Useless Advice in Forums - why?

martin H

Reaction score
Let me say upfront I'm not picking on this particular forum because I have found some very useful advice here, But.......

I do occasionally go looking for a solution to some technical or software problem on the web You'd think that a forum of people with similar interests might be a good place to get information.

Last night I went looking for information on how to integrate an external editor into Sonar X3 I eventually found it, but the amount extraneous crap posed on the issue was astounding. The way people interact on the web is just STRANGE.....

For example a Group of guys sitting in the same room

Q " I'm using Superaudio, and i'm wondering how to add eq to a channel "

A "I don't know," or "press the eq button on the track display"

By comparison, a Group of guys on a web forum

Q " I'm using Superaudio, and I'm wondering how to add eq to a channel "

A1 Why the hell are you using Superaudio? it sucks. If you used a real DAW like Wizz-bang, I could answer your question. Adding eq in wizz-bang is really easy.

A2 Why do you want to add eg to a channel? -It distorts phase relationships. You need to experiment with mic positions instead.

A3 if you don't now how to do something as simple as that, you shouldn't be using Superaudio. I suggest you get a 4-track cassette deck instead.

A4 I use Superaudio, and it's way better than Wizz-bang . Poster # 1 is an Idiot.

A5 It's a fallacy that eq distorts phase relationships.

A6 I'd suggest you read the manual before posting a question.

A7 It's going to sound like horrible digital audio whatever you do. My band used a 16-track analog machine to cut our demo, and its sounds great

A8 Have you tried re-formatting the hard drive , reloading windows and reloading Superaudio?

WHY??? WHY????

Howard2k

Reaction score
Why the hell are you using a Sonar X3, they're crap!

j/k.

Real life conversation is quick back and forth.
Answering a question on a forum you're slowly digesting and thinking about the original question as well as some/all of the follow up responses.

It's easy to over think things and/or attempt to go above and beyond with unsolicited advice since there's no time pressure. You're not mentally analyzing the question for 50 milliseconds and responding, you're taking as long as you need to compose your answer.

But I could be wrong.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The answer of course, lies in what you've got in bold type above.

Face to face, most folks are bound by decorum not to be asses.

Remove the face to face, add the safety of communicating from behind a console, and you get anything from mildly snarky to people morphing into werewolves.

DHBucker

Reaction score
I have found useful info on the web for fixing things and buying parts. I have been able to repair things around the house and save major $$ at times. I do agree that sometimes you have to wade through the bs much of the time. I have found that the right keywords when searching will cut to the chase most of the time. The bitch is finding them.

I get frustrated at the guitar tab sites because I look at some of the stuff and it's REALLY WRONG most of the time. Then I'll try and find a video of an artist playing the song to see what key it's in and chord voicings in the end...

Sinster

Reaction score
What happens is those who responded at one time didn't know s**t either. They learned by asking questions on forums. Now they know how to do something and instead of helping out they have to whip out their e-penor's to let you know they have the knowledge or lack of knowledge. Are not willing to share or really don't have the answer to share.

dewie1975

Reaction score
This is the only forum I choose to be a member of. I find that aside from the occasional troll who like to "troll" and some seriously hijacked threads from time to time, you do tend to find the answers you're looking for and interact with some great folks from all walks of life.

I often feel bad because I don't assist others nearly as much as I get helped, but I've also got a lot to learn from some VERY experienced and knowledgeable folks here. I do like that the folks that blow smoke get called out quickly too lol!

six-string

Reaction score
i'm a fountain of useless advice....
although occasionally i do come up with something sensible.
mostly by accident.

Fracture

Reaction score
i'm a fountain of useless advice....
although occasionally i do come up with something sensible.
mostly by accident.

If you're the fountain, I'm the fire hydrant of tripe.

Let's see who claims the overflowing storm sewer title.

BluesRock

Reaction score
You should really post this question on a psychoanalysis forum.

I think there are various reasons for the difference in responses. For one, in a small group conversation, you are dealing with a small group. On a forum, with a larger pool of people you have a greater opportunity to come across those with poor reading comprehension who misunderstand the question and people who just like to be part of the conversation whether they have something constructive to contribute or not.

FWIW, I would have likely given you my first comment above if you were in the room with me, but you would have seen the smile on my face when I said it.

MooCheng

Reaction score
there has been times I've been given advice,
most of it unrepeatable

TheWGuitar

Reaction score
There are trolls and ass-hats everywhere on the internet. But it does seem like there are an overwhelming number of mature people here. And the ones that will claim that they aren't mature are still mature deep down, they just like to fvck with people and have a little fun :thumb:. I don't find myself doing an excessive amount of scrolling around crap posts.. Usually you'll see the first few words of a long paragraph and immediately identify it as a "dick post" and just skip it. Not a lot of that going on here at all.

You want the cesspool of the internet? Go to the comments section of your local youtube video. Holy sh_t. Constructive comments like "GAY." and "Kill yourself."
That is, if they can even read and write in their native language well enough to form a comment that you can understand.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of my desktop. :cool:

To the OP: Well, did this thread answer your question or just provide more useless advice?

gitfiddle-albums-misc-picture49396-myhomedesk-600-x-400.jpg

DHBucker

Reaction score
"I don't trust no one who don't take their own advice." Chris Robinson.

HeartString

>>>RSIYH<<<
Reaction score
Seriously though, the internet is accessible to everyone who can afford it. Everyone has either knowledge, conjecture, criticism and a myriad of other thoughts. Your job, when researching something, is to identify the most knowledgeable source.

Before you begin searching the internet. Think about what you want to get help with and then think about who you think would be an expert on the subject. For example, I wanted a Telecaster that was the way I wanted it. I thought about that and went straight to the Fender.com website. Who would know them better.

I made a list of the guitars that were close to what I wanted but none of them hit the mark so to speak. Then I searched ebay.com and looked through the auctions and read what they said with a broader range of years in the mix. Still nothing.

Came here and made a post with little response and remembered LTdave32 builds them and shot him a pm. So I found a solution, not by searching everyone's opinions in other forums whom I don't know, rather by reaching out for real information to professionals in their field of endeavor. It's the way we did it before the internet was born.

50WPLEXI

Reaction score
If I really, really need to know how/why something works I go to someone with real world knowledge. Searching for answers on the net will drive you crazy.

Latest Threads