Using a strap without strap locks?

Forty6and2

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just curious if there is any way to use a strap without using strap locks? I have a studio that I use my strap locks with but I don't really want to install strap locks on my Classic Custom because I wan't to keep it 100% original. But it sketched me out to use a strap without strap locks. Especially on a higher end Gibson...

River

Reaction score
Grolsch beer-bottle washers.

6850738144_65f2c61f23_c.jpg

How reliable they are is self-evident by the photo.

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
I've never once used strap locks. That's 16 years playing live without strap locks. I need to get some soon though, because I have a feeling my luck is running out..

jrnic

Reaction score
It's a clip that you put on the strap button after the strap is on the guitar. You then twist the top part of the plastic and it locks around the strap button and prevents the strap from coming off. They are like a few bucks for a pair.

Dunlop 7007SI Ergo Lok Strap System at zZounds

M.C.J.

Reaction score
I use thick, leather guitar straps on my les pauls (studio deluxe 60's and epi lp standard) without any incident.

I've used thinner guitar straps with my guitars and those do have a tendendy to slip out of the strap button.

I suggest you get yourself a thick guitar strap with an opening that is not too large at the top. Additionally, when you see your strap start to significantly wear out at the top, I'd suggest you get yourself another strap. Depending on how much you play, I'd say get a new strap at least every year and don't be cheap about it.

I have used those plastic dunlop strap locks that someone posted a pic of above. They work ok, provided that your not swinging your guitar around. I've also bought and used StewMac's version of those little plastic strap locks. In both cases, the little plastic piece that slides does sometimes have a tendendy to pop off, so don't go trusting those too much. They're not intended to last forever, so becareful.

nick1962

Reaction score
I usually change the shitty Gibson strap buttons for Fender ones - then use Grolsch rubber washers. And I never remove my straps.

Brutalisateur

Reaction score
I don't really want to install strap locks on my Classic Custom because I wan't to keep it 100% original.

NO ONE will care that you replaced the strap buttons. So go buy another set of straplocks and put that on your classic custom.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
NO ONE will care that you replaced the strap buttons. So go buy another set of straplocks and put that on your classic custom.

This. Unless you're talking about a nice vintage guitar, no one will care. Adding straplocks is pretty much the only improvement guitarists universally agree on. And there are a number of non permanent solutions out there that you can pick up for a few dollars.

michael2003x

Reaction score
Straplocks look nasty imo I have Dunlops on my Standard (factory fitted) and they are way too complicated in design and look totally stupid...grolsch washers all the way.:applause:

mertzy

Reaction score
Here's Joe Bonomassa's answer to that when asked what he does with his Burst:

Ok, maybe a silly question: does one (as a keeper of a burst or two) swap out strap locks for buttons for the road?

Well.... There is a trick or two for that.. I don't believe in drilling into any burst... I use the simple ancient method of the Grolsch beer bottle rubber grommets. I don't drink beer but my crew loves it.. Keeps me in full supply while we are in Euro Disney.. Charlie.. Killer photos!!!
You gotta send them to me..
Thanks again
Joe B

Latest Threads