So straplocks that aren't straplocks really are straplocks ... hmm :hmm:

MikeStevens

Reaction score
ducttape.jpeg

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Never used straplocks since I first started gigging in 1969. But then, I don't jump around like a demented loony...! :naughty: :D :dude:

michaelinokc

Reaction score
I probably have no need for strap locks, as I almost always play at home, and am seated most of the time. I installed them anyway, to add some security and so I don't have to have a strap for each guitar. I spend a lot of money on my nice toys and would like to keep them that way, if possible.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I never used straplocks for the longest time and never had an issue - although there have been a couple of close calls when my strap slipped off the rear button.

Over the past couple of years I've been using the Grolsch method and it has worked really well. The only issue I've found with this is for someone like me who likes to play with a shorter strap (I keep the guitar fairly high on my body) I feel that I have to constantly 'climb' in and out of the guitar.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Strap locks will depreciate your guitar way less than a headstock repair. Just saying. Lots a people don't use them but accidents happen. That's why they're called accidents.

michaelinokc

Reaction score
Who needs straplocks. This guy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Tat0E1BCw]Epic Guitar Spin Fail! - Have You Seen This Boy - YouTube[/ame]

Fuelish

Reaction score
they work pretty good:thumb:
They work VERY good....all I use on my guits... as long as the screws are solidly into the body (as they should be, whether using straplocks or not), then the Grolsch washers provide very good strap security. They may not look flash, but they just plain work...and that works for me :cool:

Steinmetzify

Reaction score
I use this on all my guitars, never had a problem yet.

Dunlop Dual-Design Straplok System | GuitarCenter

Seriously, keeping your guitar original is one thing, but when you spend upwards of $1500 on an axe, do everything you can to avoid dropping it...all they are is strap buttons. Keep the originals in the case pocket and if/when you need to sell you'll have them. All it is is unscrewing one button and screwing another on. It's that simple, and they look almost exactly the same.

Sournote

Reaction score
Another vote for rubber washers over the strap, but I found a 10 pack at Home Depot so I did the 3 guitars I usually keep out and have spares left over.

The problem for me with straplocks is they are not universal which limits their appeal to buyers.

Some time a ago I saw the perfect answer to this problem but it seems the company was under capitalized and could not get enough exposure to get their product widely known. It was basically a straplock strap -- not the ones with the shitty plastic clips to ruin the guitars finish. These looked like a normal strap but had a thin but durable spring loaded plastic latch enclosed inside the strap. It would take a close inspection to tell it was anything other that a normal strap but to put it on, you had to slide the latch to allow it to fit over the button on the guitar. When you released the slide the button fit into a groove in the slide and the strap would not come off without first sliding the latch open against the spring tension. Very clever, functional, required no mods to the guitar, didn't have exposed parts that could damage the guitar and they were no more expensive than some of the standard straps you see in every Guitar Center.

P-90GoldTop

Reaction score
Another vote for the Grolsch washers. Available at most home brew stores.

chef

Reaction score
Another vote for rubber washers over the strap, but I found a 10 pack at Home Depot so I did the 3 guitars I usually keep out and have spares left over.

The problem for me with straplocks is they are not universal which limits their appeal to buyers.

Some time a ago I saw the perfect answer to this problem but it seems the company was under capitalized and could not get enough exposure to get their product widely known. It was basically a straplock strap -- not the ones with the shitty plastic clips to ruin the guitars finish. These looked like a normal strap but had a thin but durable spring loaded plastic latch enclosed inside the strap. It would take a close inspection to tell it was anything other that a normal strap but to put it on, you had to slide the latch to allow it to fit over the button on the guitar. When you released the slide the button fit into a groove in the slide and the strap would not come off without first sliding the latch open against the spring tension. Very clever, functional, required no mods to the guitar, didn't have exposed parts that could damage the guitar and they were no more expensive than some of the standard straps you see in every Guitar Center.

Lock-It Guitar Straps - Home

They look pretty good....

My local mom and pop just picked these up - Problem is I like my current straps, so beer washers it is.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Usually in life, the simplest solution is the best.

That said, Grolsch washers.

I've been using them forever on all my guitars. I color them with Sharpies to match the color of the strap.

nauc

Reaction score
if you drop your LP, and it breaks, are you not going to fix it?

because if you do fix it, it wont be original anymore :wave:

anyway, id use the beer bottle trick, if nothing else

Latest Threads