Used 1991 Gibson Explorer - correct price ?

Maxardi99

Reaction score
Hello,
Here in italy I am looking for an used Gibson Explorer Ebony.
I found a 1991 for 1900 €. I attach the photos on the store website. The guitar seems to be in good shape, except for the headstock which has various cracks on the holes near the tuners. Probably who has change the original tuners with this loocking sperzel had tightened the ferrules too much. Also pickups i think is not original, because guitar mounts EMG 81/85.
Do you think it is an honest price?

IMG_2274-rotated.jpg
IMG_2276.jpg
IMG_2277-rotated.jpg
IMG_2277-rotated-600x800.jpg
IMG_2278.jpg
IMG_2279.jpg
IMG_2280.jpg
IMG_2282.jpg
IMG_2284.jpg

gitmohair

Reaction score
About 1600 GDP. You'd have a fair choice of the things over here in the UK for that by the looks of it (including new ones), so I'd say that one you're looking at is on the high side of reasonable.

Maxardi99

Reaction score
High side of reasonable means that Is a good/accettable price ?
About 1600 GDP. You'd have a fair choice of the things over here in the UK for that by the looks of it (including new ones), so I'd say that one you're looking at is on the high side of reasonable.

gitmohair

Reaction score
"Not unreasonable" as I see it, but I'm not in Italy. Over here you could get better for less, though not a huge amount less, so that price isn't "unacceptable" IMHO if it's one you really want. If you're not wedded to that particular one then if I were you (and obviously I'm not) then I'd shop around. Are they particularly rare in Italy?

Maxardi99

Reaction score
Not too much rare. At the Moment there are 6-7 Explorer used (for less 1500), mostly in northen Italy. One of these, a Gibson Explorer cherry Red 2017, near to me enough, but the owner told me that Is Just sold... The rest are another cherry Red but Is too far for me, an Explorer b-2 which i read a bad review about the quality so i reject, and an another Explorer Ebony (2003) but with damaged body, and also this Is too far. Last week i went to see a 1995 Explorer Ebony for 1400€ but the fretboard were in orrible conditions, extremly dry. The owner left Guitar under the sun.... So there are not many alternatives in this Moment. I could wait a better deal in used.

otherwise on the new model the models that might interest me are the 70s explorer or the antique Natural. But are not Ebony

Maxardi99

Reaction score
Not too much rare. At the Moment there are 6-7 Explorer used (for less 1500), mostly in northen Italy. One of these, a Gibson Explorer cherry Red 2017, near to me enough, but the owner told me that Is Just sold... The rest are another cherry Red but Is too far for me, an Explorer b-2 which i read a bad review about the quality so i reject, and an another Explorer Ebony (2003) but with damaged body. Last week i went to see a 1995 Explorer Ebony for 1400€ but the fretboard were in orrible conditions, extremly dry. The owner left Guitar under the sun.... So there are not many alternatives in this Moment. I could wait a better deal in used.

otherwise on the new model the models that might interest me are the 70s explorer or the antique Natural. But are not Ebony
The best for me Is the 70s Explorer in Ebony versione but is only for US

Latest Threads