UPS....grrrr

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just a rant about why I dislike UPS.

You may or may not know that when shipping something via UPS from the US to Canada, UPS will charge a "brokerage fee" to the recipient. Which is why I always avoid UPS from the US if possible.

Last month I bought some pickups from a manufacturer in the US. Just a few pups...couple of hundred bucks. I have dealt with this maker for years and they are great. But they just changed their shipping couriers and I told them explicitly...NO UPS....and they said no prob....they'll use USPS.

Anyway, they pickups arrived at my door by UPS. And the driver wanted his "brokerage fee" which was $119. I said no way, I'm refusing the package.

Got in contact with the winder and they said they made a mistake and shipped out via UPS. Then they said they paid UPS for the package to be returned, and when they get it back they'll send it USPS.

About a week later the UPS guy is at my door again with the same package. I said "I refused this package, no way I'm paying that brokerage fee" He told me, "you don't owe anything....It's been paid for" When I asked by who? he didn't know. So I took the package.

Yesterday I got a letter from UPS informing me that I owe $119. I called them and explained everything that happened....didn't make any difference. Customer service just said I owe the money and that's that.

Snakes.

BigJim

Reaction score
Egads...

Did a swap with a dude in Canada, I used USPS he used Fed Ex. It took 6 weeks to get to him, my stuff got to me in 3 days..

six-string

Reaction score
Fwiw FEDEX do the exact same thing. Which is why I stopped buying from USA except in person or using USPS for shipping. Also you forgot to mention UPS and FedEx also charge sales tax 13% on their brokerage fees too.

redking

Reaction score
UPS are scumbags. Same thing here - I never choose that as a shipping option.

Bro KV

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only issue with FedEx is when it says delivery on Monday and shows up Saturday needing a signature. Otherwise I’ve always had good luck with them. USPS and UPS on the other hand, yikes.

Skeletor

Reaction score
I've had similar issues with FedEx - the bill for brokerage arrives in the mail months after the fact.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just a rant about why I dislike UPS.

You may or may not know that when shipping something via UPS from the US to Canada, UPS will charge a "brokerage fee" to the recipient. Which is why I always avoid UPS from the US if possible.

Last month I bought some pickups from a manufacturer in the US. Just a few pups...couple of hundred bucks. I have dealt with this maker for years and they are great. But they just changed their shipping couriers and I told them explicitly...NO UPS....and they said no prob....they'll use USPS.

Anyway, they pickups arrived at my door by UPS. And the driver wanted his "brokerage fee" which was $119. I said no way, I'm refusing the package.

Got in contact with the winder and they said they made a mistake and shipped out via UPS. Then they said they paid UPS for the package to be returned, and when they get it back they'll send it USPS.

About a week later the UPS guy is at my door again with the same package. I said "I refused this package, no way I'm paying that brokerage fee" He told me, "you don't owe anything....It's been paid for" When I asked by who? he didn't know. So I took the package.

Yesterday I got a letter from UPS informing me that I owe $119. I called them and explained everything that happened....didn't make any difference. Customer service just said I owe the money and that's that.

Snakes.

So, what would happen if you just told UPS, "You want the $119? Blow me!"

That's really shitty of them. Bastids!

fry

Reaction score
Late last year, I bought a used Blackstar HT 40. The price was good, and it’s more than enough amp for my needs. It went out on the UPS truck for delivery one day, and didn’t come. Didn’t come the next day, or the day after that, and so on. They lost a 50+ pound combo amp. Never had that happen before. I wasn’t brokenhearted, they are pretty widely available, but it did end up being a little bit of a headache to get it settled.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I ship all over the world with all three of the big shippers. They all have problems but none of them are steady nightmares. For me, I prefer USPS Express because the customs forms for the other two are like a solid half hour of administrative labor per shipment and different for each country. USPS is a one page simple "description / weight / cost / country of origin" form and is the same for the entire world. No worries about product category codes and tariffs and if/then statements and other such nonsense.

I really don't think any of the big three are better/worse than each other, anymore. FedEx maybe had an edge pre-COVID but nobody guarantees anything and promises don't count anymore.

If I need something delivered International the next day or the day after (at least to Canada) FedEx is the only way that even might happen. If you count on "Next Day" really being "Within the Next Three Days" then you are probably safe.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you don’t!!!!
Employee tells you you don’t owe anything, you don’t owe anything.

That’s their deal. My people screw up the money in your favor, you win. My people screw up the money in my favor, you still win. I’ll find you.

Bidness is bidness. If I don’t run mine right, that’s my problem.

I’d fight that all the way to the top just on principle. The entertainment factor would just be a bonus.

ElChoad

Almost a dick, almost an asshole, close to nuts.
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Want the easy solution? Don't live in Canada, eh?:rofl:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Oh, as for the fees / taxes / etc. All of that is country-specific and, as a shipper, I have absolutely no idea what that might be on the other end until it happens and I hear about it, after. It seems to change all the time with no real pattern I can see.

It can also be at-the-whim of some other person, as well. For Italy, for instance, I can ship the same thing to the same person with the same form three times and they will pay three extremely different amounts in fees depending how bad someone else in the chain of delivery in their country wants to rape them on a given day.

FedEx DOES have a little drop down selection in the shipping section where I could volunteer to have any taxes/duties/fees/additional costs billed to my FedEx account and not the recipient. ...but there's almost no way I would ever agree to that, considering it's basically writing a blank check to "cash" and hoping for the best.

Latest Threads