Upsized Les Paul?

Oddball667

Reaction score
....you could even make a "double neck" version so you could play like your favorite dead "guitar hero" ... As in not at all!!!
Now you to can play just like Hendrix DOES!!!!

DBDM

Reaction score
Fairly sure the Buckethead is what you are looking for (and the only one I am aware of). It is tuned for Baritone but if you want to play it in standard tuning, just use a capo. It is really a remarkable instrument and very versitile. There is a reason why they were in the $4k range new, then closed out, and now sell for more. Anyone who tries one is usually pretty instantly in love with it. i think there is enough "love" out there for Gibson to re-introduce them someday. Also be aware that there is a "Buckethead" SG. It is not labeled "buckethead" but says BH in the control panel. No kill switches but everything else is the same as the Buckethead LP. They can usually be purchased in the $1500 (ish) range vs the LP that is usuallly in the $5-6k range

keys88

Reaction score
Isn't this why BB went with an ES-355? Because he thought a smaller guitar looked odd with his bigger frame? If it were me I would go the same route. You can get most of the same tones and then some with a good ES.

bum

Reaction score
There is always the 335s which is sort of a solid bodied 335

L3rxst

Reaction score
Vintage V100 Midge Ure signature model. I have one and it’s fantastic

Lester

Reaction score
My 1993 les Paul weighs about 11.5lbs ,and I totally see how a 25lbs les Paul would be great!!
Who couldn't benifit from extreme back pain , just think of the possibility of young man buying a "classic guitar " when he's say 19. Now with the new "bigger" body he to can be "classic" himself with a slipped disk and not being able to stand straight..... You may be onto something here , I'd contct the Gibson marketing team , these could go for like $12.000 a pop !
Yes, exactly.

Wait... are you being sarcastic?

Lester

Reaction score
... Because he thought a smaller guitar looked odd with his bigger frame?...
BB thanks you from the Guitar Heaven beyond for your selective choice of "frame".

palmerfralick

Reaction score
I had an idea a while back for a larger LP that would be a better fit for bigger guys like myself. I've owned a few LPs and was never totally comfy with the fit, so I thought a LP body that was scaled up 10 - 20% (closer to the size of an ES-139) might hit the sweet spot. Naturally it would have to be weight-relieved otherwise it'd weight a ton. Just wondering if there might be any interest in such a thing - Gibson could call it the LP Max or something like that.
The Guitarist Buckethead uses a white an oversized white Gibson Les Paul Custom. Gibson issued a few Custom examples as well as a Studio version. They are both baritone scale necks. My son had the studio version until it was stolen and I really can't recall if the body on his was as big as Buckethead's personal Les Paul or not. Good hunting

turbineguy

Reaction score
My 1993 les Paul weighs about 11.5lbs ,and I totally see how a 25lbs les Paul would be great!!
Who couldn't benifit from extreme back pain , just think of the possibility of young man buying a "classic guitar " when he's say 19. Now with the new "bigger" body he to can be "classic" himself with a slipped disk and not being able to stand straight..... You may be onto something here , I'd contct the Gibson marketing team , these could go for like $12.000 a pop !
I did say it would have to be weight relieved...

kakerlak

Reaction score
Consider a 1990s Guild Bluesbird or late ‘80s Nightbird. They are fantastic and slightly larger alternatives to an LP.
These are one of the best bargains out there. Guild was getting some really pretty tops, too. They're extensively chambered, but solid carved tops, so weight seems pretty consistent around the 8# mark. Very consistent quality. Came stock with SD59s, which I never liked, but will accept any standard humbucker you want.

Latest Threads