Used car suggestions?

kakerlak

Reaction score
Hail did in the 2007 Camry V6 I've had since new and I'm going to eventually be shopping a replacement. I've really not kept up with the last fifteen years of car models like I used to and can't shake the feeling I'm probably overlooking something.

My wife is disabled and I want something that'll be comfortable for her, so it needs to be at least as big as my Camry and I'd like it to be at least as quick, even if it's just as disconnected from the road. I'd also like it to be as reliable as the Camry has been -- virtually flawless in 15yrs/150k.

I love wagons, but would be happy with another sedan. Looking for something that can be had under 50k miles and under $20k -- model year less important.

Gotta be naturally aspirated V6/V8. I don't want to live with a buzzy four even if it's powerful, nor worry about turbos. I prefer RWD, but that's not a deal breaker. No SUVs, or taller wagons with black plastic fender flares. No CVTs.

Thinking about LS460s and Hyundai Equus and 5.0 Genesis. Also have a voice in my head, saying "buy the best low-miles V6 Accord you can find and be done with it." I haven't really liked the last few Camry refreshes, visually, so I probably will move away from getting another/newer one. I am always drawn to the underappreciated depreciation darlings, too.

Mopar and Mitsus are off the list based on past bad experiences and I feel like staying away from BMW/Mercedes/Audi/VW is probably smart, while I'm at it, although they're the ones making appealing larger wagons without any off-road pretentions.

shark

Reaction score
the Camry was/is a great car. you've been spoiled. sold my 2004 last year with 254k miles on it. Was finally starting to give me the check engine codes all the time from the rotted vacuum lines.

I went Infiniti for something different. I really like the Q I have as it has nicely done interiors and is easy to wash .

Good luck

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
I second the Honda Accord.....4 DOOR WITH 6 CYLINDERS......I just bought a 2019, 4 door Honda Civic with 2,900 miles from the Honda dealer. it is a great vehicle and the wife loves it.....so do I. It is very quick and powerful despite it only being a 4 cylinder motor.....I, like you, was concerned that the 4 cylinder would not be enough...SURPRISINGLY, it is quite up to speed....so to speak....The Honda Accord is a step up to begin with and the price reflects that.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Accord. My brother's has 300K miles on it and he still drives it every day.

Olds442

Reaction score
Looking for something that can be had under 50k miles and under $20k -- model year less important.
good luck with that.

how did hail total the car? if it's just dents, take the money and keep driving it. a buddy has a 04 camry he can't kill. hasn't changed the oil in a year. the car is indestructible.

E.T.

Reaction score
For reliability, another Toyota.

LocoTex

Reaction score
My 2000 Accord SE with 4 cylinders has 219,000 miles and runs like it did when new.

Bro KV

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Accord!!

We have had Odysseys and Civics for 20 years, they just last and last.

kakerlak

Reaction score
good luck with that.

how did hail total the car? if it's just dents, take the money and keep driving it. a buddy has a 04 camry he can't kill. hasn't changed the oil in a year. the car is indestructible.

Well, it didn't total it, because I was only carrying liability on it. As far as the Camry goes, I've owned it since new and it's lived outside its entire life. The clear coat is starting to dull on the roof, it's been lightly hailed on a few times, misc scratches/scuffs, the driver's seat fabric is wearing through on the bolsters, weather stripping is failing, etc. It's tired and ugly, but it runs fine. Shopping houses now, so I'm keeping it until that's done, but it's time to update the daily driver at some point.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
it sounds like you are in the same spot we were with the wifes 94 nissan sentra.ugly as hell but still reliable.we bought a 2018 honda civic coupe with CVT cause the wife cant drive stick.surprisingly nice car and sporty enough that i dont hate driving it.

Olds442

Reaction score

looks like you can get an accord with under 50k miles for under $20k. i wouldn't have guessed that.

good luck!

kakerlak

Reaction score

looks like you can get an accord with under 50k miles for under $20k. i wouldn't have guessed that.

good luck!
Yeah, there's plenty like 2013-15-ish V6 Accords under 35k mi in that like $18k range. Probably the smartest thing to buy. I'd probably rather have a 6-8yo car with 25-35k mi than a 2-3yo one with 55k, anyway.

Olds442

Reaction score
Yeah, there's plenty like 2013-15-ish V6 Accords under 35k mi in that like $18k range. Probably the smartest thing to buy. I'd probably rather have a 6-8yo car with 25-35k mi than a 2-3yo one with 55k, anyway.
i truly didn't think you could. but being that you can, i'd probably go that route.

i did have an acura RL once, it was invisible to officers, a real sleeper with big balls.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Korean cars have 10 year warranty that is transferrable. :dunno:

Latest Threads