Using a noise gate in the loop and in "front" of amp??

dealmaker

Reaction score
So on both my boards the noise gates I have (MXR Noise Clamp and Boss NS2) have both "input/Output" jacks as well as "send/return" jacks.

Traditionally I have always used the Noise Gates at the start of the loop signal chain - and simply use the input/output.

On both my boards I separate my wah/distortion/pitch effects at the front of the amp - going to the pre-amp - and then all modulation effects in the loop. (with the noise gate)

I saw a band the other night and the guitarist had all 4 of the jacks on his Noise Gate connected - I had a quick look and from what I could tell it seemed like the Noise gate was part of the chain in the "front" of the amp - but was also connected as part of the send/return of the loop??

I'd always assumed it had to be one or the other - and not both - as I'd assumed you would get some sort of crossover between the two?? Is that right?...or can I put both the distortion/pre-amp as well as the loop through the noise gate????

Opinions please (don't want to pull all my boards apart without at least establishing I'm on the right track!)

Thanks!

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
There are several approaches, all of which work, depends on your needs. That guy probably had a Boss NS-2 or a ISP Decimator G-string...something with a loop. See pic.

ns2.png

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
The above approach quiets the amp and pedal chain. For the record, I don't do that, I just send everything in front of the amp because I run all my pedals directly into it.

Batman

Reaction score
I've run my NS2 both ways and the "X" pattern is noticeably quieter.

I run my signal path as follows;

Wah --> Compressor --> NS2 Input --> NS2 Send --> OD --> Distortion --> Boost --> Amp Input --> FX Send --> NS2 Return --> Chorus --> Flanger --> Delay --> Delay --> Reverb/Tremolo --> FX Return

This puts all of my dirt plus the pre-amp in the NS2's loop and results in pretty near dead quiet even with P-90's and high(ish) gain. None of my modulation, delay or reverb are effected by the gate so the trails decay naturally.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
I also put my tuner into the chain with the noise gate and not the effects.

Batman

Reaction score
I also put my tuner into the chain with the noise gate and not the effects.

Yeah, I forgot my Volume Pedal and Tuner in my above description. . .

The VP is after my Boost/before the Amp input and the Tuner is run off the VP.

CodeMonk

Reaction score
I have the ISP G-String.
I put it in front of the amp with my dirt pedals in the G-String's loop.

Stuff

Reaction score
I'd always assumed it had to be one or the other - and not both - as I'd assumed you would get some sort of crossover between the two?? Is that right?...or can I put both the distortion/pre-amp as well as the loop through the noise gate????

The first part of the noise gate circuit monitors your guitar signal, and knows when you start and stop playing. The second part of the circuit uses that knowledge to help with cutting the signal from the preamp.

It's really great for taming noisy preamps :)

Gear like the rack-mounted ISP Decimator also has separate threshold controls for your guitar and FX loop, so that you can dial in the sweet spot that suits your playing style and gear. I love mine - it's the one piece of gear that I'd never even think about selling.

mourguitars

Reaction score
Rocktron just came out with a Hush X 2 pedal at NAMM.....one for the pedals out front and the other for the pedals in the loop....Looks pretty cool !....Mike

ehamady6

Reaction score
I run my NS-2 in front of my amp and near the end of my pedal chain. The only pedal I have after the NS-2 is my delay so none of the repeats are choked off. I have 14 pedals on my board and it's very quiet.

Latest Threads