Used car suggestions?

PapaSquash

Reaction score
Well, it didn't total it, because I was only carrying liability on it. As far as the Camry goes, I've owned it since new and it's lived outside its entire life. The clear coat is starting to dull on the roof, it's been lightly hailed on a few times, misc scratches/scuffs, the driver's seat fabric is wearing through on the bolsters, weather stripping is failing, etc. It's tired and ugly, but it runs fine. Shopping houses now, so I'm keeping it until that's done, but it's time to update the daily driver at some point.
I'm a member of the "keep them until they die" school. My 04 Accord 4-cyl holds my personal record for the Minneapolis to Norman run so it's not afraid of highway running. Last week we did the OU round trip in the '05 Pilot with 246K that my insurance company totaled out 18 months ago. I'm taking it back down in a few weeks to move my daughter home for the summer. It's really liberating to drive something that's essentially free.

Of course if you want to get rid of the Camry, what do you want for it? I'm a fool for a road trip, where is it?

Having said all that, I'm a Honda fan boy but our Sienna went 245K before it got totaled and my wife's Lexus is stellar so Toyota is a very close second, so I vote Accord.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Camry, Accord, Mazda 6. Pick one; they are all great cars that should last many years and many miles.

nauc

Reaction score
i have a 99 Accord with 190,000 on it. random people keep asking if i wanna sell it. HELL NO!

its stick shift too :naughty:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used Toyota Avalon. Bigger than a Camry, totally fantastic car.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I'm a member of the "keep them until they die" school. My 04 Accord 4-cyl holds my personal record for the Minneapolis to Norman run so it's not afraid of highway running. Last week we did the OU round trip in the '05 Pilot with 246K that my insurance company totaled out 18 months ago. I'm taking it back down in a few weeks to move my daughter home for the summer. It's really liberating to drive something that's essentially free.

Of course if you want to get rid of the Camry, what do you want for it? I'm a fool for a road trip, where is it?

Having said all that, I'm a Honda fan boy but our Sienna went 245K before it got totaled and my wife's Lexus is stellar so Toyota is a very close second, so I vote Accord.
Lol, it's in Norman, OK...

Deftone

Reaction score
Wait if you can.

Used cars are hot right now as new cars are in short supply. Chip shortage.

My P.O.S. Ford Ranger has doubled in value since I bought it 3-4 years ago.

toymaker

Reaction score
Getting up there in age now - but a V6 Accord was amongst the most reliable modern car made of late.

Quit making them in what 2015?

Warranties are just manufacturers way of reassuring you their reputations are overstated in my opinion. A car is either well designed or it isn't. Any make has a fail ratio - some are just higher than other due to poor design.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
We had a monster, monster hail storm a couple weeks ago. 2"+ hail and 70mph winds.
Yeah, we just missed it. I heard they were shrink wrapping cars because they couldn't get glass fast enough to get them weather tight. Now I think maybe I should buy it for my daughter. Sounds like a serviceable college student car.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Yeah, we just missed it. I heard they were shrink wrapping cars because they couldn't get glass fast enough to get them weather tight. Now I think maybe I should buy it for my daughter. Sounds like a serviceable college student car.
Yeah, lucky to be driving my wife's car while the Camry sits under the carport with a cracked windshield. Safelite was booked three weeks out by midnight the night of the storm.

Honestly, this car needs tires and brakes and when the water pump goes, I understand that to be an engine-out job, it's so tight against the fender well. I think it'd be a foolish car for somebody to buy or put money into at this stage, but I'm hoping to get another 6-9 months out of it until we're done house shopping/buying/moving/selling.

05jrock

Reaction score
Korean cars have 10 year warranty that is transferrable. :dunno:

I got myself a Hyundai last year which has the 10 year warranty, its a pretty good car so far and so cheap to run

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck is in the shop for $7K worth of hail damage repair right now.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
Yeah, lucky to be driving my wife's car while the Camry sits under the carport with a cracked windshield. Safelite was booked three weeks out by midnight the night of the storm.

Honestly, this car needs tires and brakes and when the water pump goes, I understand that to be an engine-out job, it's so tight against the fender well. I think it'd be a foolish car for somebody to buy or put money into at this stage, but I'm hoping to get another 6-9 months out of it until we're done house shopping/buying/moving/selling.
That's the perfect time to walk away. Just before you get into the madness of chasing "sunk costs" and start throwing good money into something with no long term prospects.

jvin248

Reaction score

Toyota is more durable than Honda. Don't worry about 'the looks', vehicles are appliances.

Get the repairs done on the current vehicle, assuming the body isn't all rusted out, and continue driving it. Poke away some cash for when used vehicle prices fall again (about two years).

How are you for getting timely maintenance and repairs? If you do them on schedule then vehicles tend to last much longer than normal. Demographics play a big role in brands that last vs those that don't, often the downfall of domestic brands -- more of their owners abuse them than the imports just because of owner demographics (money) and getting repairs completed.

Spartom

Reaction score
Korean cars have 10 year warranty that is transferrable. :dunno:

I don't think Hyundai's is transferrable.

"Coverage applies to original owner only, effective with 2004 model year and newer model-year vehicles. "

I found this out when my son was buying a year-old Elantra. Luckily for him, the car had very low mileage and was being sold at a Hyundai dealer, so we got them to get it classified as certified pre-owned (why they didn't already is a mystery to me) which allowed them to transfer the 10/100 warranty.

Latest Threads