Using a left handed neck on a reverse stagger Strat....?

Nick-O

Reaction score
I have the reversed bridge pickup on this MJT body.
I was looking at necks and saw a lefty with good specs and price.
But I'm thinking that would defeat having the reversed bridge pickup....right?

YlpGGdS.jpg

strayedstrater

Reaction score
The only thing that would defeat the reverse angle bridge pup would be to string the guitar lefty (wound strings near the controls).

Fender has done several Hendrix Strats. Several were reverse angle bridge and lefty neck on righty body.

Putting a lefty neck on yours will get the closest Hendrix feel/tone you can get short of taking a lefty guitar, flipping it over and stringing it righty.

One possible issue with a real lefty neck is the side dots will be on the wrong side. For me, I use the side dots more than the fretboard inlays. I had a guitar with low-contrast side dots that I occasionally got lost on while playing on dim stages.

But that's the only minor problem with putting a lefty neck on a righty guitar.

smk506

Reaction score
My ideal sss strat (in theory) has a reversed pickup with a regular headstock. I want the bass strings tightened up and less chance of an ice pickey bridge tonally so that’s what I’d shoot for.

Never hurts to try new things though if the price is agreeable. I’m having a Gibson scale conversion neck made for my strat. Will I love it? Probably, it’s getting made by LtDave so it’ll be high quality with a personalized back profile that should ooze comfort. If it turns out I don’t love it (I’m not much of a strat guy in general) I’ll pass it on to someone here and make my money back. No brainer to at least try imo.

Nick-O

Reaction score
My ideal sss strat (in theory) has a reversed pickup with a regular headstock. I want the bass strings tightened up and less chance of an ice pickey bridge tonally so that’s what I’d shoot for.

Never hurts to try new things though if the price is agreeable. I’m having a Gibson scale conversion neck made for my strat. Will I love it? Probably, it’s getting made by LtDave so it’ll be high quality with a personalized back profile that should ooze comfort. If it turns out I don’t love it (I’m not much of a strat guy in general) I’ll pass it on to someone here and make my money back. No brainer to at least try imo.

This was my understanding of the reverse stagger. String tension etc.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
@Nick-O ,
I don't think the lefty neck will in any way defeat the reversed angle pickup. I believe it will simply be another piece of what you seem to be aiming to accomplish! From all I read and surmise, the reversed neck affects the feel more than the sound. Of course, using a righty guitar won't get that "resonant" cavity of the control rout near the bass strings. Some folks believe that is a crucial, key aspect for what you're doing, but I'm not one of those folks!

If you haven't already tried it, just wait until you try that reversed position wiggle stick. You can do some pretty cool stuff that a normal wiggle stick can only dream of!

Pics and opinions/reviews of the finished project are a MUST!

Just Remindin'
Gene

JPummil

Reaction score
I've got a MIM Strat I picked up around 2007 that I really like with reverse headstock and reverse slant bridge pickup (currently a DiMarzio SD). It was one of those situations where it just called out to me when I walked in to Guitar Center...
Guitars2.jpg

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No impact on the tone.
The feel of the strings when bending will be slightly changed, but not significantly... the treble strings will feel a bit harder to bend, but will also more readily change pitch... it's counterintuitive, but it is 95% theoretical and you likely won't feel the difference.

The position of the pole pieces in relation to the harmonic nodes will be what it will be, and that was a part of Jimi's tone.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I think there is some terminology confusion between a reverse angle pickup, a reverse pole piece stagger on that pickup, and a reverse headstock.

“Reverse polepiece stagger” among just Strat pickup discussions gets further confused because there is / was no one standard stagger for all periods, and today no standard among models, brands, etc. Dates used in replica model names don’t often reflect anything accurate to that year, just an “artistic interpretation” if that.

If you reverse some “vintage” stagger Strat polepiece stagger, you can have something similar to a normal “modern” stagger but with a low A so if you’re buying a current Strat pickup but wanting a reverse stagger to cop Hendrix, you’re going to have to be fairly specific about the pole piece heights you want on each string or you could get a mess. The terms just don’t mean the same thing to everyone, unfortunately.

If your body is routed to accommodate a humbucker in the bridge, you can usually get away with just rotating the pickup 180 degrees in the route to reverse the pole piece stagger, if that ends up getting you what you want.

Pole piece stagger is kinda a nightmare, bth. Vintage Fenders have a big handful of options across models / years (I keep a spreadsheet) but modern options are basically endless and navigating the inconsistent terms and lack of actual measurements for a consumer is enough to drive a person to drink.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Cool project, btw! I got lost in my own confusing details and forgot to say I dig it and will do something similar on one of my future Strat builds (a lefty in all ways but the body / pickguard nut).

Latest Threads