USDOJ: Firearm Violence 1993-2011

Gooner

Reaction score
"CDC tracks statistics having to do with the death of human beings by various means, including by violence. This is what they have given as reasons for doing so in their 2009 report"

This program started in 2000, according to the post you quoted and has been providing these statistics since 2003.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
end The FreeZe On Gun ViOlence research
There are approximately 30,000 firearm-related homicides and suicides a year, a number large enough to make clear this is a public health crisis. But for years, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and other scientific agencies have been barred by Congress from using funds to “advocate or promote gun control,” and some members of Congress have claimed this prohibition also bans the CDC from conducting any research on the causes of gun violence. However, research on gun violence is not advocacy; it is critical public health research that gives all Americans information they need.
• Conduct research on the causes and prevention of gun violence, including links between video games, media images, and violence: The President is issuing a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control and scientific agencies to conduct research into the causes and prevention of gun violence. It is based on legal analysis that concludes such research is not prohibited by any appropriations language. The CDC will start immediately by assessing existing strategies for preventing gun violence and identifying the most pressing research questions, with the greatest potential public health impact. And the Administration is calling on Congress to provide $10 million for the CDC to conduct further research, including investigating the relationship between video games, media images, and violence.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/wh_now_is_the_time_full.pdf

Jan. 16, 2013. :hmm:

cherokee

Reaction score
Yeah, anything goes wrong, obviously it's Obama's fault.

Get the political bullshit out of here, it has nothing to do with "Obama and those damned liberals" as people like to say. This started long before Obama was the president.

No...just saying that he signed the executive order that over turned the law of the land, the law passed by congress taking away from the CDC all funding and telling them in a nutshell that guns have nothing to do with what you are here to do. Obama signing that EO and giving the CDC funding and the powers to start a new front on gun control....that front being that guns are just like any other disease.....you really need to read up a little on this and just what those folks think.

It has EVERYTHING to do with Obama and those damned liberals as you say.

I was not the one bringing the CDC into this, but tell me just what does the letters CDC stand for, and just how does that relate to firearms? IT DOES NOT.

truckermde

Reaction score
Obama and his damned liberal time-machine at it again...

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

TLI-Inferno

Reaction score

From what I've read, I don't see anything wrong about that.

It's also worth mentioning that it is really just recreating a policy that had expired in 2004. It's nothing new.

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make by linking this article, but most of it, from what I read (I didn't read all 15 pages, but I read a lot of it), seemed pretty reasonable to me.

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
America does have a gun problem. I'm not sure what caused it and I don't know how to end it.

Hundreds of years of history and culture "caused" it. And unless you can build a time machine to go back and redraft The Constitution, you're not going to fix anything without inciting a civil war and the establishment of a true police state. Much blood will be shed, resources will be depleted, and the flow of weapons into the U.S. will continue.

Think its worth it?

kmk108

Reaction score
My computer died in class today... Thanks Obama :laugh2:

I know plenty of liberals who support gun ownership. I also know quite a few conservatives who don't. Political affiliation, though pretty strongly related, isn't a deciding factor on the stance on this issue.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My computer died in class today... Thanks Obama :laugh2:

I know plenty of liberals who support gun ownership. I also know quite a few conservatives who don't. Political affiliation, though pretty strongly related, isn't a deciding factor on the stance on this issue.

Gun ownership is not a left/right issue. Like many issues that are not left/right, it is individualist/authoritarian.

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gun ownership is not a left/right issue...

Maybe not, but 2nd am rights are/were supported by the GOP plank in the last Presidential Election. And I assume it remains part of their national policy, generally.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Maybe not, but 2nd am rights are/were supported by the GOP plank in the last Presidential Election. And I assume it remains part of their national policy, generally.

The media narrative is the conservative = pro gun and liberal = anti gun. It's easy to see that distinction when you have hypocrites like Feinstein and Bloomberg. However, if you want to put labels on anti-2Aers, I'd say progressives fit that bill quite well, especially since they lean towards the authoritarian side of individualist/authoritarian. IMO, liberal != progressive.

Because of the media narrative, it won't stop GOP candidates from running pro-2A or Dem candidates from running anti-2A. I'm interested to see how the issue will be addressed (or avoided) in the midterms.

TLI-Inferno

Reaction score
Canada has 35 million people and 10 million guns. The US has 314 million people and 310 million guns. Come on, Canada. You're slackin'!

Most of the guns in the US are little .22's for target practice, though, while most of the guns in Canada are giant cannons that fire forks and glass into the sky to kill the evil geese. That's why all of the Canadian Geese come down here and piss us off shitting all over the place.

Latest Threads