Using a strap without strap locks?

Epi rocks

Reaction score
If you value and love your LP then, for her sake, install straplocks ASAP. Don't risk it.
Don't delay and have something dreadful occur to your precious and then, kick yourself for being so silly and undecided.
I dropped one of my Gibby's years ago (SG). (My heart must've stopped for a few beats). Thankfully, no damage. Lesson learnt!!

They can easily be removed without affecting the value or originality of your lovely guitar.

I put a set of locks on my brandspankin' new LP Standard before I did anything else.

img1013ls.jpg

I straplocked every single electric guitar I have. Such a small investment for peace of mind. :cool2:

nick1962

Reaction score
Another vote for rubber washers over the strap, but I found a 10 pack at Home Depot so I did the 3 guitars I usually keep out and have spares left over.

The problem for me with straplocks is they are not universal which limits their appeal to buyers.

Some time a ago I saw the perfect answer to this problem but it seems the company was under capitalized and could not get enough exposure to get their product widely known. It was basically a straplock strap -- not the ones with the shitty plastic clips to ruin the guitars finish. These looked like a normal strap but had a thin but durable spring loaded plastic latch enclosed inside the strap. It would take a close inspection to tell it was anything other that a normal strap but to put it on, you had to slide the latch to allow it to fit over the button on the guitar. When you released the slide the button fit into a groove in the slide and the strap would not come off without first sliding the latch open against the spring tension. Very clever, functional, required no mods to the guitar, didn't have exposed parts that could damage the guitar and they were no more expensive than some of the standard straps you see in every Guitar Center.

Planet Waves do this - I have one on my Custom Lite-very reliable

defcrew

Reaction score
royalfamily097.jpg

For years I just used a reg old metal washer over the strap button on this Tele and never removed the strap. For some reason, Telecasters just seem like they are meant to be abused anyway. Have locks on some of my LPs and not others. The main one I play out I use a thick leather strap as the guy above mentions. The only problem is that it unwittingly unscrews the strap button screw over time so you have to check it now and again. All depends on how much you jump about, I suppose.

In the early 70s when I was 15 or 16 a guy brought a LP Deluxe for me from somewhere in VA where his fam had gone on vaction and they were on sale. I gave $350 of my hard earned Teen Bucks for it. It was a "2" as there was a scratch under the finish on the body. Tobacco burst that looks just like the one on the front of Get Yer Ya Yas Out. Anyway, it comes with a black leather strap. So, I'm standing there with the guitar I have owned officially for about ten minutes with my arms resting on the top of it and it pops off and smashes straight to the floor like I almost halfway threw it. Nearly swallowed our tongues. No damage done but that guitar probably knew right then that it wasn't ever going to be a case queen. Still have it!
nft096.jpg

YoshiJimbo

Reaction score
I picked up a set of strap buttons from my local GC. They are very similar in style to a Les Paul's. Just bigger on the ends.

River

Reaction score
I picked up a set of strap buttons from my local GC. They are very similar in style to a Les Paul's. Just bigger on the ends.
Be careful. My Tele has vintage-spec buttons that flare much more widely than those on a Gibson. I thought I was safe. Warming up at a gig, I leaned over to re-route a cable so I wouldn't trip over it. Suddenly, I felt nine pounds lighter. Luckily I recognized why without having to think and caught the guitar. The lower end of the strap had let go.

I'll never trust big buttons again, but I still trust the Grolsch washers (obviously).

Sournote

Reaction score
Lock-It Guitar Straps - Home

They look pretty good....

My local mom and pop just picked these up - Problem is I like my current straps, so beer washers it is.

That's them.

Though, at this point I'm like you and like my current straps so, I'll likely stick with washers and try to be careful. I "only" have Studio's but no one wants to see their axe hit the floor.

Dagumol

Reaction score
Something I have done to every guitar or bass I have ever owned; I remove the strap knob. Insert a fender washer into it then the strap and screw it back into the guitar. Instant strap locks that cannot slip and costs about $0.12. Some strap knobs are a littel bigger than others so sometimes I have to clamp the washers and drill out the hole in the middle a little bit and smooth it out with a fine rat tail file.

Dagumol

Reaction score
Something I have done to every guitar or bass I have ever owned; I remove the strap knob. Insert a fender washer into it then the strap and screw it back into the guitar. Instant strap locks that cannot slip and costs about $0.12. Some strap knobs are a littel bigger than others so sometimes I have to clamp the washers and drill out the hole in the middle a little bit and smooth it out with a fine rat tail file.

Forgot to mention that I also pilot out the holes in the guitar bodies and use a little beefier, course wood screw. Those fine threaded ones that come factory installed make me nervous.

Never had one fall on me. *knocks on wood*

Kezman

Reaction score
I usually change the shitty Gibson strap buttons for Fender ones - then use Grolsch rubber washers. And I never remove my straps.

Do you use a stand or put your guitar back in the case with the strap on?

Lurko

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I also pilot out the holes in the guitar bodies and use a little beefier, course wood screw. Those fine threaded ones that come factory installed make me nervous.

Never had one fall on me. *knocks on wood*

I have! I was gigging with my '60s Tribute and using the Dunlop strap locks posted earlier (the nylon clips). The clip stayed put, but the screw came sliding out of the wood mid song. Thank god I was fretting a chord and had my hands on the neck at the time!!!!

Toothpicks, Elmer's glue, and some serious test-yanking were the order of the day the next morning. :shock:

Yes I said "test-yanking." :cool:

PJV

Banned
Reaction score
I take two 1965 quarters (year I was born) and drill holes in the middle of them. (Washers will work as well)
Then I get a slightly longer screw and just use the quarter like a washer and put it on top of the strap button. Been doing this for decades and never had a problem.
I use the quarters instead of washers simply because it looks cool. That and the first time I thought of it I had no washers and no ride to town. But I did have two quarters and a drill! lol

rlconklin

Reaction score
I use the Planet Wave straps with the locking mechanism build right into the strap. Works great and never failed me yet. No modifying the guitar and you have a strap lock that works as well as anything made by the other manufacturers.

Planet Waves : Planet Lock Straps

nutsauce

Reaction score
Grolsch beer-bottle washers.

6850738144_65f2c61f23_c.jpg

How reliable they are is self-evident by the photo.

Man, I've been looking all over for these. All the Grolsch I find have metal caps...damn North Carolina!!

Slick Willy

Reaction score
I once played with a dude that removed his original strap buttons and had his strap screwed to his guitar. Over sized screws, crazy as hell, but hey I never seen it hit the floor. Buy some original straploks from Jim Dunlop and forget about it. If you sell it the next guy will be happy to have em'.

Gemm

Reaction score
Grolsch beer-bottle washers.

6850738144_65f2c61f23_c.jpg

How reliable they are is self-evident by the photo.

I thought I might check this out as well. The one I could find is :

24.5mm outside diameter
8mm centre hole
3mm thick

Does it sound about right? (or should I just buy the beer?? :hmm:)

noNameUsername

Reaction score
Those dunlop things work great! Really reliable, and can take them off whenever.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
I have Schallers and Dunlop. They both do the job.
But the Dunlops, I don't know that I'd be able to get the part off the strap.

Latest Threads