UPS broke my guitar!

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
I ran across a cool partscaster Tele last week on FB Marketplace. I decided to pick it up. Unfortunately the guitar didn’t comes with a case so the guitar was shipped wrapped in bubble wrap and stuffed into a guitar box with paper. It must have taken a big hit because the neck is nearly separated from the body. All four screws stripped out. Now I have to go to my repair guy and have him plug the holes, redrill the neck, put it back on and set the guitar back up. It’s my second guitar that UPS has broken this year!

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
no offense but it's a Telecaster, it's a tank, why put it in a box like that? Just unscrew the neck and wrap that in bubble wrap. Wrap the body in bubble wrap. And ship them like that.

I've never heard of someone just sticking a guitar in a box like that. That's sort of nuts.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
no offense but it's a Telecaster, it's a tank, why put it in a box like that? Just unscrew the neck and wrap that in bubble wrap. Wrap the body in bubble wrap. And ship them like that.

I've never heard of someone just sticking a guitar in a box like that. That's sort of nuts.
This.

And that is a distinct advantage of a bolt on neck.

I only ship guitars in a hard case when completed, but a bolt on can be shipped in two separate boxes, obviously.

sonar1

Reaction score
At least no broken wood, and repairable.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
repairable with toothpicks and wood glue at that.

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
As I was unwrapping the 80 billion wraps of bubble wrap around the neck, I wondered to myself “Self, why is the action 1 1/2” on this guitar?” It needed more padding to be shipped this way, and you are right, it would have been better in two pieces.

I’ll drop it off with my guy tomorrow morning. I wanted him to add a 4 way switch anyways…I just wanted to try it out before it spend a few days in the shop. Now I have to beat $ out of the shipper…who admitted this was their first time shipping a guitar. I gave them advice and sent them the Reverb article. It didn’t stick.

I Break Things

Reaction score
That sucks. That Tele must have taken a serious hit. I shipped mine (neck and body separated) in my checked bag once. When I went to baggage claim, the headstock was sticking out of the side of my luggage. Damn things can take a hit. It's my official punk rock, throw-at-your-pedalboard-when-you're-pissed guitar.

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPS did relic work on the guitar, you should pay them for adding mojo.
I think this one rests on the seller’s packing job and not UPS.

FWIW I’ve worked at UPS in my college days during the run up to Christmas for extra cash. Nobody there was using the word “careful”.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
That sucks.

I got a MIM Strat, cheap, on eBay a number of years ago. No case, no gig bag. It looked like the (re)seller was more familiar with hammer drills than guitars. After winning the auction, in the notes, I suggested removing the 4 screws, the neck and individually bubble wrapping the body, neck, and screws & plate then using a smaller box to ship it all. Of course, using the small box was a benefit to them. The benefit to me was that the no clue what to do with a guitar seller wasn't going to wreck my guitar with shipping.

When the package arrived, I was glad I'd suggested it because some screws were rolling around in the box and the bubble wrap was pretty lean....packing was not up to snuff.

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
I agree that this definitely could have been packed better. Considering I ended up buying a HSC case for it, I should have just shipped that to the seller, and had them ship the guitar in the case!

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being that it's a Tele, they fucked up by bubble wrapping it. Should have just duct taped 2 pillow cases together and threw it in the back of a truck. Can't baby these beasts. They like it rough

Latest Threads