tall-Box Princeton Reverb Cab w/12" Baffle. And I do the same with the PR, I will use the Gold from the DR as the PR Ext. Speaker. I made a Speaker Jack Cable Extension Cord w/ Male & Female 1/4" Jacks on the 6 Foot Cord.

speakergold.jpg

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The old Fender transformers could handle the currents and voltages... they were designed to handle a 2 to 1 mismatch (which in THOSE days meant they could really handle even more probably).

Now, you really have to read and pay attention to the owners manuals (or else).

But besides changing to entirely different speakers or a different output transformer there is another way. Several companies make an "outboard" impedance matching converter that goes in between the amp output jack and the speaker(s).
I can't remember the names, and didn't bookmark them. But they are basically a box with a transformer inside. At the power level of a Deluxe, you would have no problem.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
That's very cool that there are 2.6&5.3 taps!
If I had a bunch of heads and cabs, I'd have one or more of these, without a doubt.

Latest Threads