Used prices are outrageous

XCrainX

Reaction score
Sellers are asking stupid prices but in my experience that's not what they are selling for. I've listed things for reasonable prices recently and will get lowballed hard.
That might actually be my problem just taking the list price seriously. I honestly don’t want to rob or low ball anyone I’m fine with paying a fair price as I wouldn’t want others trying to lowball my equipment were I to sell it , but I’m certainly not paying double or new price for something that is used either . I’ll try contacting a few sellers and see where that goes .

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Yep it’s crazy for a couple years unfortunately. I don’t see it improving. It makes flipping gear and trying things out much less fun. Choose wisely.

Also Paypal eBay and Reverb charge a kidney in fees now.
Yes - I have also noticed a drastic reduction in Gibson guitars listed on eBay. It seems ebay got too greedy and reached a saturation point. I don’t think they will ever be able to re-gain the market they once had.

Steven

Reaction score
Sellers are asking stupid prices but in my experience that's not what they are selling for. I've listed things for reasonable prices recently and will get lowballed hard.
Do you accept the lower offers ?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The prices are definitely better right now than before and right after X-Mas. A new guitar was hard to find and the used ones were priced super high as well. Prices have come down a bit now, you should be able to find something nice at a fair price. Just work with the seller, communicate with them honestly and see where it goes.

Last edited:

darkvoice

Reaction score
Do your research! Prices on reverb are not what they appear sometimes! Granted, some will not budge on their price and get a little bent out of shape if you ask for a better price. However, every now and then you find a person that is reasonable about their price. Recently purchased a guitar and VERY POLITELY asked if the seller would entertain a lower price. To my surprise he dropped the price $600. Yeah, there are deals out there you just have to look for them and act fast!
Well - yes, many sellers on Reverb allow for offers and often you can get nice discounts. When I list on Reverb my prices are negotiable.

darkvoice

Reaction score
The prices are definitely better right now than before and right after X-Mas. A new guitar was hard to find and the used ones were priced super high as well. Prices have come down a bit now, you should be able to find something nice at a fair price. Just work with the seller, communicate with them honestly and see where it goes.
It looks like I missed that announcement!

There are a few guitars I am interested in and been tracking them on various platforms. I do not see them getting cheaper, quite the opposite - I only see them going up in prices by about $400-500 since last fall. Everywhere I see guitars listed for higher prices every month and selling at hose prices.

mjross

Reaction score
Well - yes, many sellers on Reverb allow for offers and often you can get nice discounts. When I list on Reverb my prices are negotiable.
I’m the same! However, I’ve discovered that some don’t dig offers and get offended if you do. I‘ll take the heat, I ALWAYS ask, but that’s just me. And I don’t mind if they don’t respond, there‘s lots to choose from!

When I list I don’t include make offer. However, if someone wants to shoot me a REASONABLE offer, I’ll entertain it! Make offer tends to attract crazy lowball offers.

CyFan

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know man !! Over the past 4 years I’ve been ignoring the market focused on writing and getting this record off the ground , making connections. But seeing this and reading the fees that reverb is asking now blows my mind !! Again though people are crazy to be asking new prices on beat up used gear !
Well, no. People are not crazy to ask those prices because people are paying those prices. Supply and demand set the price.

XCrainX

Reaction score
no kidding!
I’ve previously spoken with him regarding this issue- obviously . he doesn’t keep guitars - he suggested a rental ( you can rent anything in LA ) buuuttttt regardless even if he did just happen to have a GLP just laying around in the studio I doubt it would be set up for my “ personal playing taste” and I highly ,HIGHLY doubt it would have “PRS” pickups installed ( because that’s exceedingly common right ??????) - he has multiple high end amps soooo thankfully I will not have to burden myself with dragging one of mine along for the trip .

Dolebludger

Reaction score
A few months ago I was interested in a new guitar with a street price of $850. Just as a player — will never have collectors value. But all retailers were out of stock. I looked for recent used, and found sellers were asking up to $1500 and always above new street. Why? How? Because new ones were unavailable. And this is still going on because many new guitar models remain unavailable. We are in a shortage market situation for all new product. As a result, the prices for all used stuff is very high. And this sucks.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest in investing in high quality flight case for your guitar rather than buying and then modifying a used guitar to take with you..... what happens if this “new” guitar has an accident?

If you have the money or better yet have the “producer” pay for a ticket for a seat on the plane next to you to take your guitar.

Last edited:

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Between taxes, money fees, listing site fees and shipping on an expensive guitar you’re looking at $300-400. The seller ms have to list for a lot higher to make up for it, even if they will take a lower offer.

decoy205

Reaction score
Can the producer hold the guitar at the studio while you’re out there?

Reaction score
If I were looking for an affordable LP that feels and sounds like an LP, I’d just get a current Tribute. I got mine for a bargain used, but then also stupidly let it go for a good deal (to the next buyer). Great guitar that was 100% LP, just no gloss or binding.

XCrainX

Reaction score
If I were looking for an affordable LP that feels and sounds like an LP, I’d just get a current Tribute. I got mine for a bargain used, but then also stupidly let it go for a good deal (to the next buyer). Great guitar that was 100% LP, just no gloss or binding.
I appreciate the civility and honest input my friend!!, I actually own a 2018 ( noweight relief, solid 1 piece back and a 60s neck.) I started having hand issues playing the thinner necks so I moved strictly to the 50s necks to ease this problem. the newer ones only come with 60s necks modern weight relief and sometimes 2 piece backs Yikes! I’ve actually been trying to hunt down a 50s necked tribute from years ago I can completely gut , but 1300-1800 bucks for a guitar that sold for 799-800 bucks uhhhhhh No.

Latest Threads