Upgrading Studio

mcl116

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Alpine White Les Paul Studio.

I just purchased all new pots, caps, switch and pick ups.

Was wondering if there's anything worth replacing to get the best tone possible out of this thing?

Nut? Bridge? Tailpiece?

frater106

Reaction score
Is this a Gibson or an Epiphone? What pickups did you purchase? What are you trying to achieve?

mcl116

Reaction score
Bone nut cut properly

Any particularly revered vendor to go to for this?

Is this a Gibson or an Epiphone? What pickups did you purchase? What are you trying to achieve?

2003 Gibson.

I'm putting in a pair of the Mojo PAF 59 Vintage pickups (UK, not Mojotone), and 50s wiring harness from Jonesy.

Play almost entirely rock.

Not sure if replacing nut, bridge, tailpiece (maybe even the posts?) will make any sort of difference so figured I'd come to the experts here

Knoby

Reaction score
Play almost entirely rock.

Not sure if replacing nut, bridge, tailpiece (maybe even the posts?) will make any sort of difference so figured I'd come to the experts here
You are right. They won't make much difference to the tone. Electronic components will make the difference. Not because of quality or price but for different electronic values, meaning they'll handle the signal differently.

For example a $3 500k pot will sound the same as a $15 500k pot. But any 500k pot will sound different to a 300k pot.

frater106

Reaction score

frater106

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Alpine White Les Paul Studio.

I just purchased all new pots, caps, switch and pick ups.

Was wondering if there's anything worth replacing to get the best tone possible out of this thing?

Nut? Bridge? Tailpiece?
Being a Gibson, the switches, jack, and pots should all already be good. You could try paper-in-oil tone capacitors (also available from Jonesy-where I got mine). The pickups may help for a more vintage sound. Was the 490R/498T Standard in ‘03? Those are more modern sounding pickups. Otherwise, you could invest in a nice strap and strap locks (DiMarzio makes a basic one that’s only like $25 on Sweetwater-it’s 2”.) link: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DD2200BK--dimarzio-2-inch-cliplock-guitar-strap-black-nylon

You could get them in cotton or nylon, black, white, or colors.

Last edited:

frater106

Reaction score
Otherwise, I’d focus on cables, amp, amp cover, hardshell guitar case, effects pedals. Of course, locking tuners would also be an option (about $80-$100) on Sweetwater. Get Grover. Your hardware (bridge and tailpiece should also be good).

Latest Threads